Maternal & Child Community
trying to conceive after depo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

trying to conceive after depo

I was on Depo for 7 yrs and stopped taking last Nov. I recently got my period for the first time since I stopped. Should I be hopeful in getting pregnant soon? Or does it take a while even after your period returns? I have read that it normally takes up to 18 months to have a cycle again, but since it has returned should I start trying, or not get my hopes up so soon?  Thanks to anyone who responds.
After you stop taking the depo shot it can take up to 2yr before you can get pregnant. when I came off the depo I got my period with in a month or 2 but I didnt get pregnant till 2 and hafe yrs after I came off the depo. so good luck I hope every thing works out for you.
I am scared myself, much like yourself I was on Depro for 6 years.  I went on it because I had to unwanted pregnancy's, one being to young, and one as a result as a date rape.  After the nightmare I went on Depro to ensure that never happened again.

Now I have been off of it for 5 years - NOTHING, I am freaking out.  Granted I left Depro and went on normal birth control.  I have now been trying actively to get pregnant for 3 years and nothing is happening.  I am here trying to find out if it could of been the Depro.  I just find it weird that I had 2 which happened with barely any effort and now I am doing fertility test, holding my butt up in the air after sex and we just can't get pregnant.  Has anyone heard about anyone else experiencing problems?
hi, i was on depo for 18months took 7 months for my period's to return, that was dec 08
fallen pregnant 3 times confirmed pregnancy's april, july and august of this year. all 3 pregnancy's resulted in non viable. hosp and gp will not confirm depo to be blamed as research hasn't been done. maybe i'm just unlucky now but wish you all the luck xx
I started the depo but only got the shot once, never going back after 3 months to get another shot. We started TTC our 3rd child and it took almost 2 years. I like to think of myself as very fertile. My 1st two children were concieved after a month or two. So I was very disappointed that it took so long.  Seeing how long it took us to have #3 we started trying right away after he was born and got pregnant right away, they are now 11 months apart.. It might take you awhile even if you have gotten your period but it doesnt stop you from ever having children. Good luck!!!
I got on Depo after having my 3rd son.. my husband and I were trying to wait to have another becasue mine were a C-sections and  they are 6-3-18.I had no periods at all since i got the shot.  I am now looking at my almost 7 week old daughter... So I hope that gave you a little bit of hope.. Keep us informed on how it is going...
my last depo shot was aug of 2008 i still have not had a period yet and i to am try to have a baby i just taking for ever last time i went of my depo i got my period the next month but of course i do have a bleed disorder too but no its under controll and i had been on the shot that time for  years but because of the bleeding thing i had a messcarge but i did take a test it came back neg.then i started what i thought was my period needless to say i went back on my depo shots but now im off of it and its been 1year 2 months doctors say it can take up to a year or more to get period but no period yet but lately been feeling like i got bubbles in my stomach but i took test and it neg again and im tired of waiting
l have been on depo for over 1yr 1/2 & have been off for 6 mo , i would like to have another baby but have not had a period at all 6 mo. what should i do? & can you o with out one?
I came off the depo injection september last year (2010) after being on it for almost 3 years. I had a small period a month after stopping which only lasted a couple of days. I didn't have another and i was worrying so i booked into see my G.P. He was lovely and explained what the depo injection does to you. He told me it can take upto 18 months for peroids to regulate as when your on the injection it sends your ovairs to sleep so he suggested i go back on the pill to wake them up and by god have they. I have a regular period same time every month and it feels great. I don't know if i would still have peroids if i stopped taking the pill but i've been back on it now for 4 months and i'm thinking of coming off it very soon so i will see what happens.
If you read this i hope it helps