Maternal & Child Community
stripping membranes?!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

stripping membranes?!?

I am 35 wks pregnant, everything is going well. I am due to see my OB next week for my last 2 week check up before going weekly. She said she would strip my membranes. Does this hurt? I have heard it does. This is my first baby.
I am not dilated but cervix is soft, if that makes sense to anyone when considering the question.
Thanks a lot.

This has been a long 35 weeks and I am so excited but in so much discomfort, I hope the baby comes a little bit early!
Is there a reason why your doctors are stripping your membranes this early instead of just letting things happen on their own. I am just curiouse if I should expect the same in the future?
My baby girl is big, as am I. OB doesn't want me going full term...I am with her!!! This is definitely not protocol especially for first time mother's.

Even with stripping of membranes there is no proof this will definitely make me go much earlier. Havent even lost mucus plug or dilated yet. Just hope it gets things changing!

Dream: did he tell you why he stripped you? Sounds like you are almost ready to go! HOW EXCITING!! :) You have one up on me, actually 2 up....2 other babies already. That means you have been through this!
well it was decided early on in my pregnancy that i would be induced, partly because of my cervix. my last baby was a premie as well and honestly I didnt expect to go this far, but certianly glad I did. My doctor didnt exactly tell me he was stripping me until i called him saturday with problems.. I pretty much had to figure out on my own what had happened.. either way as long as my baby is ready and healthy, Im ready to bring the pregnancy to an end, I cant wait to hold my baby girl... long awaited blessing here.
When they strip your membranes each week at the end of pregnancy it is just supposed to make it so you go into labor by your due date instead of going way over.

I have had it done by my doctor starting at 36 weeks each time. I still went to 40 weeks and was induced with all of them except for 1 and that time I went into labor at 39 weeks.

Every time I have gotten it done, I think I am going into labor that night. I have contractions every few minutes for several hours. It always stops then when i go to sleep. Then starts up the next day again.

I personally don't think it has helped me go into labor ever. It just makes me really hurt for the rest of the pregnancy. This last baby I didn't even have her check me till I was 38 weeks. I didn't want to go through it again.

I have 9+ lb babies so that is why she wants me to go by my due date.
Hello, Im kind of in the same boat, I went to the doctor friday for my 36 week check-up, my final dr's office visit might I add. :0) when he checked me he discovered that I had already dialated to 2 and started effacing. I was set to get my induction date this week anyway. during the exam you have to watch for him stripping your membranes as many doctors do this without actually telling you what they are doing just as mine did to me Friday.. to answer your question is it uncomfortable.. it definately was for me, but it's more uncomfortable if you havent begun to dialate, also by him doing this it's a good possibility it could progress things pretty rapidly so brace yourself.. after my exam Friday I have done nothing but contract, the lower part of my back has hurt quite a bit and walking has become a task for me without pain now. also I have just finished passing my mucus plug this morning after a frusterating 2 days. so Im on my toes now.. he did tell me after the exam that I could expect to spot.. only I skipped that part and started loosing my plug so I know he difinately started things up for me..it's all a waiting game now. Good Luck to you !!
with my son my membranes were stripped twice and my body had no reaction except the fact that it was the most uncomfortable feeling I have ever had when they were actually doing it. They thought that I was going to have an eight pound baby and I was all baby. They did it first 5 days(Friday) before my due date and nothing. the following Monday they scheduled me to have what is called a gelling which last 6 hours in the hospital. I had light contraction until the gel wore off. Tuesday (my EDD) they tried stripping again and still nothing. They finally induced on Wednesday. My baby was 9lbs, 3oz,  21 inches long with a 15 inch round head!!!
I wqas strripped with my first after I was in labour, and it hurtlike heck.  However, with my second I was stripped at my dr.s office and i barely felt it.  I think the ammount of pain depends on the skill and practice of the dr doiong it.  good luck to you both!!! Congratulations!!
hey everuone ya with my last one which is my 3rd one the doctor stripped my membranes also but only 1 week before my due date. it does hurt at least for me it did alot of pressure and some bleeding with it nothing big. but even though he stripped my membranes i still didnt go into labour on my own had to end up going in 6 days after my due date to be induced. hope this helps u