tummy time
When do you start tummy time?  I've read that because babies are mostly placed on their backs these day due to SIDs it slows other development.  I know tummy time is supposed to help this, but my baby is barely awake these days.  He is 11 days old and was born about 3wks before his due date (36wk6d).  

At what age is it a good time to start tummy time?  

Thanks, Hannah
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that after breast feeding, I usually lay him on my chest belly down for a bit. I burp him and get some good skin to skin time.  He often lifts his head serveral times before settling down. So I guess he is already getting some tummy time in that way.
I hardly ever put Ryan on his belly he hated it and screamed and after a min or two i just couldn't do it!!  He did fianlly roll over and he is sitting up??  8 months old now
Right now, laying the baby on your chest or lap like you are doing is great.  I think actual tummy time on the floor should be started at like 3 months...whenever your baby can lift his head and has pretty good neck control.  Tummy time is so important for babies development.  At first it doesn't have to be for really long periods of time.  If he cries when you put him on his tummy, try getting down in front of him and talk to him, or put toys in front of him to get him interested.  With my oldest, she would cry a lot at tummy time, so I would just do it frequently through out the day for short periods of time.  My 6 month old has never had a problem being on her tummy, so she is able to be on her tummy for much longer periods of time.
the hospital told us to start the day we brought her home. the ped said that is what is normally done, but since she was a preemie, he told us to wait until she was 6 or 7 pounds to start tummy time.
I was told the same thing as tiredbuthappy that tummy time can be started immediatly but to make sure the baby was about 7 pounds when you started. My baby is 8 1/2 weeks and we do it every day and she already rolled over for the first time. :)