Maternal & Child Community
to Christie and open forum if need

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

to Christie and open forum if need

Good morning ladies! Christie, I posted this question a while back but you were in the middle of your husbands accident I beleive and you may not had seen it. Being a RN I would like some advice. I have morning sickness that comes and goes. I would not say it is horrible by no means compared to some of ladies on here. The vomiting is gone but the nausea is not. I have read alot about the safety of taking 1/2 Unisom and vitB. Have you heard of this? I have also heard of Dramamine. Let me state...I have not taken these. Just wondering. What I do not understand is the are classified in B catergory drugs when alot of the anti nausea drugs docs prescribe at in the C catergory drugs. Why would they prescribe a more dangerous drug when there is a safer alternative. And I may be totally off base here:) I am no doctor. Just someone who reads too much on the net! I am not talking about taking this on a regualar basis but for some reason I needed to go somewhere and my stomach was not in agreement and I took it to get me through. I would really love your input! And are there any others out there that have heard of this????? Bless all! Danielle
Unisom is one best taken at home as it is a sleeping pill. They actually will give B6 injections for severe morning sickness. I has severe m/s with both my boys and for Tristan we tried a variety of meds including Reglan, Compazine and eventually I found relief in Zofran. Only downfall is Zofran is rarely covered by insurance and even with my great rx plan, a 15 day supply would have cost me $200 out of pocket. I was lucky my OB had samples and I would take it every couple of days so I could eat and keep it down.

Some women swear by Preggie Pops, others by motion sickness bands. I would avoid Dramamine as I have never heard of a doctor approving it for m/s.

One of the best things is small frequent meals, I drank a lot of boost while pg as it was loaded with nutrients and the least offending thing I could find to consume.

Andrea

I echo Andrea's suggestions.

But the Unisom/B6 combo is one frequently suggested by OBs for morning sickness.  Call your doctor and ask if it is ok for you to use.

There was a drug called Bendectin used years ago for pregnancy related nausea, which had the same ingredient as Unisom + B6.  It was widely prescribed and a godsend to many pregnant women.  However, it was taken off the market due to a question of causing a birth defect.  Now, years later, those claims have been largely refuted.  In fact, in Canada, there is a drug called Dilectin that is the same thing.  There is a movement afoot to market it in the US.
I took bendectin in 1982 and my daughter has ADD, dyslexia, depression and sleep disorders.  I did not take it for my other two daughters who are fine.  I know another woman who took it that same year and her daughter is the same as mine.  I would not take anything like it if I were you.