Maternal & Child Community
the risk of having a helathyn babay at 44 years of age

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

i am a 44 year old mother having 3 boys  gaing 24, 14 and 7 and now i am pregnent but my friends keep telling me the risk of having a normal babay i had done a scan and on it everything was normal but again as the doc explained the limitaions of the scan  we gareed to have the cvs scan in 15 weeks but again he expaling the posibility of 1% resik of loosing the pregnancy.
so i am worried with all of this and now  i am 16 weeks to wither i should do this test for the sake of everyone ....
please advice via my email.
tks  

Hi!
All your well meaning friends could be partially right. Actually the risk of all genetic disorders, congenital anomalies etc along with small for date baby, maternal high blood pressure or diabetes etc all increase as the age of mother increases. While it is true that the risk is highest for a woman who becomes a mother for the first time at age 44 than a multipara woman like you, you cannot rule out the risk of the same in your case. Also, at your age the chances of hormonal imbalance are pretty high. So, please let your Obs and Gyn monitor this pregnancy well and do all the required fetal scans to rule out any anomalies. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.