Maternal & Child Community
sudden big decrease of milk supply

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

sudden big decrease of milk supply

Hi everybody!
For the last 2 days I suddenly lowered so much my milk supply - my baby is 9 months, on solids, I work and i pump once middle morning, once mid afternoon, the rest I nurse him early in the morning, lunch and before sleep. I used to pump about 2 to 3 onces each time now that he is on solids - used to be more before - and since yesterday i am pumping not even 1 once each time.
Anyone went trhoough that?? Any advises?? Is this normal???
Thanks!
Your baby on solids is the key factor, it's amazing how our bodies know if we are not being latched onto as much:) LOL I realize you are pumping still but when they take more & more meals from the table it seems to slowly fade out in most cases, my friend w/ 10 kids. Always said if you feel you don't have enough milk you can drink a beer (not get drunk) just a beer & it would make more but a few weeks ago I read in an article where the people said it's not true, but hey the mom w/ 10 kids probably knows more than the writer w/ no kids LOL :) I never tried the beer thing I just drank something warm while I pumped. I'm sure you are fine w/ my DS#1 I BF him for 8mo. At the end of the 8mo I was getting less &less milk. Weird thing is once I had him totally weaned my milk never dried all the way up :( just enough left to be a pain. LOL   So if you are like me you may just try the warm showers & something warm to drink. Good Luck!!
Drink more water
Have you started any new medications? Some antibiotics can decrease milk supply. So can stress and dehydration.
I would follow the advice to drink more water and look at anything new you have added or changed in your life. Also look at the pump, many are not good at increasing milk supply or barely even maintaining them.

Try to remember that at this age, solids are meant for practice, that most of their nutrients still need to come from breastmilk or formula. Try easing up on the solids a little and beef up the nursing again.

Andi
Have you tried eating oatmeal?  Taking the feneugreek? (or however it is spelled!)

A lot of pumping moms have a significant decrease at around four to six months.  Oh, if you follow the beer trick it is dark beer that is key.  There is something in dark beer that has been known to help milk production. But it is only the dark beer.

I don't have any first hand experience, but have researched breastfeeding and talked to a lot of breastfeeding moms for over five years now.  I'm certainly no expert, but am just sharing what I've read or heard from breastfeeding moms.

I do know a lot of women also have pump resistance where their bodies just won't work for the pump anymore.  It's probably a combination of your baby getting older, you becoming resistant to the pump, and the solids.  I'd try adding more pumps in.  And breastfeeding more. Try to trick your body into making more milk.  If it continues there is medicine you can get from your doctor, but it is probably a last resort type thing. I wish you the best of luck.
I went and got some Ginger today for morning sickness, and the lady said it is also good for making milk supply come in. I don't know if it will increase it or not, but it's worth looking up I guess.
My DS#1 didn't latch til he was 3 days old so in btw that the DR gave him formula which he puked up :( They finally brought ne in a pump & I pumped him some out at the hosp. As we were getting ready to leave the hosp. he finally latched on for about 4 seconds. (THe lact.con was very rude & rough w/ him so needless to say we just went home & he slowly latched a little longer each time :) SO don't give up!!! It can be hard eapecially w/ no support but once we left the hospital things got better. I also was told Babies don't usually get too hungry til about the 3rd day or so after being born, so by the time he was about 7 days old or so he was a pro. SOme babies just latch on imm after birth & others are slower, have you tried letting her lie in the bed w/ you during a night feeding, not holding her in your arms, just letting her lie beside of you & putting a boob up to her mouth (this makes a mommys arms so sore but it worked for my son)He seemed more at ease w/ both of us lying down at night time. Then once he finished I'd put him back in his bed. Does she seem to prefer one boob over the other, he did so at first I'd always try to let him have his way :) & get that one. It was a rocky start but he continued til he was 8mo bfing & didn't get  his first cold til he was 13mo. So hang in there she'll get the hang of it!!! Before long she'll have so many wrinkles & sweet rolls all from your BM :) Also try to let your milk (like someone mentioned) already start to flow a little bc I bet her bottle flows faster & a Boob is usually a littel slower so she thinks theres no milk :) Soon she'll realize :) LOVE & PRAYERS Sometimes I would drink something warm just a few min before letting him BF so the milk flowed faster.
Call the hospital where you delivered, and ask for the lactation consultant.  They will see you, and work with you both to figure out the problem.  Or call your local La Leche League to see if they can offer any help.
Also, when you take her to the ped next time have them check her to see if she's tongue tied.  This is a common irregularity present in newborns that can make it very difficult for them to latch.
one thing the WIC office told me was to try fenugreek. I also had a home nurse who was visiting my DS told me to try that and alfelfa (sp?). THey're herbs.
I had a similar problem once my milk came in. My breasts were so full that my nipples were hard to find. I had to hand-express enough to soften the front of my breast. I found that the pump just didn't do it well enough. I also would hold the front of my breast, just behind the areola for the 1st half of the feeding so she could get the breast soft enough. I held it with my hand in a "C" shape, and pulled it forward a little. In the birthing classes they said never do that, but it was what worked for us. Within a few weeks, my milk supply stabilized, and my breasts softened a little. My daughter nursed well past 18 mos.
I noticed that the pump just didn't cut it anymore at that time. I think I was producing just fine, but only the baby or if I expressed by hand could I get it out. Try to squeeze yourself to reassure yourself. I'm sure it may be a little less since your little one is eating solids now, but I bet it is still there - it is just that the pump isn't as effective anymore. I had a really good pump too - but it really was only good for me during engorgement.
Sorry for posting another question on here.  I hope noone is offended but it does refer to breastfeeding.  See I cannot get my one week old daughter to latch on for the life of me.  After trying I usually just cry...  I want whats best for her and I know I have adequate milk supply for her but she just will not take it.  I do not believe I have flat or inverted nipples (meaning when they get hard they protrude) but they do not seem to stay hard for long.  Which seems to make it hard for her to find them.  She roots around my breast searching but no success on latching on.  She will every now and then for about 2 sucks and then lets go before she can even let my milk come out.  When I pump I am pumping about an ounce to an ounce and a half per breast.  So I know this is enough for her.  They also leak all the time so I know it is not hard for her to get it out.  I have tried a nipple shield and she will not take to that as well.  She will however drink breastmilk from a regular bottle.  I have even tried pumping a little bit to swell the nipple before feeding...  No prevail.  I just do not understand this and I am beginning to be discouraged.  Has anyone had these problems?  How were they resolved and were you able to continue to breastfeed?  How diligent did you have to be, and did you suplement with formula?  Please...  Any encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated.
I had the same problem 100% it's hard to deal with this.. I went to a specialist still nothing so I have been pumping for five and a half month so far. It takes a lot of time and energy and you can't leave a house for more then 3 hours. But you are still doing wonders for the baby!!! Don't worry you are not alone here!!!