Maternal & Child Community
switching to formula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

switching to formula

I'm going to switch my son to formula pretty soon so that he will be well established by the time he starts daycare.  What do you like better the powder or the premixed liquid formula?  What are the pros/cons?  
well when i did formula and breastfed my son i did powder.  he was on a formula though that didnt come premixed.  plus the cost was more.  i guess the cost is an issue plus heating the formula.  if you use powder you can mix it to warm water.  what i did was the night before work i made a batch of enough formula and filled the bottles (have to warm anyway)so they were ready for daycare.  i still breastfed early am, after work and on weekends and my body adjusted.  are you going to go to formula only?  i guess that time is coming up pretty fast isnt it :(
Hi!  Have to say, the biggest differences are cost and convenience.  You do pay more for convenience.  The pre-mix comes in a can, which means you don't need to worry about refrigeration, keeping it fresh, or how long it's been since it was made.  With my own children, I used the powder with added Omega's.  Mixing can be time consuming, but after doing it for a bit, you get used to it and it doesn't seem like much.  Thing is, once you mix it and toss it into the fridge, it MUST be used within 2-3 days(check the label) and the formula MUST be treated properly, especially with younger babies.  If it were me, I would go with the powder, because of cost and since refrigeration and proper care of the mixed formula would not be an issue at daycare.  In other circumstances, such as road trips and such, the premixed cans are heaven-sent!
Do what you think will be best for you, whatever will decrease your stress levels lol :)  Hope I gave you some good points to consider!
Good luck with the transition!
Kristyn.
I tried the premixed when first switching to formula, and while it was nice that you didn't have to mix it, DS likes milk warm, so I had to go to the bother of warming it up.  Mixing the formula isn't that bad, and you can mix the day's bottles ahead of time.  You can mix it right into warm water, so you don't need to wait for it to be heated up.  Cheaper too.  What we do at restaurants and that is just ask for a glass of hot water and ice water so mixing it at the table is a breeze.  
Thanks everyone.  All great points to consider.  I guess i can try both and see which works best for me.  

perty - I would really like to keep breast feeding him at home the only thing is.  He still won't latch onto the right breast.  I pump but it is still really lopsided but maybe if I'm not breastfeeding full time off the left side the lopsidedness won't be as bad.  We'll see.  
I breastfed at first and had to stop. I tried both kinds of formula and I think by far the powder in the can is so much easier. You can measure out the amount you need ahead of time and put it in bottles,then all you have to do is add water to the bottles. Very convenient especially when going away. Good luck to you! :)
Be careful about the water you use to make formula for your baby.  The water is supposed to be sterilized first.  I do not recommend using restaurant water.  I've worked in a restaurant kitchen before...and I must say, please don't use their water and their ice for your baby's formula.  One time I watched the little dishwasher boy get tossed into the ice machine wearing his clothes, shoes, everything. While that's a pretty extreme story, I would still not trust it.  Adults can handle drinking a few bugs, because our immune systems are strong enough to deal with it.  If your baby gets a bug...it won't be pretty.  Make sure you are comfortable with the water you are feeding your baby.
Kristyn.
I have never used sterilized water and have never heard of this. In fact my pediatrician told us to use tap water and not bottled water. I do use bottled water sometimes if I am out somewhere.
I agree w/ Kristyn...be careful of the water you use.  I switched to formula with my older two and my ped (many, many years ago now) told me to use sterilized water as well.  May have to do with where I live -- no city water, just private wells.

Two other points to keep in mind about the water...if you do sterilize, do not heat and reheat the water.  Some of it boils off and can leave the water too hard (too concentrated with minerals)...and, I just saw a report about NEVER using hot water from the tap for cooking b/c even if the water is okay, the heat can make any lead in the pipes (can be at soldering points, not just lead pipes) leech into the water.  So I wouldn't use HOT tap water.

When I used formula, I used the ready made...it was more expensive, but I found it more convenient in that I didn't have to boil the water.  And, I just got a moderately priced bottle warmer that heated the bottle in 3-5 minutes (depending on how warm baby likes it).

Again, this probably boils down to personal preference...so do as you said and try both and see what works best for you.  One last thing...they only take formula until one, so it's only a few months to try to figure out how to come up with the few extra bucks of the ready made and if you have to buy bottled water, may not even turn out to be more...at least that's my opinion.
That depends on the age of the baby.  I believe if the baby is less than 3 months, you have to be careful.  After that, it is ok to begin exposing them to such bugs since it is the only way their immune system can build immunity.

Perhaps its just me and the things I've seen go on in a restaurant kitchen...but it still comes down to the fact that each mother will do what she is comfortable doing based on the information she has at the time.
i preferred the powder mix to the ready-made in a can and so did edward. his spit up would be worse with the pre-mixed liquid and he typically wouldn't drink as much. i tried it a couple times, but gave up ultimately and used the powder for the rest of the time. i always used jugs of water or bottled water if we were out. never useds tap water and never boiled water to steralize it first. never had a problem. i would have steralized it if i was suppose to, but no one told me to....
We get notices in our mail ALL THE TIME about NOT using city water for drinking.  I guess with the shortage they are using extra chlorine in our water.  Also, city water is "recycled water", I would NOT use this water in your baby's formula.  Definitly get sterilized bottled water, especially if you live in the city and are not on a well.
ps - doesn't it say on the formula can to used bottled water? i don't have any left, but i could have sworn it did...
*use
I have to say being on my 4th baby, that I agree the only difference is cost and convience. I myself for this baby am going to start with the little nursers for conv. since Blake is only 2 and I am going to have my hands full. Then I'll switch to powder. The only thing is to read the directions carefuly and use spring water. (thats my chioce) that way you don't have to sterilize it. As for formula I am a big fan of Good Start! Its the most like Breast Milk the only reasons Doctors do not push it is they get no kick backs from Carnation and there is something to do with it not being offered in Third World countries. This came from my Ped, so I have had the last 2 babies on it and they did great!!! Good Luck!!!!
It does say to sterilize the water.  However, as baby gets older, I do think you can back away from that to a limited degree.  I'm just a concerned mother, as we all are...so I'm under the belief that city tap water, that is recycled and pumped full of chlorine and who knows what else, is not something I prefer to give my baby if I can avoid it.

Its funny how we just love our babies so much that we find it hard to let go and be a little more lenient on things such as this.  Perhaps I think too much, perhaps not.  But when I want the best, I'm not willing to take shortcuts like putting warm tap water straight into a bottle...but thats just me, I suppose.

Of all the comments made here, I must agree with the lady who talked about not using hot water from a tap.  This should NEVER be done, not even for an adult.  The hot water sucks out all kinds of toxins from the hot water tank and from the pipes.  If you've ever looked inside an old hot water tank that was just replaced with a new one, or if you've ever drained a hot water tank and turned it off to go on vacation...the silt and rust on the bottom is nasty.  The build-up of scale and minerals on the inside of a hot water tank is what makes the tank fail.  Very yucky.  Don't use hot water from a tap.
my ped said all formulas are pretty much the same. but we prefer Good Start as well. For some reason dd was fussy on similac and enfamil, but does great on Good Start. other than that, we really prefer the good start because it doesn't foam up as much as the other formulas, which results in gassiness. we use powdered and find it to be very convenient. we don't have to warm bottles anymore. dd drinks different amount at feeds, so we just take bottles of water with us and shake up however much we need at that time. with premixed you had to refridgerate it after being opened. it's always the right temp- room temp. we do use bottled water, but for savings we buy the big 2.5 gallon jugs with a spout you can keep on the counter for a couple bucks. easy to pour and ready to go.

only downside to Good Start is I have yet to find a generic (and therefore cheaper) version. but DH insists we stick with it because of the lack of foam and fussiness. he also thinks it smells better (well, less gross) than other formulas.
Isn't there a concern about no flouride in bottled water? Brody just got his first formula bottle yesterday at 8.5 months because my supply is slowly dwindling. I used tap water! I didn't even think of it. He won't be getting much formula-at most 2 bottles throughout the day but most likely just one and then will be nursed the rest of the time. I guess I didn't think the tap water was going to be a big deal being that he isn't a little little baby. Wrong? I should ask his pediatrician.
that is one thing i didn't think of...the flouride. b/c i always used bottled water. hmmm, well, when edward was in for his 1 year checkup, i asked about vitamens since he was not on formula anymore and the dr. said he would prescribe me some. he then asked if i gave him tap water and if i did then he didn't need a vitamen with flouride b/c my town flouridates the tap water. i said i didn't use tap water for anything and he then prescribed a vitamen with flouride. so maybe that does make a difference? i don't know. maybe with the next one i should  boil tap water and use that with the formula....interesting.
yea- i'd ask his ped. tap water in jersey isn't flourinated anyways, so all babies are prescribed flouride drops at 6 months. i think at their age (8 months) tap water would be ok, but for some reason i stick to bottled with her. partly cause it's convenient at room temp. also, i had heard the same things a poster said about using hot water from the tap.
i may be wrong, but i think people on well water are supposed to use bottled for babies.
What are we supposed to do?! We get so much mixed information and at times I think parents are becoming TOO careful. At the same time, I don't want to expose my baby to something that could make him sick. UGH!! I would think tap would be fine...but then again, I could be wrong! I used warm tap water to give him a bottle. Hopefully it did no harm. Didn't even think of it!
oh don't stress! i'm sure you didn't do any harm. chances are if you continue to give tap water you wouldn't be doing any harm. it's just a hang-up i have, although i am sur eit won't last long. and i do give her tap occasionally when i'm out of bottled.

ever read the label on bottled water? some of them even come from municipal water sources!!!

it's hard to decide when to break old habits like worrying about the water you use in the bottle. i'm still using her own sponge to wash her things, despite the fact that she's on solids. pointless? probably.
When both my DS we born i used bottled water, after they hit a certain age.....a couple of month old I think, my dr's advised me to use tap water.  For the flouride and for their immune systems I think.  But after that point I always did use tap water and both my boys are fine.  And we are talking about strictly formula fed babies who had this water all the time.  This was in Las Vegas and Phoenix, so not sure if the water in those places are different, but I followed my Dr.'s orders and everything turned out fine!
I did not read all of this, but I had to stop breast feeding and give my son formula. I started out for the first two days on powered and he spit up CONSTANTLY.........it was from all the air that the powered formula puts into the water when it is added/during mixing (we stirred it with a spoon and tried not to shake it to mix it). Our ped told us to try per-made and Ashtyn was a completely different baby. No more gas...but although he has always been a spitter, he was a much happier baby. Yes, it is a pain to carry it with you in a small cooler to keep it cold and find a place to warm it up, I did it for 5 months because the difference in Ashtyn was AMAZING!!!! When he turned7 months old, we went back to powdered formula and he does okay with it now, but I think it is because he is older and is an all around better eater. I totally recommend this to any mother that has a baby that has gas!
My pediatrician told me to use tap water. I think it depends on where you live. How confusing!
Rhett is on the Similac Advance with iron and I use the powder.  I think it is really convenient.  In the bottled water isle at Walmart, they have the gallon size that actually says "nursery" on the jug. It's easy to take with you and it's always the right temp.  I used the powder with my last child too.  You know I'm breastfeeding too so he is getting both but doing very well and growing like a weed.  
Evan started on Similac Sensitive then had to switch to Enfmail Lacto Free. We use the liquid b/c he HATES the powder. When I did use the powder I just packed nursery water.
wow, great advice everyone.  thanks!!

you know i thought bottled water did have chlorine unless it was the spring water. not sure tho.
Wow...this is an absolutely great thread here!  I think it was jen that mentioned that after a baby is a few months old, you do not have to worry SO much about using tap water, so long as it is treated city water and you let the cold water run for a few minutes and never use hot tap water. Treated city water does have chlorine, but it is safe and it has flouride. When they are a few months old, they NEED to be exposed to things so that they can build immunity and tolerance.

Beware of well water though.  I've lived in the country in areas where the water was SO nasty.  My toilet tank was anything BUT the color it should be from well water sitting in it.  My plumbing appliances never lasted more than a few years.  I was told to not use it because the iron levels were FAR too high.  Since formula has iron in it already, well...that would make for digestive problems and one very fussy baby!

Anyways...don't stress ladies.  If baby is more than a few months old, just make sure that the water you are using has what it needs in it, like flouride, and that you're not using hot water from the tap or well water with massive amounts of minerals and metals in it.  Other than that, I think that given our locations, we're all pretty safe when it comes to our water!
Does bottled water have flouride in it?
Yes, bottled water companies are required to put flouride in their water.  I have read it on the label.  It will say something like .05ppm or something like that.  There may be a couple brands out there that do not though, although I am pretty sure it is now law to have flouride in bottled water.  If you're using the giant jugs that you put on the of water dispensers, be sure to ask your water supplier.  They will be legally required to tell you.  I do know that a simple bottle of water from the corner store does have flouride in it because I've read it on the bottle.  
Actually, I just did a little research, and I'm really shocked myself to know how much importance is placed on putting flouride in bottled drinks.  I found a huge list, with all the specs.  I'm amazed to find that even Safeway's Club Soda has 0.64ppm of flouride in it.  So, needless to say...LOL!!
Okay that's good to know. I breastfeed mostly, but do use some formula too, which I mix with bottled water.
oops i said chlorine but i meant floride.  
I used powdered formula---I also used the bottled water from Wal-mart --I beleive it is called nursery water--pretty cheap to buy a gallon of water--I just left the water out onthe counter so my little guys bottles were always room temperature.  On trips I would prefill my water int he bottles and had one of those little containers where you put your pre measured formula into them and as you need to do bottles just pour and shake...worked great for me--also my little guys did not mind have cold bottles they would drink them straight from the fridge.  But premixed I think is a great way to go and most cost effective.  Also Similac makes the travel size formula packets if you want to go with those for conveince.