Maternal & Child Community
smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

smoking

I am having my 4th child , i am almost 14wks pg. and i am having such a hard time quiting smoking, i smoked with my other pregnancy's but i cut down alot, as i have done with this one, but seem to be smoking more then i should. cut down for a few days and back to it again, i know i am wrong at doing this and i am not looking for ppl for give me heck, just need advice, i talked to doc but they said no to patch and gum.
would really like to hear from ppl who have smoked or still do, that know how hard it is.

thank you
I, too, am pregnant with my 4th child.  I am in my 6th month, and have recently quit smoking.  I know how hard it is.  I have quit one minute only to have begun smoking again.  This has been the pattern for a number of years.  I taper down considerably, but have never been able to get a firm hold on quitting.  So this time, I just did it.  I am totally miserable on one hand, but feel completely free on the other.  It was important for me to find other ways to reduce stress in my life.  Quitting everything and withdrawing wasn't an option, so I do things like take brisk walks when the urge hits ( I walk alot now), or jump in the shower ( I have never been so clean).  I break out the board games with my kids.  I never just sit anymore without something to occupy my time, either in thinking or in physical activity.  Don't let yourself get bored.  Keeping busy has never been a problem for me.  But now I try to keep busy doing activities that I would do for enjoyment.  I live in a small bush village in Alaska.  Population 100.  I am the Mayor, the only Health Care Provider, Capt. of the EMS squad.  No problem staying busy.  But these positions keep me busy with everyone else's problems and cause stress.  The family-oriented type activities are stress relievers.  I try to get as much balance between the two lives I lead as I can.  This helps.  The desire to quit is the first hurdle.  Once that desire is in place, it is only a matter of time before the rest of the sequence begins.  Forge on, you can do it.  

Regards, and supportive thoughts,
Shelly
The best advice I can give if to cut back at first. Cold turkey is extremely difficult especially when pg and if you fail (which most people do) you will be worse off emotionally.

I had posted once before a pretty easy methos for a gradual decrease of the cigarettes you smoke. For the next week, pay attention to how many cigarettes you smoke daily, don't try to cut back yet, just count.

Say your average is 10 a day. For the next week, half your packs and allow only those ten a day. The following week, take one a away, allowing yourself 9 each day and so on. It has been a great help and has been endorsed by many OB's, including my own.

Alot of people may suggest candy or something like that to keep you busy, but that will lead to even more problems like tooth decay on top of the other concerns. Try carrot sticks, they kind of resemble a cigarette and are great to occupy your hands. Another tip is to drink a lot of water to help flush it out and help with the craving.

If you do the cut down method, you shouldn't need too much assistance with the withdrawal symptoms as your body will get used to having fewer and fewer cigarettes, and therefor less nicotine.

If you smoke in your car or house, make that the first thing you stop. Go outside or wait to smoke until after you reach your destination. When I started to quit, that was the first thing I did, was quit smoking in my car (before I had my son) and I have never smoked in my house since the day I got my first place. After cutting out the smoking while I drove, I found I cut the amount i smoked in half!

Next I started to think about other habit times. Talking on the phone is a big one. I would grab a cup of joe, my smokes, and the phone and go outside and chat with my friends on the phone. In an hour long phone call, I would smoke 3+ cigarettes! Also, after I ate(pretty tough habit to break),after dh and I had sex (almost the easiest one to quit because I didn't want to move afterwards when we were TTC).

Just think of all the times you usually smoke and start eliminating them as you can.

If you ever need support, please don't hesitate to email me!

Andrea

AndiJ.***@****
I posted this very same question not too long ago!! I am now 17 wks pregnant and am an on again off again smoker for many years. The guilt when I would smoke was terrible and I was even hiding it from my husband. The truth of what got me to stop was I got
croup from my 3 year old!! I also have asthma so smoking wasn't an option during that time. I have now not smoked for 3 weeks and I am better and am wanting to really bad but I know it is just mental at this point and it is easier to resist that craving than to stop again. So do what works for you and know that people who have never smoked will be judgmental and in my mind can't possibly understand where you are coming from.
Good Luck and hang in there!!!
here is the best advice i gave myself when i became pregnant with my first child... you can ony quit if you really want to. if you try to quit because you know you should, than you won't be able to quit. so do you want to quit? if you want to quit you will be able to do it. but you shouldn't quit cold turkey, it's like withdrawal from the nicatein in the cig. best of luck to you. kellyc
I smoke and smoked with my first pregnancy as well. I did cut way back, to like 5 ciggs a day with him. And am trying very hard to do the same with this one. Some days I only smoke those 5 that I've set aside and other days I'm up to 8 or 10. My husband although he doesn't live in the same state is very supportive, he always asks......"how are you doing on ciggs today"......and then he will always say how proud of me he is. That helps but being home alone most of the time makes it hard to 'not grab one'.....I start work Monday and hope like heck that will make it easier.
They say your "body" only craves the cigg for 48 hours. After that it is all mental. Believe me, I know how hard the mental part can be.
I don't have any real 'advice' for you, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't in this alone and I'm sure there are even more out there that just aren't willing to admit that they smoke because they don't want the others to look down on them.
Good Luck and if there is anything that works for you please, please let me know.
Hugs,
Vikki