Maternal & Child Community
slow teeth development

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

slow teeth development

Hi, I have a 15 month old girl who only has four teeth, she got her first at around 9 months and the sencond at 10.  She then got the two top ones just before her first birthday and then nothing. All her little friends of the same age have at least 10 and i was wondering if i should be concerned?  She is eating everything they are eating so chewing is not a problem.  Has anyone else had this happen to their children
My first dd didn't get her first two until she was a year old!!  She got the second about a week later.  The next two didn't show up until about a month or two after that.  So she's been slow with each set of two.  She's now 3 years old and perfectly fine.  They say that the later they get their teeth, the less likely they are to have problems with their teeth.  So look at it as a good thing!!
same thing w/ my 1st dd...  she didn't get her 1st tooth until after she turned 14 months old!!!  and it was one of the the ones on top.  and the olnly ones that came in in pairs were her cuspids (the pointy ones).  i swear we thought she wasn't ever going to have any teeth!!!  her teeth are perfect now.  the only thing i noticed that were different from her sister (whos came in on time) is that from right when they started coming in they weren't as white as should be.  but that also might be me just being nuts!!!
I wouldn't worry about it.  In fact, the later they get them, the better (less chances of getting cavities early in life, granted they're taken care of).  They'll be there when they're ready :))))  Btw, DD is also 15 month and she's got 14 teeth with 2 upper molars coming in at the moment.  It's driving me absolutely nuts since she doesn't let me brush them and I can barely get to her front teeth, let alone back teeth.  If she didn't have as many teeth, I wouldn't worry about not getting to the back :))  There is a plus and a minus in everything.  
Thanks for your comments, thought it would be fine but you know when other mothers say 'has she still only got four teeth?' it starts to get you thinking.  I know there is a plus to everything and i guess i should be thinking at least she isn't having teething issues but i'm sure my turn will come, thanks.