Maternal & Child Community
sleeping on stomach!! When should I stop!!!!??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi ladies, I had a silly question, maybe its not silly but I wanted to know when do I have to stop sleeping on my stomach. I am 9w3d now and I still sleep on my stomach, is it hurting the baby at all when I do sleep on my stomach? But when should I stop?
I would say it is fine until it is no longer comfortable for you.
You'll know when it is time...it just won't be comfortable anymore!
Your baby is just fine. It's protected by a lot of cushioning. You should stop when it is no longer comfortable for you. You'll know. Congrats on your pregnancy!
I am 16 weeks and I have quite a hump. I find myself sleeping on my stomach. It's not really uncomfortable yet, but I try to sleep on my left side while cuddling a body length pillow with my arms, stomach, and legs. It helps.
I was still sleeping on my stomach at 16 weeks. not purposely though, i would wake up and be on my stomach. never hurt the baby though. when my stomach got too big and it was very awkward and uncomfortable, i could not sleep on my stomach any longer.
My Dr. told me it was fine untill it wasn't comfortable anymore. And sometimes I would wake up and be on my belly. The Dr. said that was fine too. For that short of time it wouldn't have caused any damage.
I dont think this is a silly question. I always slept on my stomach and miss it so much! I stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant just because I would worry. I remember asking the nurse about sleeping on my stomach and she said it was fine (I was very early on then, about 8 weeks). But I just didnt feel comfortable. I've never heard of a mother hurting her baby by sleeping on her tummy. I cant really tell you a week/ month to stop but at this point, your fine.  I couldnt obviously do it now (36 weeks) but when I lean a little to much on it, she shifts on the oppsite side (I think she gets mad..lol) Good luck and talk to your dr.
Good news! you dont have to stop the entire time, you can manipulate yourself so that you are laying on you stomach partly and not putting presure on that growing bump, i did it up until delivery,

this is what i did and it saved me many restless hours of tossing and turning(since my normal sleeping position is on my belly)

i would prop my leg up as far as it would go, and kind of lay on your side and your belly at the same time, sounds weird but it got me through, i couldnt lay on my back because i was so huge, and laying on my side didnt seem to cut it, my doctor said this is perfectly fine and you would feel uncomfortable way before the baby would be in any danger, hope this works for you!