Maternal & Child Community
sleep apnea/pauses between breathings??!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Today was watching my 1 month old breath while sleeping so then all of the sudden she paused for a second n stareted breathing again! i freaked out n picked her up and she did like 3 more times and resume. I called the her peditrician n the nurse called back so she send me to the e.r i went w my husband n they checked her n said that was normal as long as is not more than 20 seconds n she doesnt turn blue!! But what gets me is that they say it like is nothing serious i mean if it gets to the point you have to perform cpr n call 911! So the e.r doc said that is common in newborns, they just learning how to breath and that it can happen to any baby so she wasnt diagnose w sleep apnea..i just feel worry that i have to b chekin her to make she is breathing n it really stresses me out...has anybody gone through this????
Sleep aphnea is normally characterised by stopping breathing and then when you start again it is a sharp intake of breth not normal. Sometimes even enough to wake yourself up. My children all did what you are describing and I think you will find we all do sometimes. I know when my husband is aslepp he dose the same thing. I hope this helps put your mind at ease. Good Luck
My boys both did this too, babies do that.  I was a nervous wreck when they would sleep for long periods of time.  Mine were both colicky so we didn't get much sleep, but during the day they would rest more.  I would sleep with them next to my bed so I could hear them breathing & I would check on them, if you notice the breathing pause,they usually just need a touch to remind them.  The thing about breathing is that if you were to pass out, you would begin to breathe when unconscious.  (That's what they teach you in CPR anyway & my daycare provider had a little boy who would hold his breath till he passed out too.)  It's still a scary thing, I kept my babies in my room the first year- and even with Cars 6 & Cam almost 3- -I get up at night still & listen (I can hear them across the hall).  If it's too quiet I go in there & check.  I remember asking the Dr. about this too with Cars.
This happened with my now 19 mos old.  Right around 2 weeks old I noticed he was doing the exact same thing and I took him to the ER.  They said it is very commong but for MY peace of mind, they admitted him to the hospital overnight and hooked him up to an apnea monitor.  The next morning they reviewed the results and said everything was perfectly normal, that newborns sometimes take a little while to regulate their breathing, but to stick with the putting him on his back to sleep, not using blankets, don't keep it too warm in the room he sleeps in etc.  After another several weeks I noticed he wasn't doing it anymore.  

My oldest who is now 13 did this as well, the only different then was they ordered an in home apnea monitor that we used for aweek, but all was well with her too.  

I still go in and check to make sure my kids are breathing if I can't him them.  I guess I'm paranoid LOL
My son was born at 33 weeks and had for a long time what they call "apnea of prematurity" where he would stop breathing for a little bit.  Here's what I learned about it:

Apnea of Prematurity can last until a baby is 43 weeks (e.g. 3 weeks after 40-week due date). A baby's brain is still maturing, and they sometimes forget to breathe.  It is not considered an apnea spell until it lasts for more than 10 seconds.  

My suggestion (as a parent, not a clinician) is when you see it, take a deep breath and count to 5.  If he's still not breathing, play with his foot a little bit.  Do things that make him uncomfortable to help him remember to breathe again.  And if he doesn't grow out of it within the next month, or if a spell lasts 10 seconds, call the pediatrician again.