Maternal & Child Community
sore throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

sore throat

good morning ladies. i am almost 24 weeks pregnant and yesterday began feeling a little bit of a sore throat. it still hurts this morning, although i am not so concerned, because i don't have a fever or anh other symptoms and i usually don't get very sick. i am sure it is not a big deal, but having never been pregnant before, i was just wondering what they normally do for a sick pregnant woman. antibitoics?

also, does anyone have that website of medicines that are and aren't ok to take while pregnant? i was wondering what kind of coughdrops are ok.

and lastly, silly question, what week does third trimester begin? am i almost there?

have a grat day ladies! <3
I had a sore throat a couple weeks ago, actually I think I was like 26 weeks (Im now almost 34) and happened to have a OB appt the next day.  Ended up I had a slight throat infection.  He gave me amoxicillin, told me to take tylenol for pain and use the green chloreseptic spray (not the red) and it got rid of it.  Check out safefetus.com
Third trimester is around 27 weeks.
Do you know if your having a boy or a girl? Or is it a surprise?
Do you have any names picked out yet?
Hi .. The site with the info on medicines safe/not safe during pregnency is   safefetus.com
Salt in warm water has helped me with my sore throat. Every night last thing before bed, is my gargling routine.If I miss it for a few days the sore throat comes back.I did not actually take antibiotic, but heard that Amoxyciline does not pause any problems during pregnency.(Ok, I did take Amoxiciline a month back for sinusitis)

Your third trimester starts from the 27th week. I am going to be 24 weeks this friday too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sooo excited......
thanks for your response. i actually have an appt. today, so i am going to ask the dr. we found out we were having a baby boy around 20 weeks at the level II ultrasound and i am sooo excited. i just finished up doing most of my registry for the baby shower and it all feels very real now. we have a couple names in mind but won't be deciding until he is here. there's always the possibility that he will be named after my husband too, but i am leaving that decision up to him. :o)

thanks for asking, hope you have a good day <3
Everything becomes so much more real when you find out the sex.  As soon as we found out the sex I went out and did my registry...my baby shower is now this coming Sunday.  And I swear this kid already has more clothes than me! Hope your Drs appt goes good and you dont have an infection,...just a sore throat!  I know I felt horrible with mine.
There are a few things you can try for a sore throat but I would check with your dr before taking anything.

You can take Tylenol, you can use HALLS or VICKS sore throat drops, you can try some hot tea with lemon or honey. I would ask your dr about the HALLS/VICKS though, my dr, nurse AND pharmacist said that HALLS & VICKS are fine during pregnancy but some dr's don't agree.

There is a really good website:

http://www.safefetus.com/Search.asp

Hope you feel better soon!!
Like I mentioned above, my dr said it is fine to use them. You could try some warm salt water, gargle with it. I couldn't because it made me gag. I was sick at the beginning of this pregnancy, for 3 weeks before I finally got some antibiotics that helped. I am sick again now. I am hoping that I don't need antibiotics this time.
i have Halls coughdrops and tried to find it on the safefetus.com but i couldn't. i tried looking up the active ingredients and nothing. its all i have right now while i am at work and my throat is killing me.