Maternal & Child Community
small gestational sac and fetal pole measuring smaller than gestational...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

small gestational sac and fetal pole measuring smaller than gestational age.

I went to have my first ultrasound on Jan. 22nd and much to my suprise the doctor told me that the fetal pole was measuring small.  I was supposed to be 7w2d at the time but it measured 6w2d.  Beyond that I was also told that the gestational sac was measuring smaller than the fetal pole.  There was a heartrate measured at 120bpm which I am told was fine.  I was told to try to be optimistic but guarded in my optimism.  Most stories associated with a small gestational sac are not happy ones.  My research has  given me the statistic that 80% of cases where the gestational sac measures small end in miscarrage (miscarriage).  Does anyone have more info on this?  Do they ever measure wrong?  Any information, be it good or bad, would be gratefully appreciated.
I should be between 9-10 weeks pregnant. I had previosuly gone to Planned Parenthood where an ultrasound was done Jan6, and at this time I was told I was about 6 1/2 weeks lmp. I went to my first prenatal visit with my doctor on Monday Jan 22, and at this time i should have been 9 weeks. The doctor did a pelvic exam and said I felt quite a bit bigger to her and that she expected I was actually 12-13 wks lmp. She did the doppler, but couldn't hear anything. I was scheduled for an ultrasound (both) where I was told that they didn't hear a heartbeat and that it was about the size of a 6 week fetus (lmp). So they are assuming this to mean it has stopped growing 3 weeks ago and that i will miscarry. I am still finding this hard to believe as I have had increasing pregnancy symptoms over the last 2 weeks, rather than decreasing. I feel like I just began getting morning sickness this week. My last period was Nov 18, so I cannot rationalize being less than 9wks. I have my next u/s on 2/2, I dont know whether to tell myself that there is no hope, or whether it may be really small, what is IUGR? Any thoughts?
I wish I knew!  The doctor told me that I may have ovulated later than I had expected which may make up for some of the time that the fetus is lacking but it does not explain why the gestational sac is so small.  I have a follow up ultrasound on feb 5th and can't imagine waiting another 10 days to find out if things have corrected themselves or if I need to prepare for the worst.  When you were at your last visit did they ever find a heartbeat?  Was there real proof that the pregnancy had passed or did they just tell you that the pregnancy was not up the estimated gestational age?  I will keep you in my thoughts.  I pray you get better news on feb. 2.
Thank you so much and likewise my prayers are with you.At the u/s they said they did not hear the heartbeat, 3 days before that my midwife did the pelvic exam and then used the doppler for just a few seconds but said she was unable to hear it. Immediately after the u/s yeterday they began discussing a potential miscarriage and my options to have an abortion after the next u/s.  I certainly do not want to have false hope but after reading many peoples' stories, it seems like it can go either way. I am going to keep praying like crazy and hope for better news next Friday. Thank you again and God Bless you.
Here is my story.

On my last pregnancy I went in for an ultrasound at 9 weeks. There was a heartbeat, but the gestational sac measured 2 weeks behind. The sono tech told me that she thought I should be prepared to miscarry. After weeks of torture I went back for a sono at 13 weeks and the baby and sac measured perfectly with my original dates.

I now have a healthy little 10 month old girl.

I think they can definitely measure wrong early on.
Thank you!  Now if I can just make it until feb 5 when my next ultrasound is scheduled!  I suppose all I can do at this point is hope for the best.
US is not an exact science, so try not to worry.  If you are cramping or spotting call your doc.

Your baby has a heartbeat and that is a wonderful sign.
I went to the march of dimes website and was unable to find anything related to small gestational sac.  I may be making things worse for myself but what were you able to find out?  I have not had any bleeding and have had all of the typical ailments associated with early pregnancy.  My next ultrasound is in a week and I am praying that things have corrected themselves.  Yet, although I am trying to stay optimistic, I would like to be armed with all of the information I can when I go in for my next Doctor visit.  Thank you!
I went through something very similar back in Oct.  My gestational sac was measuring small and I was spotting and my baby had a heartbeat.  Unfortunately I miscarried within a few weeks.  I did find some information at marchofdimes.com about common birth defects related to the small gestational sac. I do wish you the best.  I have since conceived again but just found out I that my babies quit growing about 3 weeks ago and am waiting to miscarry, yet again.  My prayers are with you.
Hi - I had an ultrasound on 1/25/07.  I should have been 8w1d but the sac and embryo measured 6w1d.  The OB thought she may have seen cardiac activity and scheduled another u/s.  They did another u/s on 1/29/07 and saw similar findings with no cardiac activity on a better u/s machine therefore m/c is basically inevitable.  I am opting to take misoprostol to hurry this m/c along.  I chose this because I had a m/c last year and had a d&c.  Although all went well with the procedure I did not like that it was such a big ordeal and I figured I didn't really need my uterus "scraped" more than once.  I also did not want the m/c carriage to occur at work or some other inconvienent place.  I plan to take the pills tomorrow and am a little scared about what will happen.  We are still trying for our first child.  I am 37y.  Anyways I just wanted to say that you are not alone and that others are going through the same thing you are.  It is very disappointing and upsetting but I had a feeling it was happening (although I have had no blood or spotting whatsoever) because for some reason I did not "feel" pregnant anymore even though I never had any strong symptoms.  Good luck - I hope your results are different than mine.  I can't believe you have to wait so long for the second u/s!!
Hi I am in the same boat!!!  I thought to be 9 weeks pregnant after having bloodtests confirm this.  I went for my 1st OBGYN appt this past Friday and have all teh symptoms morning sickness(lasting all day) sore & tender breasts etc.  Thsi is my 4th pregnancy other 3 no problems at all.  At my visit they did a vag u/s and said teh sac measured 6w2d when according to my calculations should be 9w1d??  The doctor mentioned dates could be wrong or ovulation could of occurred later etc.  I am scheduled for another vag u/s this coming Friday 1/30.  I am prepared for the worst i cannot comprehend the 3 week difference??  If I would be only 6 weeks that would mean I would of had a period in Dec and I never spotted or bled??  Is ther any hope for this to turn out I did not miscarry???
Also I forgot to mention the OB said at 6w2d teh heartbeat cannot be heard!!  SO I didnt hear a heartbeat!!  Good luck to you as well.  You are in my prayers!!
I'm 8 weeks pregnant, soon hitting the 9th week, but last week's ultrasound showed the fetus was 3-4 days behind in growth.  Then yesterday I went for another ultrasound and they said it's now 6 days behind.  The technician still said not to worry.  I've been going in for ultrasounds once or twice every week because I'm scared and I've had 2 miscarriages already, both in the first trimester.  My ob/gyn allowed me to get an ultrasound anytime I want to, and I'll just pay for that out of pocket, without a doctor's appt.  I keep praying that the baby keeps growing and the heart keeps beating.

By the way, at 6 weeks, we were able to see and hear the heartbeat through the ultrasound.
Actually a heartbeat can be seen and heard at 6w3d...I am living proof and the tech said the earliest she has ever detected heartbeats was 5w5d. I couldn't believe hearing my baby at alittle over 6 wks...awesome!