Maternal & Child Community
to douche or not to douche?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

to douche or not to douche?

Sorry about the topic title! I've read that if you are trying to conceive you SHOULD NOT douche. Then I've read that for gender selection you should douche with vinegar for a girl and baking soda for a boy. I really want a girl so if I douche am I hurting my over all chances of getting pregnant?
I am the one who posted that. I have done it and got my girl, I also told my midwife about it and she did not say anything except that the acid from the vinager will help for the girl and the baking soda will help with a boy.   If you do not want to chance it talk it over with your dr.    My midwife is one that believes in things to help you get what you want, she has had so many women do some wierd things.
I read that in your post and looked around on google. I saw much of the same thing you wrote. But like I said I've seen that douching removes the cm that is most ideal for sperm to stick to. This is my week to BD so I'm getting nervous on what to do and not to do! Thanks for your post!
My OB-GYN and primary told me NOT to douche anytime because it poses more side effects than benefits.  I think your environment inside needs to maintain a certain balance that douching may destroy or alter.  It's always safer to your doctor first.
I've heard of douching for different genders, but you must remember that changing the ph of your vaginal fluids make you very susceptible to infections.  Our ph in the vagina is acidic to keep bacteria from growing and causing infection, and if you douch, granted you might get your girl, but you might also get a nasty bacterial infection that could kill the pregnancy.  I would stick to timing methods instead of ph changes.  Are you familiar with Shettles?
I agree with both. I think douching on a regular basis would be bad for the natural cleansing your body provides, but I don't think doing it once or twice a month until +hpt+ will effect that. If I wasn't already pg I would definatley try for my boy. I have two girls already and find out Friday at 9pm what I'm having! I'm so nervouse, I went and bought baby boy clothes and got my hopes way up!
thanks for all the feed back! I hope you get your boy bluebird!!
I have heard that douching is no good period.
It only takes one time to change the ph of your vagina.  It wouldn't be permanent and would eventually go back to its normal ph, but for that period, you are very susceptible to infection.  Actually, the more you douche, the more likely to are to permanently damage the ph which would cause it to never go back to normal.  Women who have this have reoccuring yeast infections.  Granted, you would only be doing this a few times to get that girl, but it's just something else to think about.
I would have done just about anything for my girl, but douching was out of the question. Risk versus benefit wasn't good enough for me. I am not willing to risk the potential side effects for the slim chance it works. It is up to each person, but give it a lot of thought.

Andi
I don't understand how douching is supposed to help.  From everything I have ever heard, it is the man's genes that determine the sex of the child.  How is douching supposed to help anything??

See below....

Which parent determines the sex of a child?

Question
Which parent determines the sex of a child? I think it is the father but my friend thinks it is the mother.

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question.

Chromosomes are fundamental to all life and all the instructions (genes) the human body needs to function are organized into these structures. Genes are the blueprints, which make us human and keep us alive. This complete set of instructions, organized as genes and carried on the chromosomes is called the "human genome."

Different kinds of organisms have different numbers of chromosomes. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, 46 in all: 44 autosomes and two sex chromosomes. The sex chromosomes are the X chromosome and the Y chromosome. These chromosomes determine gender.

The female has 2 X chromosomes and the male has 1 X and 1 Y chromosome. Each parent contributes one chromosome from each pair, so children get half of their chromosomes from their mothers and half from their fathers. The sperm cell (from the male) determines the sex of an individual. If a sperm cell containing an X chromosome fertilizes an egg, the resulting zygote will be XX or female. If the sperm cell contains a Y chromosome, then the resulting zygote will be XY or male.

Thank you for your question.

Dr. DNA
http://www.mydna.com/genes/genetics/askdrdna/ask/ask_223.html
If douching is not recommended at all, what is a good way to stay clean and fresh, especially after sex?
decogirl - the theory is that the X sperm produced by a man is favorable to a more alkaline environment and a Y sperm is more favorable towards an acidic environment.  Douching creates a neutral environment in the vagina which would possibly deter the Y sperm and be in favor of the X sperm, hoping to produce a girl.  It is just a theory but some people swear by it.

claudia2679 - proper hygiene and taking a shower are good ways of staying fresh especially after sex.  Also, I have found a little baby powder in the panties can help you smell better and absorb excess discharge afterward.  Doctor's never recommend douching and it really does nothing to "clean" yourself after sex.  The douch bottle tip does not go in far enough to cleanse the sperm near the cervix, so you never remove the cause of the smell.  Just take a shower with a fresh smelling soap and you should be fine.
They aren't talking about plane old douching. It's a little recipe missie69 mentioned the other day, I still support it,

Missie60 no wonder you were hesitant about brining it up.

Claudia2679 Our bodies were made to naturaly wash themselves out with a complicated balance of magic. The above posts have more details, all I know is it's perfect without help. And sperm dries instantly so we will not be stuck with it. Even though it seems yucky, it's natural and best to just shower daily and wash externaly.  
Yes, our body is miraculously efficient in cleansing our body.  And really nothing else does it better.  If you feel 'unclean' or smells bad down there after intercourse, maybe there are other issues including yeast infection, or other chronic infections.  The best thing is to check with your doctor.  Usually, a pap smear would instantly give the doctor clue.  If your pap smear is normally, there really shouldn't be much to worry about.  By nature, we're 'almost' odorless if we are clean and a unpleasant smell if we're dirty.  Because we're human, we will never naturally smell like a flower.