small umbilical cord
My 3rd child was born with a really small umbilical cord.  She had all the right parts and such in it but, it was really small.
The nurses let me know that it was a good thing she wasn't really over due because she wasn't getting enough nutrition from it.
Hence, she was born 2 days before her due date and was only 6 pounds 7 oz, (our other children were 8pounds 14 oz and 8pounds 7oz)
In the beginning she was so small she had a hard time regulating her body tempurature and such.  Now, at 13 months old, she is still a peanut and weighs just over 19pounds.

I am wondering if there are any residual effects of having a small umbilical cord.  Also, she has started to have a protruding belly and belly button, (maybe a hernia?) could this be due to the umbilical cord issue at birth?

She is a very happy baby and seems healthy, just really small.
I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had something like this happen to them or what.  

Thanks.
My daughter is 18 months and weighs 20 lbs. I think she is small, but she is healthy.  The dr. never said anything except that she is in the 25% for size, but gaining regulary.  I think your baby sounds perfect.
you know my nephew has always been really small and i think it is more that we as a society have learned to except bigger as normal that now when we see a child that is a little smaller than average we think there is something wrong with them.

as long as they eat..and are growing and developing i wouldn't worry about it.. she may just have a fast motabolism, i know my nephew does.  he is now 4 and can run an entire mile and sound like he has been lounging on a couch the entire time.

oh yeah he also eats so slow it isn't funny....which is one reason he gets full faster than everyone else.

i say trust your pedi. if you are still concerned bring it up to them...they can pull your childs growth progress and discuss it with you.
~nanci
My DS was 7lbs 14 oz and 21 1/2" long at birth.  At 6 yrs old he only weighs 37 Lbs.  I swear he should weigh over 100 lbs since all he eats is pasta by the pound.
My daughter just turned 5 and only weighs 36 lbs. She was 6lbs 7ozs at birth. My daughter is still little for her age but she makes up for that in many other ways lol. I myself was alwasy smaller when I was young and enjoyed it. Your daughter will be just fine. I wish you and your family the best.
There shouldn't be any long lasting effects from this.  It's more of an issue for a fetus who may have impaired placental blood flow through a narrow or thin cord.  Such infants are sometimes small at birth.
Likewise, there should be no reason to connect this with a hernia or protruding belly button or tummy.  Many children have small umbilical hernias.  

I'm glad she is doing well now.
My dd was only 5 lbs. 4 ounces at birth,and at a year only weighed 15 pounds.Now she's 10,is 5'6" and weighs 107 pounds....Don't worry,they all grow.My son also had a protruding belly and belly button. We used to rub the "budda belly",and it disappeared when he was around 4 or 5.
My DD weighed 6lb and 13oz at birth, she is now 7 years old and only weighs 40lbs. The doctor said she is fine, they have never been concerned with her weight. She is a tall and slender girl, I still have to put her in size 6 clothes.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as she is eating and getting the nutrients she needs..
Mandy
Thank you all for such wonderful responses!
It really helped put my husband and my fears to rest.

I just found this place yesterday and already, have lots of great information.