Maternal & Child Community
small gestational sac????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

small gestational sac????

I just had my first ultrasound on Friday October 20th. I should have been in my 9th week of pregnancy, but the doctor said the size of the baby indicated that it was only 6w5d gestational age. The Crown to Rump length was only 0.87 cm. She also stated that the gestational sac was "too small", but there was a heart beat at 140 BPM. She also pointed out that I have a cyst on my left ovary and that could be causing some cramping. She scheduled another ultrasound for the following week. In the meantime on Monday 10/23, I started spotting, so I immediatly called the doctor, who had me come in and have another ultrasound. At that time he told me I was having a "threatened abortion" and did a vaginal ultrasound and determined that the sac remained too small, but the heart beat was 163 BPM. He said to make sure that I still went had another ultrasound on Thursday 10/26, which I did. On 10/26 the tech stated the sac was still too small, but the baby had grown and was now 1.27 CM, 7W4D, with a heart beat of 158 BPM. The spotting has continued, but the doctor stated that unless the bleeding got worse, not to bother calling them. I have another ultrasound scheduled for Wed. 11/1/06. I just read that the gestational sac should be a minimum of 5mm larger than the Crown to Rump Length. The doctor told that this could still go either way and they are just going to continue to monitor the baby each week. Has anyone been through this? Should I be requesting regular blood test to monitor my HcG levels and Progesterone Levels? Any advise or hopeful stories would be very helpful.
I hope that your situation doesn't reflect mine. A small gestational sac is the cause of my m/c. I had a m/c on 8/24/06. My first u/s was at 5 wks nothing showed except the yolk sac. A week later I started spotting (brown).I called my dr. right away and I went in for another u/s. At that point there was a heart beat...I was so excited. The dr. told me not to worry brown blood is good. That was a Monday on Saturday I started spotting again...brown/pink. I went back to the dr he did another u/s, the baby's heart beat was still there but he told me that the sac was to small and may be I mixed up the dates. At that point I started doing research and realized that it wasn't a good thing at all. I was scheduled to get another u/s out of his office to confirm the size and age of the pregnancy on 8/25/06 but on 8/24/06 I started cramping and went back to the dr. for another u/s and well no more heart beat. He explained to me that it's not because the gestational sac was to small that i had the m/c but because something was initially wrong with the pregnancy causing the sac to be too small. I didn't expect that after getting a heart beat but it happened.
I hope you have a better outcome. GOD BLESS
I have never went through that, I have had 4 m/c but just went in an d no hbeat anymore, that was bad enouh. I'm sorry to hear about this and I wnated you to know I will pray for you and remembr miracles happen every day

God bless you and your baby
am currently 6 wks 1day pregnant confrmed by ultrasound today, I have been taking premetrium since the day I had a positive HCG blood test which was 32. At that point I was taking 200mg once a day and repeated the test 3 days later and it was 101, I then started taking it one in the morning and one at night. Last year Oct I miscarried at 8 wks 1day amd thetwas taking only 100mg ( however the gstation sac was off by three weeks and measured only 5 weeks 1day) I do beleive that the prometrium helps. The gestation sac this pregnancy is showing only 5 days small which is promising.

I was advised by my provider on day 16 of your cycle you should start taking the prometrium until you have a positve HCG(which you then continue taking it until about 16 weeks) or your next cycle begings and then you stop it. I hope this helps you a bit and I will give you more info if you have any other questions and concerns ( I work for my OB DR)

Shannon
I will keep you in my prayers, please do the same.
I have been through this.

With my last pregnancy I went in at 9 weeks for a sonogram. The baby measured a week small but the sac measured 2 weeks small. The baby filled almost the entire sac. The sono tech told me that I would probably miscarry and wanted me to go get hcg checks and put on progestrone. I called my doctor right away and my doctor didn't seem as concerned as the sono tech. She never checked my hcg or progestrone. She told me that she has seen the sac being up to a few weeks small several times and it turned out fine. I rented a doppler and checked the heartbeat daily starting at 9 weeks. Then at 13 weeks my doctor finally let me have another sono because of my stress. The sac and baby measured perfectly.

I know what you are talking about with the 5mm difference. Mine was  over 5mm difference but not very much. If I remember right it was 7mm difference. I had read if there is not a 5mm diff your chance of miscarriage is 80%.

I now have a healthy 7 month old girl.
Also, just in case you didn't know, they will always use "threatened abortion" as the diagnosis if there is spotting or anything unusual. This is the only way for the extra sonograms and bloodwork to be covered by insurance. That is always a scary diagnosis to read, but it doesn't have to mean anything bad.
Thanks everyone for your responses.  I will ask my DR about Prometrium.  I just wanted to give you all an update.  It looks like the spotting has stopped, which is great. I am definatly going to take the suggestions about getting a doppler.  I was thinking about doing that but since I am only going to be 8 weeks tomorrow, I did not want to get it too early and then be scared if it can not pick up a heart beat yet.  I figure I will rent it next week so I can start using it at 10 weeks.  I will keep praying that all goes well for all of us.  Let's keep eachother up to date because it really does help knowing you are not in this alone!  Thanks again!
Usually after they see YS, fetal pole and heartbeat they do not measure by HCG levels.  I go for my 2nd ultrasound Nov 9th.  Hopefully the sac has become larger and the heart is still beating.  Until then I am a nercous wreck with this waiting game.  I am trying to be positive since I was blessed with this pregnancy (one week shy of a year)after miscarrying. During that pregnancy the gestation sac was 3 weeks small than the baby,  This year it is showing 6 days smaller so there is still a glimmer of hope and lots of room for prayer.  

I hope all goes well with your Ultrasound tomorrow.  I will pray for you.
I  am suppost to be ten weeks today. I went for a ultrasound and my gestational sac measured about 5 or 6 weeks, this is my second pregnancy and i never experienced prolems like this before i hope everything is ok. i also wake up every night with mild cramps has this happened to anyone ealse?
Erika,
How did everything turn out for you? I went for my second u/s today and the gestational sac only measured 9mm. I am supposed 6wk5 days although I think this was a late implanter. I'm not sure if that matters or not. My first ultrasound a week ago showed a gestational sac of 6mm. Supposedly they are supposed to grow 1mm per day. I am way off if that is the case.

There was a yolk sac, fetal pole and heartbeat. But the Dr. told me to be cautiously optimistic.

This is hell.
kristen
I am also facing such a problem with small gestional sac. My pregnancy is 2months 3wks old.mY FIRST U/S SHOWS that my pregnancy is 2wks younger than my HCG values.I was programmed  for a next (28/10/2010)u/s and it was discovered that the embryo died 20days ago.So iam preparing to go in for a D and C on Monday 1/11/2010.
           Presently i am having a baby boy of 9months 2week.My first miscarriage was an ectopic pregnancy.I am so disturbed.
My sister had small gestational sac and large yolk sac for the gestational age at 6 weeks of pregnancy.  She was told to abort the baby by one doc.  She went to see another doc who did ultrasound and told everything was fine and it was okay to continue with the pregnancy.  She had an anomaly scan at around 3 months where they could not see the heart properly.  Repeated the scan 2 weeks later and told everything was okay.  She delivered 3 months back and had a baby with multiple abnormalities.  The heart has more than 5 defects.  The baby has a poor prognosis although seems okay and is surviving now.

It is a terrible thing to happen.  You cannot be sure what will happen next day.  This happened in India.  Maybe this will not happen in US or other developed countries.  However, be very careful and do all the scans and tests necessary to make sure the fetus is fine.  Undergoing termination of pregnancy is painful; however, it is even more painful to watch your precious baby in pain and to know that you cannot do anything to help.