Maternal & Child Community
two questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

two questions

I have two questions for you all  need some opinions!!

1.  What is really the difference between a spinal and epidureal(sp)  How many times would they attempt each before they would stop and just put you out?? Also pain wise on insertion? My sister claims she had it done 7 times!!(first she said 4 a few days later it was 7--why do people exagerate!!) So I wanted to  put it to rest  I really didnt think they would do it that much what do you think??

2.  If a babies tear duct was blocked (most say they open up as they grow old have you heard this?) and since the nasal passage is right there are the two connected??  Im finding while drinking a bottle Cody wants to rub his eyes constantly  thats the only time he rubs his eyes is when he is drinking his bottle???

Thanks girls!!  xoxo  cinn
Hi how are you this morning? I don't know the correct answer for your first question but the one thing I do know is that a spinal is more commonly used for surgeries and the epidural is used more for pain control ex. labor.

My youngest son had plugged tear ducks when he was a baby, I had to put warm compresses on his eye expecially in the morning. The dr. said there was nothing they could do about it and that he would out grow it. He is also my child who has trouble with ear infections and allergies so I think that may have had something to do with it. They can put tubes in the ducts to get them to stay open but they only do that in really bad situations.

mamabear
I looked at that SparkPeople.com site--looks very sensible and not expensive ($1.99/week).  I am a member of CalorieKing.com
a similar type of site.  
My problem is just plain unwillingness to follow the plans, though.  I know what needs to be done, I just don't do it.  Obviously, I'm not ready yet.
Cinnamon, regarding epidural - I had problems with both my epidurals - the anaesthetist was finally able to insert it after 6, yes 6 tries with my last and 5 with my first.  It was the most painful experience of my life and was caused by the lack of space between the vertebrae in my spine.  Both said it was very rare for them to have so much trouble, but they both persevered and I was able to have some pain relief (after all the pain it caused me to get the pain relief!).  

Re: weight loss - I have lost 10lbs in one month by doing the following:
-no coke (I used to drink 1-2 cans regular coke each day)
-no french fries/mcdonalds/pizza
-no sweets (with a few exceptions ie. a bite of cake or a candy once in a while)
-reduced bread (only multigrain or brown)
-reduced pasta (once every two weeks instead of twice per week)
-more water, less juice
-tons of salad, fish, chicken, melba toast with salmon, fruit, veggies.

That's my diet and I'm planning on sticking to it for the REST of my life.  I am so tired of being overweight and not able to fit into my clothes and feeling heavy, that I am taking action.  I hope to lose 35lbs more over the next year or half year or however long it takes.

If anyone is interested in finding out more about my diet, email me.  I exercise a little, and am doing more and more each day, but so far it is mostly diet.  ***@****

Your sister sounds a lot like mine.  She asks a hundred questions, but she doesn't want to listen to any of our answers. And she is very fussy about what she wants for her child.... not brightly coloured plastic toys... it's ridiculous. I guess it wouldn't go with her decor if there were plastic toys lying around the house.  Maybe she should've been a pioneer-- wooden toys all around!
:)
I am going to get her whatever I see and think the child would like. Too bad for mommy.
A spinal is a one time shot that is put into your spinal column and wears off in a matter of hours. An epidural is a continual drip that goes into your spinal space from a cathader (sp?). An epidural can last as long as it needs to because they can keep on refilling the bag. As to pain of having it done- With my first baby the guy did have to try three or four times before it would insert (I had epidurals both times). It was extremely painful. The second time I had someone different and I talked to him about the pain of the first epidural and he said that that is NOT NORMAL. He said that it should feel like a bee sting and that it should only take one try. He said it can be harder to insert if you have less space in between your vertibrae. With him the insertion of the epidural didn't hurt a bit. By the way, even with the painful epidural it was still worth it. :)
The first time I had one i think it was the drip, it went in the first time it hurt!!
2 nd time  3 times then he said no more put her out--Thats why I was wondered about 7 time thing
3 rd time it was done twice..it hurt!
She was saying 7 times and it didnt hurt..Maybe Im a big baby but i thought it hurt the only thing I thought maybe she got a local ansthetic(sp) before it was inserted.
For the 1st question you asked I don't know if it will unclog but I want to say that I did hear that before. And yes the tears duct and nasal passage are connected that is why when you cry your nose runs. Sorry I don't have a deffinate answer for you.
One more comment- someone said that they thought with an epidural you could move your legs and with a spinal you can't. Well, with both of my epidurals I was NUMB NUMB NUMB and couldn't move my legs at all.
I've heard of a "walking epidural"  have no idea if this is differnt than a normal epidural-- perhaps just less numbing?  I have had 2 epidurals. Both times I could "feel" my legs, but didn't get up and go for a jog to test it out :)
A spinal is done higher in the back, an epidural is done lower. A "walking epidural" is less medicine. However, both hospitals I delivered at wouldn't allow for "walking epidurals" as they wanted patients w/ and epidural in bed so they could monitor them. With Tristan I had my epidural put in and after the initial dose, I was done. I forgot it was the "dope on a rope" style, so I never gave myself the boosters. The initial dose carried me through for an hour or so, long enough for them to load me up with Pitocin and then back off of it : )

It was probably for the best, I knew when my water broke, when I was dialating and when he was descending. All of this happened really quickly and it was so cool to feel!

Andi
Hi...

I am not 100% sure about the first question but I believe the spinal will pretty much numb you and the epidural you can still move your legs, etc.  I had a friend who they tried to get the epidural in a few times (not sure if it was 4 or 7, ha ha) and they ended up giving her a local as it was too late.  And in regards to your second question--my first son had a blocked tear duct.  It was really really bad.  His eye was gooed shut every morning and it would get worse throughout the day.  It did seem to flare up when he was taking bottles and I did not even think about the corrrelation.  The DR's just tell you to massage it, etc.  If it doesn't clear up by age 1 they do surgery (which is simple and fast--the scary part there that they have to be put under).  Casey's cleared up around 7 months so we were lucky but I did have a friend whose daughter had the surgery and no big deal, I guess!

Have a great day!  Tami
See the whole thing with the first question is My sister (first time mom) ...We My oldest sister and myself were telling her about c sections, recovery, babies .. to understand it better..Here it is... I love her dearly but she cant be told anything  (because she read it in a book) She thinks her kids are going to be prim and proper  not do anything bad etc..
She tells you what she wants for a baby gift-"Dont get anything just give us the money"  and since we have "TWO" you have to spend twice as much ...I said to her I dont think so..

So that leaves me with another question

What would you spend on a gift for family??? I know Christie brought it up about a co-worker but for family??

Hey girly! About the spinal and epi..... I am not for sure but I thing the spinal works almost immediatley and the epi takes a little bit. Don't hold me to this though! But I do know that with my last epi I could not move my legs.
I think as far as buying gifts for family you should spend what you are comfortable with. And if you do not want to give money don't. she should be happy with what she gets.
about the losing weight...... i have had really good success with sparkpeople.com  check it out. it gives you a customized plan to follow. i lost 20 pounds when i did it last summer.
Cinn, cinn, cinn........Your sister sounds like a mix between two of my brothers.......one can't keep a story straight and the other only wants "big" gifts or money........uggggggg. And when you buy for one of his kids birthdays he expects you to buy for the other as well!!!!! What are they thinking.....?????? Oh, and my mom loves to yard sale but if she tries to give his kids something 'not brand new' he throws a fit.......I love all the 'used' stuff she gets for my kids. He will even examine the stuff she gets all the grand kids for Christmas and if one of them got something more expensive than what his kids got he will pout.....
As for 'what to buy'.......I either don't buy.......or I keep it under $10 a gift. I usually do that for anyone that I buy for. Think I spent $12 last month on a friend of our's 2 year old but I missed his 1st birthday last year because I was in labor with my ds.
I don't spend alot on wrapping or gift bags either....just whatever paper I already have.....nothing special!!!
Well my brother had a baby im March and I spent 100. I think that is plenty  I bought outfits, baby products, etc...
Then she says Well I have two so you need to spend twice as much...I said I dont think so It will be split!! Even if she was kidding..I mean you dont say it no matter what!
Yes sounds like there is one in every family!!
Dh just says keep quiet  but you know me I CANT..
there is no way I would double it after that comment.  I wouldn;t give money either.  I have a ton of siblings.  And I give depending on my relationship with them and their need.  When my oldest sister had a kid (20 years after her last two)  I am not sure I gave anything.  When a closer sister had hers I gave gift cards.  Another sister lives in Montana - I went there for the babtism - I thought that was enough to spend.
Good luck - family dynamics is hard!