Maternal & Child Community
two amniotic fluid bags

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

two amniotic fluid bags

just wondering.. a friend of mine just had a baby ad she was huge...well when she gave birth they told her she had 2 bags of water...i have tried searching this online but no answer..does anyone know what this means??? oh and she just had 1 baby
Was one empty and one full?  If so, it could have been a vanished twin.  Often the residual, empty sac is delivered at the same time as the baby and its sac.  I don't think the second one is usually full of fluid, though.
I was told that I had two bags of water, one broke on it's own and the other had to be broken. The doctors gave me no explanation. I never had an early u/s so I have no idea if it was vanishing twin or what. I do know that twins run in my family (grandma miscarried twins) so it is a possibility.
With my last baby I had two waters. It really doesn't mean anything sometimes theres two. GRose is right though. One of mine broke on it's own and the other the doctor had to break and it splattered all over my husband. That was gross but it's funny I can still see his face when it happened.
hers broke on her own but it would explain why she was sooo big:S i didn't know it was possible thanks ladies
I think that's why I was so big with Noah, I am really big this time around too....
I had two bags of water.   The 2nd one only had a tiny bit of fluid.  Dr said possibly a vanishing twin.
The bag of water is technically composed of two layers, the inner layer (the amnion), and the chorion.  They become fused as the pregnancy progresses.

There can sometimes be a pocket of fluid between the layers, and its theorized that sometimes the outer layer can break and release some fluid while the inner layer remains intact.   This can explain why occasionally a woman can be diagnosed with ruptured membranes prematurely, yet still goes on to have a healthy and mostly normal pregnancy.

Sometimes, though, what happens in labor is that the bag of water breaks more towards the uppermost point, and amniotic fluid can be released, while you still have what we call a bulging bag of waters at the lower point, inside the cervix.  This lower part that can bulge out may still have to be broken, even though the woman technically has a "high" leak up near the top of the uterus.

My experience with my 6th pregnancy was different. At time of labor my first sacred ruptured on its own. I was not progressing until doctor said she had to put the monitor vaginally and then she noticed I had another sacred that she had to rupture.. once that was done it didn't take me long to have my baby.  
At the end of my first trimester I had bleeding and had to go to the ER, I had several ultrasounds before this happened and never was told I had a second bag or fetus.. Doctor at that time checked me and did an ultrasound and said baby was in perfect condition. So his explanation of the bleeding I was having was that a peace of the placenta had teared off and that was the reason why I was bleeding..

Now I think back and I strongly feel that what happened that day was that I miscarried one of the fetus.. i strongly feel that's what happened.. Has anyone ever experienced beeping in there first trimester?

I was also very scared with this pregnancy because previously I had 2 miscarrages. .