Maternal & Child Community
six months pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

six months pregnant

I am six months pregnant and am taking suboxone. When I found out I was pregnant, my dose was 3 pill per day. Now I'm down to a half. I'm getting closer to the wire now and I don't want my baby to have to have any discomfort because of her stupid mommy! Does anyone know anyone that has been pregnant and on suboxone?! PS. I've researched it and know about the cat. C drug, blah blah blah. I just am curious about people's personal experience. What happened to the baby? Do they go through withdrawls if you're taking a low dose?  Will they take the baby away if the docs find out I was taking this while pregnant!  I'm scared to death!
Should you be taking this drug while pregnant? It sounds not. You reallly shouldnt be if you are not suppose to, especially if you are concerned about it harming your baby in anyway. I would stop taking them and tell my doctor right away. Who told you to only take half?

I wish you the best.
What is this drug for?  Is it prescription or illegal?  I've never heard of suboxone before.  If you're worried about your baby and you don't medically need the drug, I would stop taking it.  It's best for the baby when you don't take anything at all.
I would honestly talk to you ob Dr.  At some point the pharmacy will figure out you are pregnant and will talk to you about it and ask if your Dr. is aware.  If you haven't gone over this with your Dr., they may alert him/her, or refuse to dispense it till you get the okay.  Sometimes it's better to take the drug than not, I'm not too sure on this one, but you really need to sit down and talk to your OB.  I don't think they will take away your baby because you are taking a prescription, especially if you had no idea what would happen.  You are going to be a mom tnow, so it's time to think about baby and put them first.  Suck it up and go in to talk with your Dr.  It will be best to get it done now while you have some time to get ready.
cat C blah blah blah - sounds like you are real worried.  I never give into these type of questions but since the forum is here and they get asked so much I guess I will.

Use of buprenorphine and naloxone during pregnancy may cause withdrawal symptoms in a newborn baby. Do not take buprenorphine and naloxone if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.

Cat C means not tested on - no mature mother would ever let themselves be tested while pregnant on something like this so your baby is a test baby.  the Angels will look out for your baby you need to take care of yourself if this is for real.

Get help your life will change forever in 3 months and it is the best change you could have ever dreamed of.
Hi, I don't know if you are still on these boards or not, or if you have had your baby, but I would love to hear from you?
Just make sure you tell your dr.  I don't know how long you have been taking it.  The longer you are on it the worse the withdrawals will be.  
You will experience withdrawals, very much like the withdrawals you wold experience from your drug of choice whether it's pills or heroin (not sure why you;re taking the Sub) regardless of how high your dose is so it's not advisable whether you're taking this drug or another opaite to go through w/d while pregnant because it can cause you to go into pre-term labor.  The stress on your body will be very intense for at least 62 hours or so and any drug that you would normally take to make that easier and bearable you cannot take while pregnant, like xanax and valium because they are known to cause birth defects.  
What I would suggest you do since you said you are down to half a pill and I assume that means half of an 8mg pill, is to get to the lowest dose you can possibly handle.  It shouldn't be that hard at your dose but remember Sub has a long half life so you will probably not feel any w/d symptoms until well after you've gone 36 hours after your last dose.  
I know people who have tapered and gone down to a crumb of an 8 mg pill. Get to that dose by tapering a portion of the half of the pill every 72 hours so yourbody can adjust to that new dosing.  
I'm sure your dr will agree that stopping isn't the best thing for you.  One because of the withdrawals and 2 because you obviously were addicted to something and if you're not taking the sub the chances of a relapse are extremely high.
Cat C means that there have not been any adequate studies done but it also means that there haven't been any documented reports of defects arising directly from taking this drug while pregnant.  It's a relatively new drug on the market becoming more widely used each day but there aren't many long term studies on it.  There aren't many reports on the effects of this drug for anyone no less for a pregnant woman so that could be good and bad.  
Since opiates (pain killers) are considered relatively safe during pregnancy if taken for a short time, long before delivery and not in the first trimester, and as prescribed, this might be ok, but i'm not a dr.
If the dr and hospital know about your taking this and are prepared for possible withdrawals in the baby and the baby exhibits any  symptoms after it's born they can treat that rather easily, provided withdrwals are the only concern here.  It's when you're not honest it gets you in trouble.  And believe me, they can tell right away.
I wish you both the best of luck.
The only reason I would worry about Children Services is because you did not tell your doctor you were on this medication.  I had a baby on methadone and yes, children services did come in to my home but they only stayed involved for about a month.  If you had told your doc, they would have done some intensive ultra sounds to make sure the baby is okay and you would have to deal with the services but probably only for a short time unless there was some reason for them to be concerned.
i would talk to your doctor, be honest . it's probably better to come off before the baby is born under docs' care. you will likely be drug tested when baby is born. as long as you and baby stay clean CPS will not be involved or if they are not for long. i was on subs, not while pregnant. i got off and have been drug free for almost 1 year. you can do it.
Ok I'm sure that you've had your baby and I'm sure he/she is fine. But I know people still come here to read these posts because I did. Nobody will take your baby away as long as the suboxone was given by your doctor.And I've also read that being on a lower does doesn't have anything to do with whether your baby will go through withdrawel or not it just depends on the baby I guess. I am also pregnant and on suboxone and am also worried. But the more and more I read the better I feel. I haven't read anything yet where a parent has said something was wrong with their baby when it was born because of suboxone. And you def cannot go through any withdrawl (withdrawal) while you're pregnant so if you're on suboxone or methadone then just stay on it, don't mess with your dose just continue as you were. If you are doing any illegal drug you need to go to a methadone clinic or see a doctor about getting on suboxone ASAP. I've also been reading about another drug like suboxone call subutox, it has the same medas in it as suboxone accept for a drug called I think nalaxone (something like that) which is what is harmful, so subutox sounds like a good option for all of you mothers who are on suboxone and worried or are needing to get off of anything else. I myself am going to talk to my doctor about getting on it, I'll check back and let everyone know how it went. But just stay strong and I know it's scary but try not to worry too mucj, stress isn't good for the baby, he/she wants a happy momma!
hey i really wanna know how your pregnancy and the birth went iam taking suboxone and iam at a quarter , and im only 8 weeks prego . i told my doctor and noooo they wont take the baby!!!!! as a matter of fact they REALLY help you to get things going and tell you how to take it and set you up with a really good doctor because you are high risk pregnacy!  and if you want they can even get you help to get completely off it or taper down , they were so0o0o0 helpfull to me and im hoping i have a healthy baby i go for my early ultrasound today as a matter of fact! and if anyone else knows of good outpatient help for pregnant women in new jersey(south) let me know i have a few friends who need it !
I was taking suboxone for three years when i found out i was pregnant. tell your doctor but DO NOT stop taking it, you will have withdrawls and harm your baby even worse.  I only took 2-3 mg a day and my baby was born absolutely perfect and had no withdrawls at all.  If you lower your dose, particularly towards the end, she/he will most likely have no withdrawls.  For me, I was scared as well b/c of the lack of research, but my lil angel is 4 months old and advanced as far as average milestones.  You shouldn't stress anymore as long as you take it in moderation or as prescribed, stressed is no way to be for 9 whole months, good luck and I hope this helps take a weight off your shoulders.  God Bless!
I was addicted to opiets 4 2years I got on tha suvoxone program , was on it 4 about 5mnths I was doing gr8 I strted to get weaned off of it n was feeling fine. I finally got off of it about a mnth later I strted to hav weird withdrawls outa nowhere n then I jus found out Im  pregnant I'm gna strt on suboxone again bcuz I am having withdrawls during pregnancy. Id rather not take any medication but I dnt wana feel like crap thru my whole pregnancy either so I'm gna only take 2 8mg suboxone a week that's all I need cuz with one I'm good 4 3 days so hpfully my baby wnt b affected I'm gna try to wean off b4 tha baby is born so he/she won't hav any problems cuz I want a healthy baby. Goodluck to all u mothers who r pregnant n on suboxone.  :-)
If you are reading this post it is probably because you are on suboxone and have found out that you are pregnant and you are worried!  I would like to say I am speaking from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I was on suboxone for over a year, found out I was pregnant, and then immediately switched to subutex.  My detox dr wanted me to stay on it but my o.b.g.y.n. wanted me to taper off, he said the baby would be fine (I was about 10 weeks along at this point) if I tapered slowly.  So that's what I did.  

It was not too hard I had restless legs for about a week and only got a total of about 2-3 hrs sleep per night, had mild diarhea (diarrhea), and extreme fatigue for about a month.  If I had to work during this time I couldn't have done it, but I am a stay at home mom with 3 other children.  Energy level started coming back on about day 19 or 20 and it got better from there.

I was off for a full month when I broke my foot in 2 places and couldn't stand it anymore and had to go back on (this was around 7 months along), so for the remainder of the pregnancy I took 2mg's or lit'l less of subutex once daily!  I did not tell any of my dr's because I had so much left over because my detox dr was giving me much more all along than I needed.  

My baby was fine!!  She weighed 9lb's 4oz's and her apgar scores were 9 and 9!  I do believe she did have some mild withdrawal symptoms such as high pitched cry and was generally fussy compared to my other 3 children.  I also noticed a little muscle stiffness and it took her about a week to nurse well because her mouth and tongue were kinda tight!  But she was 100 percent better by the time she was a month old.  I did tell my pediatrician that I was on some pain med's because of broken foot and to please let me know if he thought she was having wd's (I was very scared and worried).  He thought she was fine and didn't even say anything about any of the things I noticed!

I have read many posts that state NAS (neonatal abstinence syndrome) is not related to the amount of the drug you were taking, but I beg to differ!  I was only taking a couple of crumbs from an 8mg tablet which was no more than 2mg's daily so I would not suggest taking anymore than that.  I would also suggest that you tell your dr for the safety of you and your baby.

And one more thing, I had an epidural which worked perfectly and a shot of demerol before the anesthesiologist arrived that worked pretty well (it didn't do much for the pain but it def. made me high- my point is I don't think the subutex blocked the demerol from working).
I am posting this for the same reason the above poster did, but I have a different story.  I was perscribed 12 mg of Suboxone a day when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter.  My addiction doctor switched me to Subutex because he said the Naloxone could be harmful to the baby.  I quizzed him in depth about if the drug could harm my baby or not, and he told me he had seen many "Subutex babies" in his practice through the years and they were all fine, no withdral symptoms noted.  I was also upfront with my OB and told them at every pre natal visit I was still taking 12mg of Subutex a day.  They never once told me to go off it or taper down, because the addiction doctor and my pre natal doctor both agreed that it was best for the pregnancy and the baby if I stayed at a stable dose and took care of myself.  Jade was born at almost 39 weeks and was perfect.  She is now almost a year old and is very intellegent and way ahead in almost all her milestones.  She didn't suffer any withdral symptoms.

I am now 30 weeks pregnant with another girl and still taking 8mg of Subutex daily.  This time, the thought of the medicine hurting my baby hasn't even crossed my mind.  I don't worry about it at all because I know there is nothing to worry about.  As long as I don't run out of medication and have to suffer through withdrawls, I know I will be fine.  And anyone else out there that is pregnant and taking Subutex, you and your baby will be fine as well.
Ok I know what people say about reasearch and all that but can some people that have actually given birth after being on suboxone nd the outcome get on here and share their experience??