Maternal & Child Community
spotting at 7 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

spotting at 7 weeks

I am bit worried at the minute and need a bit of reassurance. I am now 7 weeks pregnant. I started spotting yesterday morning (13 Oct) it was a very light shade of pink so I went to the early pregnancy unit for a check up as I work in the hospital. The Doctor did an internal ultrasound/scan and showed me the fetus and I saw the babys heart beat (it was amazing to look at). She said that everything looks fine and the baby is not in any danger as the sac is intact and the fetus is the right size for the weeks (7). She also said that she saw a pool of blood on the other sideof my womb which will bleed out by itself and wont harm the fetus at all. Today is day 2 and I am still spotting it is stressing me out. I am not bleeding alot at all only when I wipe myself I see it. I am not having any cramps of pain at all but I am still worried. if it continues like this I am planning to go back to the hospital in the morning. If anyone out there is going through what I am going through or has gone through, please, please drop me a line and let me know what happened. We have been trying for this baby over 4 years now
The good news is that the baby has a great heartbeat, you are not in pain, and the embryo is of appropriate size.
The chances of miscarriage drop dramatically once a heart rate is seen.

Sometimes there is a finding of blood in the uterus.  Most of the time, the pregnancy will progress normally.  Occasionally it might become something more worriesome.  This could continue for some time--days to a week.
If it becomes more than light spotting, you should contact your doctor, or if cramping or pain develops.  

There is no way right now to predict exactly what will happen.   There have been many ladies here who have had this, and had healthy normal pregnancies.  I know you will worry, though.  Its only natural to be concerned.

When do they want to see you again to follow this up?
Thank you very much for replying to me, it really mean alot. My first appointment is in 4-5 weeks time (by this time I will be 12 weeks). My doctor told me that if the spotting get heavier or the colour changes or I am having cramps then I should come back to see him.

Thank you for finding the time to talk to me, I am looking forward to hear from you again.
Yuba