Maternal & Child Community
tongue tied???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

tongue tied???

my SIL told us that our dd is tongue tied.  i've never heard of this before.  has anyone had any experience w/  this?  i've read a little about it and i will call the doctor tomorrow to ask about it.  i read that it can easily be fixed in the doctor's office by just clipping some tissue from underneath the tounge but then i read somewhere else that she could possible have to be put under general anesthesia to do it.  i'm just confused b/c i know nothing about it...  does anyone else have any information???  thank you!
Both of my kids had to have their tongues (frenulum) clipped. It's no biggie. The doctor just deadend the area with a numbing spray and then one snip and it was done!
good...  no anesthesia or anything?  how old were they when they had it done?
No, no anesthesia. My son was 3 months and my daughter was 6 weeks. Very simple procedure.
thank you!!!  my dd is 7 months but i guess it shouldn't be any different, right?  i just get nervous when things are thrown at me that i don't know anything about!
what made you SIL determine she's tongue-tied?
she said she noticed it when she was feeding her...  i've seen when she tries to stick out her tongue its kinda slightly heart shaped and when she tries to stick it out it points down instead of outward.  but i never thought anything of it b/c i've never heard of this before.  my SIL went to dental school but of course i don't know if that's something they would give a lesson on or not.  i usually don't like to believe anything she says honestly...  but i'm going to ask the doctor to look at it anyways.  do you think she could be wrong?
well, how old is the baby? the only reason i'm surprised is because i know my pediatrician and lactation consultant had checked for it early on. i assumed it was a normal part of her check-up in the beginning, but maybe they checked dd's because she had problems nursing. did the ped look in her mouth at any of the appointments? the check was very quick.
I'm a retired dental assistant, so I kinda know somethings about this.  Like Wannabenana said its really not a big deal.  Diffrent doctors have different procedures so you may want to find one that would best suite you and your baby's needs.  Some do it without anesthesia, some local aneshesia, and some with iv. sedation.  It also depends on the age of the child.  If they use local one of the risks is bitting the tongue, if its an older child just remind them to be careful.  Sometimes they have to do it under iv sedation if its a handicapped case or a very young child.  They tend to move to much or its just to stressful and the benifits out weigh the risks.  I've stood in on or assisted on all three situations in the past.  If it can be done with a local or by just using topical anesthesia I'd probably go that way.
Both of our children were tongue tied, our first daughter we didn't do anything at first, and when she was about a year old she had a short surgery done to clip it.  But on my second daughter we had it clipped right when she was born, and they just clipped it really fast.  
Some docs say that its nothing and it will grow out, some kids even end up falling and taking care of the problem when they fall.  It can effect speech depending how bad it actually is.
I fell when I was little and clipped it myself, my husband's wasn't clipped, but when he sticks his tongue out you can tell a little bit.
It is actually something you pass to your children........... were you or your husband tongue tied?  My husband and I both were and so we had kids that were too.
see that's what i don't understand... to our knowledge neither me or my husband were tongue tied and our other 2 dds were not either.  
she is 7 months old right now.  i guess i just have to wait and see what our doctor has to say about it tomorrow.  i don't know why it wouldn't have been found before b/c she was in the nicu for a month and then had surgery when she was 4 months...  so with all the doctors and specialists she has seen, st some point you would think it would have been caught!
My husband had 4 kids from a previous marriage and then the 2 that I mentioned above. Out of his 6 kids 4 had to have the frenulum clipped. So, I would definitely say that it is a hereditary thing. There is no need to have your daughter put under for such a SIMPLE procedure. It may take a couple of people to hold her down, but it is over so quickly.
being hereditary... can it run in the family before us?  its never been something to come in conversation but i've never heard it been said that either me or my husband were tongue tied.
you got me curious so i researched. this article is interesting.
http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/breast/AS-tonguetied.htm
If there are no feeding issues, they don't really look hard for it.  If there are no other issues, like speech or swallowing issues, nothing at all needs to be done.  
i just read it...  thank you for that link!  i did stick my tongue out at her and when she does it back it does have a slight heart shape and her tongue goes down, not out.  after reading that article i'm really curious to see what my doctor will do!
i was only able to breastfeed her for her first 2 days of life (until she went to the nicu), but in that time she nursed fine.  she's never had a problem bottle feeding.  and now that she's eating solids, she doesn't really have problems...  she just kinda puts her tongue in the way a lot.  which i'm sure to a pediatrician won't be a significant feeding issue, especially since she's defiantely not lacking on weight.

thanks guys for the information!!!  i'll let you know what they say when i call tomorrow...  even they aren't going to do anything for it, i'll still have her evaluated.
Its a very common cause of difficulty with breastfeeding.  

I will say that some docs will not do this unless your child is under lite sedation.  This is if the child is older then at birth.  They do not put a tube down their throat or anything, but they just give them a bit of gas and it takes about 5 min and its done.  
Ultimately it is your decision if you want her to be asleep, but you might have to find a doc that will do it without her being asleep.  Many docs don't want to deal with a child hitting and screaming in their face.
My 5 year old had to get 3 stitches by her eye when she was 2 and let me tell you that isn't something I wish any mother to see.  They wrapped her up in blankets so she couldn't move her arms or legs, and two men were holding her down................ she still got out of it!  It broke my heart seeing her so upset.  I mean when it has to do with something on their face, you can't do anything to hide it........... they get a front view of it.
The one thing you should look at is if it isn't attached at the end of her tongue, it's not as bad.  My daughters were attached to the tip and that is why we got it done.  
I wish all docs would just do it at birth and get it over with, that is what we did with our second daughter.  Our first daughters doc said lets wait and see.................. never again.
As Peek said many doctors don't do anything unless it causes issues. My son is tounge tied and she said it will cause him no problems so don't fix it. He can stick out his tounge and everything.
It totally depends how far up the skin goes.  If it is at the tip then you need to get it clipped.  If it isn't it will probably grow out.  
But what makes me mad is some doc's don't do anything when they should!
my doctor's office told me since she is not having any difficulties with feeding or any other significant problem, then they will wait until her 9 month check up in january to check it out and see if anything needs to be done.