Maternal & Child Community
tongue tied

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

tongue tied

At the hospital the nurse said she thought my son was tongue tied.  I mentioned it to the pediatrician.  He did not confirm or deny whether this was true but instead just brushed over it saying these days unless it effects their speech or their ability to nurse they don't do anything about it. But I'm concerned about other things... it may seem kind of strange for a mother to be thinking of her 3wk old son having relations with women one day.. but if he is tongue tied it would seem like it would effect his romantic relations later in life.  

Has anybody else had a son or daughter that was diagnosed as being tongue tied?  What became of it? Did you have anything done about it?  Did it correct itself?  Has it gotten in the way of anything?  

I have notice this week he seems to be able to stick his tongue out further than he could before.  I did read that sometimes it can stretch out on its own.  Hopefully that will be the case with him.  
I'm not sure about the effect on future relations, but my mom worked for an ENT for a long time and we've talked about this recently because of other posts on the forum (she is an avid reader, but she won't become another peek and give her 2 cents like I wish she would some times!!).  Anyway - she says they have done many many clips on tongue tied babies.  If it is done young they don't remember it and all they do is clip it and stick a bottle in their mouth and they are good to go.  But if your doctor doesn't think it is bad and is not effecting things then maybe he just assumes it will stretch itself and be fine.  If you are that concerned, maybe go to an ENT instead of the regular pediatrician and see if they think differently.  I know my mom said they had a grown man come in one time and wanted it done and at that age his insurance wouldn't cover it - they figured he'd adapted to it for that long, he would be fine.  I think she said he did it anyway and it was painful as all heck!  So if you are going to do it, do it young!  I guess it could be like a circumcision, do it young or it hurts too much later on.

Good luck!

Both of my kids were tongue tied. My son had difficulty latching on and after 6 weeks of trying to breast feed I just gave up. (didn't know at the time that it was his tongue causing all the problem), anyway it wasn't until he was 21 months and talking that I noticed he couldn't pronounce certain words. Long story short, we had his tongue clipped and what a difference it made. My daughter was 3 months old at the time and I decided to have hers looked into, and sure enough she needed hers clipped also.

The sooner you do it, the better. It took everything to hold my son down (2 nurses and me). It was traumatic for him, but not my daughter.

It's a real simple procedure. The doctor uses a numbing spray and then snip and it's done. They don't feel a thing.
My cousin was tongue-tied as a baby.  They clipped him outpatient and that was it.  Never had a problem.  Seems like an easy solve if they do it young.  Also, it sounds pretty common.  

Good luck,
L
My mom still is tongue tied, they didn't really consider it when she was a child. But i have loads of fun making fun of her because she can't stick her tongue out or whistle. I'm a great daughter...bet she is thankful every day she adopted me : -)
My brother was born tongue tied, and still is.  His first son was tongue tied, and they decided to have it clipped.  You'd think that the doc would want to do it now instead of waiting to see if it effects his speech... it could be even more painful if he gets older, and then you decide to have it done.  I think I'd go ahead and get it snipped.
addison is.  her pedi said its not the norm anymore to just go in and trim it.  she is able to nurse well, and it seems to have "stretched" a bit more than her first weeks.  i have read its easier to do as an infant, but really im going to wait it out.  i am slightly and the dds always wanted to trim but i said no.  it really depends on how attatched it is really.  
my son had his clipped at 2 weeks - i went out of the room they came out two min later and he was not crying at all