Maternal & Child Community
taking xanax while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

taking xanax while pregnant

I am 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I am trying to get off xanax still. My ob/gyn said the he hasn't dealt with anyone pregnant and trying to get off xanax before. I feel all alone. does anyone know or know of anyone that is pregnant or has been pregnant and trying to get off xanax?
This is exactly how I have been taking them. Mar. 4th I called my doctor and told him I was pregnant. I normally would be taken (4) 1mg xanax a day. The blue xanax
Mar. 4th                             3 a day            
Mar. 5th                             3 a day
Mar. 6th                             3 a day
Mar. 7th                             2 1/2 a day
Mar. 8th                             2 a day
Mar. 9th                             1 1/2 a day
Mar. 10th                           1 1/2 a day
Mar. 11th                           1 a day
Mar. 12th                           1 a day
Mar. 13th                           1 1/2 a day
Mar. 14th                           1 a day
Mar. 15th                           1/2 a day
Mar. 16th                           1/2 a day
Mar. 17th                           1 a day
Mar. 18th                           1 a day
Mar. 19th                           1/2 a day
Mar. 20th                           1/2 of a 1 mg. (1/2 a blue xanax)
PLEASE LET ME KNOW      :-  /
I weaned myself off of xanax when I had found out I was pregnant.  I believe I was around 5 weeks pregnant at the time.  I was on a much lower dose than you though.  I was on .5 mg up to 2 times a day.  So a total of 1 mg per day.  I think you are weaning a little fast, but if you are feeling okay, I don't know.  If I were you I would try and break it down even more, either try and go down to 1/4 of a pill, or maybe get a prescription of a lower dose and do it that way.  So go down to .25 mg, and go from there.  You do not want to just quit xanax, as you already know.  Also, maybe talk to another doctor about this.  I'm surprised your ob/gyn hasn't dealt with any patients who have been on this drug.  What about talking to your primary care doctor?  Is that who the prescribing doctor is?  You should be under a doctors care while doing this, for sure!  Both my ob/gyn and my psychiatrist helped me with my taper plan.  Good luck!
The other thing I was just thinking about, is I assume you are taking these for anxiety.  I was too, and I completely understand what having anxiety problems can do to you.  I deal with it just about every day.  You will need to find other ways to manage your anxiety while pregnant and/or breastfeeding.  I am currently breastfeeding my 7 month old dd, so can't take meds.  I do go to my psych once a week right now, and try to find other ways to manage the anxiety.
Xanax is a category D drug and can increase your risk for birth defects. I agree with the above poster.
My psychiatrist told me to wean down off the xanax. I did have a pcp but before I could see him they quit taking my medicaid. So I dont have a pcp. How long did it take you before you were not taking any xanax? I dont want anything to be wrong with my baby. It scares me to think of me having a baby with deformities or other mental or physical health problems. I want as I am sure everyone else does, a beautiful healthy baby.  And a girl at that. hehe         please let me know
I have had severe panic attacks for 8 years now and been on xanax for 9 years that is why it is so hard
I have anxiety disorder, and am 14 weeks pregnant.  I currently take Zoloft with the blessing of my OB/GYN.  I have been taking it for somewhere around 2 years now.  My Dr says its the safest drug to take during pregnancy, its just not safe for the last trimester as i guess there is a chnce the baby will be born addicted and have to go through withdrawls.  I plan on stopping it in the 3rd trimester.  However, my OB did tell me that in cases like this its always based on if the benefit of taking it outweighs the risk of not taking it, but thats with zoloft though, now sure about xanax......is zoloft an option for you?
This tapering schedule is WAY to FAST and is VERY DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY at the high dosage you are on.  You need to see a psychiatrist to develop an appropriate tapering regime.  I can not stress how important it is that you seek the appropriate help with this.

Again, I repeat, tapering off 4 mg Xanax over ~2 weeks is VERY DANGEROUS.  It would NOT be surprising if you were to go into seizure and/or lose your baby due to the serious withdrawals you would suffer from this.

NEVER develop your own tapering regime to wean yourself off a drug upon which you are dependent on.  You MUST seek help from a professional in this matter - a qualified psychiatrist  OR even better a perinatal psychiatrist.  A regular doctor or OBGYN are NOT the medical professionals to see regarding this issue.
I see you posted while I was writing this.  Did your psychiatrist actually give you this tapering regime???????????

Like wanabeana said, Xanax is a class D drug and has been linked to birth defects so you don't want to take this during pregnancy unless the benefits truly outweigh the risks.  That being said, tapering off too fast can lead to disastrous consequences.
on Mar. 4th I called my psychiatrist and told him I was pregnant and he asked how many xanax I had. I told him (20) 1mg xanax. He then told me to take...

(3) for 3 days
(2) for 2 days
(1) for 2 days
then (1/2) till they are gone.                  I am sooooooooooo confused   :-   /
I did it my way. His way seemed fast      he is old and only works 4 days a week from 9am - 1 pm
I agree with spade on this.  It didn't take me too long (2 or 3 weeks) to wean, but as I said, I was on a MUCH lower dose than you.  Also, I never experienced any withdrawals, never felt bad at all while weaning.  If you have any feelings of withdrawal, than you know you are weaning much too fast.  You really need to be under a doctors care for this, it isn't something you should be doing on your own.
OMG, I can't believe your psych told you that.  He should not have based his taper plan on what you had left in your prescription.  He should have come up with a healthy taper plan, then prescribed whatever you would need to complete the taper.  You need to see a new doctor, who has more experience with this.
Your psychiatrists regime is based on the amount of Xanax you have left!!!!  That is NOT the way to devise a tapering regime.  I recommend you seek a 2nd opinion on this.  In the meantime, I will try and dig up some literature for you.
houseofgirls and I posted essentially the same thing at the same time!  great minds thing alike, huh ;)
:)
did the xanax while you were taking while pregnant then got off of effect your baby? should I just go to the hospital and see what they say? with my new medicaid, hardly any doctors are taking it right now. My dad told me if I go to the hospital that all they will say is that I am having anxiety and send me home. I think he is wrong. They will check me and see how the baby is doing I would think. Maybe even a sonogram. That is why I am having such a hard time with this. and my ob/gyn's nurse said that they called me in xanax and zoloft. They said that zoloft takes about 2 weeks to get into the system, that while I am taking the zoloft to take (1/2) a 1mg xanax for 2 weeks. I just think that that will effect the baby. This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard for me.
ANYTHING WILL HELP RIGHT ABOUT NOW
I just sent you a private message with some more info.  :)
Does medicaid have a hotline you can call or website you can visit that will help you locate someone in your area?  Even if you have to drive 50 miles to visit someone, it will be worth it.  If not, consider paying for the consult without insurance.

If you go to the ER they can check on your baby BUT an ER doctor is NOT specialized in psychiatric issues so they would not be the best person to give you a tapering regime because they are not specialized in this area (they have very little training with this and will not be as up-to-date on current literature as a psy. will).

It is very important to see someone you trust and can monitor you during this process and also know there are other antianxiety medications you can take while pregnant that are much, much safer than Xanax.  The thing about tapering is that everyone will react differently which is why you should be under medical care for this process.  Some people have stopped coldturkey without issue however, others have had serious complications which is why this is never recommended - no one knows what will happen to you which is why you need to play it safe.  Same thing w/ the tapering regime.  What you describe "may" be ok for you BUT, a regime that fast is not typically used due to withdrawal effects - no one can predict how YOU will respond..... You may need to taper over 6 months, you may need to supplement with another medication, a 4 week taper may work.  There are lots of options but the best thing is to get that 2nd opinion and go from there.
when you say medical care... I take a couple different ways. Do you mean admit myself to the hospital or find a new doctor? If I taper for 4 weeks or 6 months I should just go have an abortion, b/c my baby will have defects and alot of problems.
I mean find a new doctor so you can get a 2nd opinion.  The can also talk to you about what the chances are of actually having a baby w/ birth defects and what those defects might be - just because  a drug is a Class D drug,that does NOT mean that your baby will have any problems or that those problems will be serious or non-correctable.  You need the advise of someone with extensive knowledge in this field so you can make the most well informed decision possible.

http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/benzodiazepines.pdf

http://forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9807/0671.html
I can't add a thing to what the others have said.

Benzo withdrawal is difficult under the best of circumstances.  Spade has given you excellent advice.
thank you I will look into those
If I am pregnant it is literally like 4 o5 days since  ovulation.  I have taken  6 2mg xanax.  Do you think there could be harm to my baby if I am pregnant.   Im not even sure if I am
I am right there with you. I have severe panic attacks with my son I just took blood pressure medicine and I was fine but over the past 2 years they have gotten alot worse and I've had to be on 1 mg of xanox 4-5 times a day. I just recently found out I was pregnant about a month ago soo now I'm at 8 weeks. My ob dr told me he wanted me off of them and I called my phys and he told me to slowly taper off but if I was still having them to just keep taking the dose and get with him soon. I ended up going down to 1 1mg xanox a day and it worked for a few days but then I had a servere panic attack it was bad and had to take more and it did it the next night also. Soo I met with him today and he said that I needed to keep taking them that I tried to taper off way too fast and caused them too get outta control again. he told me to try 3 for about 2 weeks then 2 and a half and keep working myself down to the lowest dose that I can take and eventually wing myself to where I can skip days and get my anxiety under control if possible. He said that there is a risk of birth defects with them but having bad panic attacks can be just as bad. Then he put me back on my lexipro and wants me to continue takinng that and he said hopefully that it'll help some with my anxiety and he wants to see me back in 3 weeks. I had asked him about any safer drugs out there but he said that mine are soo servere it wouldn't even efect me. I am soo scared that there is going to be or already something wrong with this baby!! I'm soo terrified and having constant panic attacks. Soo I feel you there.
I AM PREGNANT WITH BABY #2 AND I HAVE A HEALTHY 3 YR OLD BABY GIRL AND I TOOK XANAX THE WHOLE PREGNANCY WITH HER I DIDNT TAKE THEM EVERY DAY LIKE PERSCRIBED I TOOK WHEN NEEDED AND TRUST ME I HAVE SEVERE PANIC DISORDER AND I WENT A DAY OR TWO WITHOUT TAKING THEM AND I WAS OK I JUST TRIED NOT TO DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD TRIGGER A PANIC ATTACK AND I WAS FINE AND WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN 2 DAYS BEFORE I WAS GOING TO BE INDUCED I DIDNT TAKE ANYTHING AND I WAS FLIPPING OUT BUT YA KNOW WHAT EVERYTHING ENDED UP BEING 100% FINE I IDIDNT HAVE A PANIC ATTACK WHILE I WAS HAVING A C-SECTION WITCH I SWORE I WAS GOING TO AND MY BABY WAS AND STILL IS HEALTHY NOW I KNOW MOST OF U GUYS PROBABLY HAVE UR BABYS NOW CAUSE ALOT OF THE POST ARE OLD BUT TO ANYONE WHO IS TAKING XANAX AND IS PREGNANT AND HAS PANIC ATTACKS EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE! I AM SCARED STILL BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THIS AGAIN I AM 10 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS AND I GET NERVOUS ALL THE TIME THATS JUST THE WAY I AM BUT DEEP DOWN INSIDE I KNOW EVERYTHING WILL BE OK! GOD BLESS EVERYONE AND THERE BABIES! :)
STEPHANIE
I too was on 4 mgs a day ..for 10 years and quit within a week... Now i am told to just take it on an as needed basis...and i average 1-2 mgs a week! I had no withdraw symptoms besides depression and mood swings but that didnt last too long .....

I think people exaggerate how dangerous it is to stop taking.
I am 13 weeks pregnant and I used to be on Paxil. Prior to Paxil, I took Xanax when needed (1mg).  I purposedly went off Paxil before we started trying because I found out Paxil can cause birth defects.  Now that I am off of it, my anxiety is back.  Mostly at night, when I get panic attacks.  I took .5 mg of a xanax twice.  Once in december and once in january.  Would this really harm my child if i took .5 mg or 1mg  periodically?  Please I would love feedback.  Thank you.
I almost died from a terrible seizure and coma after 10yrs of taking 2mg xanax 2x ady..after tapering down to 1mg 2x a day for two mnths then 1/2mg for  1week that week I went into a coma from seizures I didnt even realize I was having, almost like spasms in my brain that cause bleeding ruptures in my brain....it also affects unborn babies hearts anywhere from a heart murmur to more severe heart problems and even if they are ok at birth it can happen as they grow older and get into sports
I just found out I am pregnant and have been on xanix for 3 years. Do u know of anyone that had a baby with side effects
Hello dear,
                We are in the exact same situation as well as sharing how far along we are, give or take a few days. I am 7wks and 2 days. I also am on that exact dose and attempting to titrate. I also find it odd your OB/GYN has not dealt with this before. Tonight I decided to see what I could find on the internet about taking Xanax while pregnant. I found a site that said that there were no proof of developmental delays or really any proven problems from taking xanax while pregnant. It sounded to me as if this author was a physican (OB/GYN), it did not say. You are not alone and I would be happy to communicate with you. You also have to think about whether the anxiety and the associated symptoms would be harmful far the baby. For instance by blood pressure goes sky high during anxiety, panic attacks or my PTSD rears its head. I'm also on med for my blood pressure. They would like me down to the dose of BID QD ( 2 per day). We just found out last Fri and have yet to meet with our OB/GYN. Fri I had to go to the ER because I was cramping badly and had been for two wks. All the tests and ultrasound showed a normal viable pregnancy. I have not had any bleeding or clots or any sign of blood, so I have learned alot of woman cramp badly and as long as there is no blood we are good, This was not planned, we were told two years ago it was a 1% chance I could concieve (conceive). I had picked out a Ph.d program, needless to say it has been a SHOCK! I am 44 my husband is 49. We married when I was 39 and he was 45. So, back to the xanax, I do not know if I can go down to 2 a day without putting stress on the baby. You may not be able to either, your most likely much younger. You might want to consider looking at other OBs and this is your right. You do need someone who has experience with this, or at least I would think and I would want this. It is up to you my dear. Mayby we can support oneanother.I know quite a bit about this topic b/c I am in the mental health field. I send positive thoughts and prayers your way. We believe our pregnancy is a miracle from God.If your a praying person please send our way:) Please take care:)
                                                Also 7 wks
So I had a bad stomach virus, & it led to gastritis (inflamation (inflammation) of stomach lining) went to ER cause the pain & dehydration, plus knew from previous gastritis attachs would need an IV of protonix to help stop inflamation (inflammation). Found out I am 1wk pregnant. This will be my 2nd baby. We were not trying so complete shock. I feel blessed I found out so early cause I take 2-3mg of xanax a day. So I feel the baby has a good chance of not being harmed, but scared of winging off and withdrawls & losing the baby if taper to fast. I see my psych. dr in 2 days as well as my ob. I had already spoke to my psych's partner & she said I could start tapering just take one away each day. I asked I am willing to go thru withdrawls for my baby but do not want to lose the baby from withdrawls, then she gave me some other tapering options, so clearly she has not dealt with a pt being pregnant & winging carefully off. I have been taking xanax for at least 8 yrs. Came off before I got pregnant with my first child, then we were trying, & actually never felt better. Had maybe 5 attacks the whole 9 months, just prayed during the attacks and made it thru just fine! If anyone has advice or can share their opinion, or even their situation it would be very appreciated! Thx for "listening"! Good luck to anyone dealing w/ tapering off benzo's, never easy!
your. post helped me feel better. I take them. cause I feel depressed. an cant be myself. without them. just scares me cause. I wanna have my babygirl as healthy as possible ..
I'm five weeks pregnant and can't see my obgyn til Dec 9th. I'm on xanax,a very high dose so I cut it in half right away but I'm still nervous and if I don't ween myself off slowly my body and baby will go into shock. I know the feeling of xanax withdrawal,which is horrible. Anyone in the same situation til I see my obgyn.