Maternal & Child Community
toddler with belly button hernia...any idea?????????????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 2 yrs old son has a belly button that bigger than normal since he was born. Hid dr. said it's not a problem, just keep an eye on it. Today< I noticed that it's even bigger( sticking out about one cm) and it's soft if I touch it or push it. I think it's hernia. Any idea what could it be, and what is the best solution? Thank you.
Ask for a consult with a pediatric surgeon.  He/she will tell you if anything needs to be done at all.
Hello, my mother-in-law mentioned once that her daughter had this problem when she was a baby and apparently what worked then was taping a quarter over the belly button for a period of time.  Her daughter screamed and cried in pain until this was done and it obviously did the trick...back then.  I think that the best thing to do is to call her doctor and make an app't. asap. and then mention it to the doctor.  I suppose it can't hurt!  Good Luck!!!
I was born with an umbilical hernia and my mum used to tie a coin to it until it eventually disappeared.........I obviously don't remember any of it but my mum says I screamed with it..........does your son seem in any pain with it??
To be on the safe side I would take him to see a doctor, I'm sure there are more developed treatments for it nowadays if thats what he has!!

Good Luck!

Hayley xx
Can this happen for the first time with a 16 month old?  My son's belly button healed flawlessly after the umbilical cord fell off when he was a few days old.  We've never had any issues with his belly button until now.  Yesterday morning my husband and I were alarmed when we picked our son up from out of his crib and saw blood all over his sheets!  We searched his body and couldn't find a cut or scratch on him. There was no dried blood anywhere on his body so it has remained a mystery - until now.  I just noticed that his belly button looks swollen/is sticking out more than usual.  When I looked closer I noticed it was bright red inside, like dried blood (I used a cue tip and it came out clean so that means it's not currently bleeding).  I've heard of belly button hernias but that they usually happen early on.  Are there any other belly button issues a toddler could have?
I was born with a hernia, my mom and aunt has been born with them. We didnt do anything but eventually as we aged it just went in on its own. So just let it be for now, but if you see any more blood it might be a problem. Ive never had a problem with it, and mine stuck out a lot too. Just give it time, it may take years until it goes in.