Maternal & Child Community
sore nipples

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

sore nipples

okay, i have been exclusivley bfing my ds for 9 months now. in the beginning i was very careful to take care of my nipples, applying lansinoh cream after every feeding. after a few weeks i didn't need to anymore, my nipples adjusted and i have not had a problem until now, 9 months later. one is cracked and very sore. i can't even really nurse him on that side. i started with the lansinoh again, but i'm wondering if he is sucking to hard, or if something else is causing this. i thought your nipples were supposed to toughen up and there would be no problems, especially this far into it. do you think maybe he is ready to stop nursing? has anyone else had this happen before? and what would happen if i stopped nursing just on one side? can one breast dry up and not the other? sorry for so many questions, just confused as to what to do. thanks. also, he does have teeth, and he has slightly nibbled me before, nothing too bad though.
I know some women nurse on one side and not the other, but don't know for sure if the milk in the other dries up -- presumably it must.  Have you thought of any kind of thrush giving you problems?  In other words, you might be getting a yeast infection on the nipple from the baby's mouth?  I would check with a lactation consultant to see if this is a possibility and what else she might recommend, before I'd give up on one side.  Good luck!
thrush actually did cross my mind. i will definitly look into it. thank you.
I have had really good luck swabbing my nipples with a white vinegar and water solution at times when they would really sting during a spate of a few days.  I never wanted to use Nystatin for fear the baby shouldn't get it in his mouth, but the vinegar and water (a spoonful in a cup) cleared up the -- thrush or whatever.  And boy did it sting before I thought of that.  Good luck!