Maternal & Child Community
taking valtrex during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

taking valtrex during pregnancy

My doctor prescribed Valtrex to take for the remainder of my pregnancy. Im 35 weeks.  I was wondering if any of you had to take it or know someone who had to take it and if there was any side effects to the baby..
Avatar n tn
It's common to take HSV suppressive meds in the last months of pregnancy.  Here's a good link:

http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/acyclovir.pdf#search='valtrex%20during%20pregnancy'
Avatar n tn
Thanks that was helpful
Avatar n tn
As always, Christie nailed this one : ) Do they not schedule C-sections for mothers with herpes anymore?

Andrea
Avatar n tn
If you have active herpes or infection within the past 2 weeks, yes.  Otherwise, you labor.  That's why suppressive treatment is important in the last trimester.
Avatar n tn
I just thought they had been spreading the word lately that even though you may think you are outbreak free that you can still spread it and that you may be having an outbreak internally, but not know.

I imagine that you would obviously know better than me : ) Given the latest stats, I am sure you must see a lot of this.

Andrea

Avatar n tn
They do a pelvic exam on the woman (who has a history of herpes) who comes in, looking inside with a speculum to be sure.  Nothing is 100%, but the absence of visible lesions is a green light for labor, unless the women feels that she is having prodromal symptoms.  

I've only seen one case of neonatal herpes in my life, and that was in a woman who had NO history...probably had a primary outbreak that was just developing (at least that's what the docs theorized at the time).
Avatar n tn
Wow, I really do learn something new every day. I had one friend who had herpes and delivered vaginally, but I assumed it was just the crackpot hospital and doctor she used (you know what I mean, some hospitals and doctors have really bad reputations)

Thanks for the information. Fascinating stuff!

Andrea
Avatar n tn
My 2nd child I had vaginally and didn't take any meds.  And she is a perfect healthy 6 yr old.  I don't have any outbreaks but the doctor just wanted to play it safe.  I just wanted to know the effects but I spoke with her today and she confirmed it was safe.  I will start taking later this week when I am 36 weeks.
okay I am 28 weeks today and I have been prescribed to take Valtrex the remainder of my pregnancy... should it be fine and another question I have anal herpes and I do have outbreaks only there nowhere else is this going to be a problem delivering vaginally???
help please thank you!