Maternal & Child Community
three-yeard old refuses to eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

three-yeard old refuses to eat

Three-year old, healthy, energetic, bright boy refuses to eat.  Will drink chocolate milk, sometimes yogurt, rarely one link sausage and a couple of bites of eggs, but will go days with hardly a bite of food.  Seems to truly gag on a small bite of French toast.  Seems drawn to butter.  HELP.  (he is not spoiled).
I would take him to a prediatrician and maybe you can get a tonic that will make him hungry! I know it's a worry but he'll eat when he's hungry.
It also could be that he is filling up so much on liquid that he is not feeling hungry for solids. If you find he is drinking a lot, especially milk as it is very filling, I would try to cut back on some of the liquids he is taking in and see if that helps to increase his hunger at all.  I also know that my DD who will be 3 in April gets so busy sometimes that she doesn't like to be pulled away to eat.  Also it is very typical of a toddler's appetite to vary from day to day and may just be normal toddler behavior.  I think you will find by cutting back on the liquid his appetite will increase.
During some growth spurts, young children will often not eat as much. And that is fine. Your son will know when he is hungry adn will eat when he is hungry. Don't make an issue out of it. If you are eating, offer him something to eat. Offer food when he wakes up , morning and after naps. But don't let food become a power struggle between you two.

Also, do be careful about the liquids. DO NOT limit his consumption of liquids, just limit the type. LIMIT chocolate milk for sure. Too much calcium can make a young child constipated. Offer him a little juice and a lot of water. He may balk at first, but once you get him started he will realize that water is a real thirst quencher adn come to like it.

If he is not losing weight, I wouldn't worry too too much. Children eat what they want when they want it. And this is also the age to start testing his independance, and one of the few things he can control is what he eats. One of the best things I heard was "You know you are the parent of a three year old when you pray daily that ketchup counts as a vegetable!"
my four year old went threw the same thing his dr told me to try given him food then a drink and if this did not work to try cutting back on the drinks
HI OH YES I CAN RELATE, I HAVE TWINS AND ITS BEEN INTERESTING THEY ARE NOW 31/2. I DO AGREE GIVE HIM LIQUID AFTER HE HAS EATEN, AND NOTHING SWEET.  WE DECIDED TO WAITE TO GIVE BOYS "SNACKS" WHAT I MEAN IS SWEETS. ABOUT A MONTH AGO OR SO STARTED GIVING THEM CHOC MILK, WHEN THEY DRINK JUICE 1/2 JUICE 1/2WATER, ON THEIR FOOD I DONT PUT FLAVORINGS, WE WANTED THEM TO ENJOY THE TASTE OF FOODS FIRST.  IF A CHILD GETS LETS SAY SUGAR ON CEREAL HE WILL NEVER LIKE IT PLAIN AGAIN.  BUT I HAVE GOT IT REALLY HAS WORKED.  MY KIDS LOVE THEIR VEGGIES AND THEY WELL EAT THEM RAW TOO. NOW MEAT IS ANOTHER STORY, ONE REALLY LIKES IT OTHER NOT SO MUCH. BUT WEVE NOW BEEN GIVING THEM SNACKS SINCE THEY GO TO PRESCHOOL ALL OTHER KIDS GET SNACKS SO WE LET THEM BUT WE HAVE THEM UNDERSTAND TREATS LIKE THAT ONLY COME AFTER THEY EAT THEIR HEALTHY FOOD. I SAW ON DR PHILL HE SAID IF THEY DONT EAT JUST WRAP UP THEIR FOOD THEY WILL BE HUNGRY, JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT GIVE INTO THEM AND GIVE THEM JUNK BECAUSE YOU FEEL ITS BETTER THAT THEY EAT SOMETHING.  ANYWAY WE GO THROUGH THESE SPELLS WHERE THEY WONT EAT TOO AND I WORRY BUT THE NEXT MEAL ORDAY THEY ARE READY TO EAT AGAIN.  SOMETIMES KIDS JUST GO THROUGH THESE THINGS. BEST WISHES BE STRONG.