Maternal & Child Community
urinary tract infection in 11 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

urinary tract infection in 11 month old

two weeks ago my 11 month old daugher was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection when she had a fever of 105 with no other symptoms.  Luckily we caught it early and the antibiotics took care of it.  The thing that is really scaring me is the doctor said she wanted my daughter to come in for some tests to look at her kidneys via ultrasound, and also do a test which involves putting dye into her through a catheter and taking x rays.  I freaked myself out looking on the internet and reading about the kinds of things that could be wrong with her, including a kidney reflux, or, worst case scenerio, kidney disease.  She hasn't been growing very well and apparently that is another symptom of kidney problems in infants.  She was 8lbs 15 oz at birth and is now only 18 pounds.  I just can't believe that anything serious could be wrong with her, she's always been so healthy.  I was just wondering if maybe anyone else has been through something like this with their children, or have even had their baby diagnosed with a UTI?  
Tags: Infant
I just commented on this subject in a similar post.  I have a 2 1/2 year old and have been down this road.  She had 1 UTI when she was about 5 months old.  The only symptom I picked up on was a fever as well.  We treated the infection with antibiotics and similar to yours, she was scheduled for an U/S and a VCUG.  

The U/S is to check the anatomy of the kidneys (for enlargement or damage), and the VCUG (dye test) was to check for kidney refux (when the urine flows backwards into the kidney, instead of out).  The U/S was a quick and easy procedure.  The VCUG can be a little more uncomfortable (made my little one cry, so take a stuffed toy or something along to comfort her), because they have to put in a catether, etc, but don't worry, it's not painful.

In our case, it turned out my daughter does have kidney reflux (Grade 3, on scale of 1-5).  I was sort of freaked out in the beginning, but we've just monitored it, and it's not been any big deal.  Luckily, she hasn't had a UTI since.

I wouldn't worry too much yet.  The tests sound scary, but chances are they'll show nothing.  My niece had the same thing at 18 months, and she checked out fine and never had another UTI either.

Good luck.
When my dd was 5 months old (now 8 months old) she had a febrile seizure out of no-where.  Her temp went from being normal to 103 in seconds and then the seizure.  Up until that point she was fine.  I had to call 911 and it turned out to be a UTI that caused the fever that caused the seizure.  She was admitted for 4 days and then send home on antibiotics.  She too had to go back for those tests you are mentioning.  It scared me to death because they say UTI in infants is rare so it made me think somethign was wrong with her.  Those tests are called a renal ultrasound and a VCUG.  She had both and they are pretty much painless and thank God she was fine.  Try not to read stuff online and get those tests quickly so you dont have to worry anymore.  She was just sick again and they did another test for a UTI, since she had one in her past - it is more commen for her to get another but the test was negative.  Good Luck