Maternal & Child Community
tongue-tie?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

tongue-tie?

4990468?1255974750
i've included a pic... does this look like tongue-tie or is this normal? i don't recall what my first's tongue looked like at 8 weeks.
i am having a LC come evaluate tomorrow and will follow up with the ped at her appointment friday. just wanted to ask and see if i'm crazy
No, I don't think you are crazy.  It looks like she might be.  Can you get a good look under her tongue?  That would be the way to tell.  The frenulum is a piece of tissue that looks like a string from the floor of the mouth to the underside of the tongue.  If shouldn't be really tight or abnormally close to the tip of the tongue.  My son has a little V at the end of his tongue and a tight frenulum, but it doesn't seem to be impacting his nursing from what I can tell, but he gags on the paci.  His ped said to wait and see if it is a problem with his eating or speech.  
I don't remember any of my kids having their tongue out like that at 8 weeks.  I'm glad you're getting it checked...It's always best to have it looked at and find it to be nothing than the other way around.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
my son had tongue tie. they found it at 2 days oll and snipped it before we were released from hospital. a simple and pain free procedure. my sons was right at the front though, he could not lift his tongue at all and now has a little dint in the front. hope all turns out well.
addison is the same way.  i asked about snipping it but nobody would do it.  they said they like to see how it goes and if speech is an issue they will address it then.  it has "stretched" since birth and she has more control over her tongue but it is still a concern for me.  i think if it had been done earlier it would have been easier, but nursing was a bit difficult in the beginning and i dont know how she would have nursed with a sore mouth.  talk to your ped, see what they recommend doing at this age.  

and btw, she is so cute!!!!
ok am I the only one that has no clue what a tongue tie is??
losingmymind- her tongue is never out. however, i did notice as she cooed and played that i would frequently see the heart shape at the tip. To get that picture, i actually video taped her playing, and looked through the clip frame by frame until i saw it. I took a picture of the frame and uploaded it.

perty- yea, i read that a lot of peds won't snip it, although i read that that became the practice back when breastfeeding lost popularity. i think it would explain a lot of the difficulties i've been having with nursing recently. we'll see what the LC says tomorrow.

blueeyedtabbycat- tongue tie is when the frenulum (thing under the tongue) is either too short or too tight and restricts tongue movement. it can affect feeding and speech, or it can have no noticable impact on the child. i wouldn't have thought much about it or even noticed it if i didn't have a student with tongue-tie in my class last year. his pediatrician told his parents to wait and see and not clip it. it was a severe case and that surprised me. The poor boy has significant speech problems because of it and they'll probably have to take care of it now at the age of 5.