Maternal & Child Community
vaccines, vitamin k shot and eye oitment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am thinking of not giving any of the above to my child when it is born or otherwise.I have been researching the tops for all and believe that it is not right for my child. i was just wondering how everyone else feels about this and would like to start a conversation and get people views good and bad.

This is what I have found
vitamin k is given to help clot the blood, ( not so bad right?) however 1 in 10,000 newborns actually require additional vitamin k, vitamin k is supplied in the mothers colustrum. On the ingrediant list glycol is mentions this is in anti freeze. I know this because I had a freind who is a nurse actually read me the ingrediants.

Eye Oitment is given to  newborns incase the mother has an STD> but we are all tested for STD's thought out pregnacy, the only reason to give this to our child is if an STD is present, so if we dont have one then why are our babies still recieing an antibotic (antibiotic) just minutes after coming into the world?? Additionaly, the first hour of life is the best time for baby to bond with mother and father, once the oitment is given the babies vision is blurred....

Vaccines are scary! and are not at all like the ones we were given as children. In 1983 we were given 18 vaccines, now that nubmer is over 40!! to a 2 month old baby!! FYI the reason you are required to stay with your baby for 15 minutes is so that the nurse can check if you child has had a seizure!! and what if it has?? there is also increasing evidence that vaccines can cause autism, cancer ect. The vaccines attack the brain stem of the child which cause seizures, they recommend giving the child fish oil after vaccines to help repair the damage in the brain stem. Notice how alot of babies develope allergys (allergies) after their shots, or fevers??

these are just the things i hav come across but i would love to hear from anyone else.
the vax talk will always start a debate but maybe this time it can be accomplished in a mature way ;)

i vax my children.  i have a 10 yr old and a 10 month old.  imo the chances of getting sick outweigh the odds of an allergy from them.  there is no proof that they can cause autism or cancer (while seizure is a poss.) and untill they can say 100% it does i feel it is better than my child getting sick.  

i have never been instructed in the 15 min rule you have talked about.  not one person i know has had an issue and if you calculate the children over the years (include our parents and us ect) how many have actually had a bad reaction?  why wasnt autism a problem way back when the vax' contained worse ingrediants?  

you have every right to choose what is best for you and your baby.  however dont go blindly into your decisions.  discuss it with your ped.   there are so many anti vax parents now that you are seeing a rise in measles and what if it were to become polio or other again?  not a good idea.  

what i would suggest is researching all vax's and you are able to decide which ones are best for your baby.  you can skip the vax for chicken pox, but get the mmr.  you can forego the ear infection vax but take the polio.  good luck in choosing.  being a mom for the first time is scary enough, but i want you to know that you have to listen to both sides.  the anti vaxing parents (not trying to bash just stating what i have experienced) will scare you with sometimes false info.  good luck!
i think pertykity has some great advice for you on this subject. i commend you for trying to educate yourself on the issues and doing your own research but do not jump to conclusions after reading just one or two articles on any given subject. i was not aware of the eye ointment you are saying they administer to newborns, nor was i advised of such when my son was born. i can't say for certainty that he definately did not get it, but i really don't think so. i read ALL of my paperwork through and through before i had him and read of the vitamen k shot, but not this eye ointment. the vitamen k i think is important. especially if you don't plan to or are unable to breastfeed. i also feel that the hospitals would not administer it to all the thousands of newborns born every day if it was not necessary. the unfortunate events that occur when babies are administered more than the prescribed dose (i.e.: dennis quaid's twins) are terrible occurances but unfortunately the risk one takes when leaving their life and that of their newborn in someone else's hands. question - if you are so against the hospital procedures, why don't you have a home birth with a midwife? thats always an option.

as far as vaccinations, i cannot stress enough the importance of vaccinating your child. i strongly believe that anyone who does not vaccinate is truly causing an impedement to society. you don't necessarily have to get every vaccine suggested and you don;t have to do it on the time schedule you are given. i encourage you to research the vaccines and the suggested spacing between them and absolutely you can pick and choose which to do and when to do them. but to not protect your child and everyone else's children against deadly diseases like polio and measles, mumps, rubella and hepatitis is just ludacris. i mean really, do you plan on putting your child in a bubble? are they going to be home schooled and never leave the house? is your unvaccinated child going to play on the same playground as an unvaccinated newborn and pass to them a communicable disease? these are things where the risks outweigh the benefits. entirelly. i have to disagree that the finding if vaccinations causing autism are climbing. i actually think they are decreasing. being disproven. as far as the damage to the brain stem - i have never been instructed to wait 15 minutes after a vaccination and never to give my son fish oil after either. i hardly think that a fever devloping after a vaccination is proof of damage to the brain stem and as perty kity said - i would choose an allergy over polio for my child any day. my son has had all of the vaccinations required by his daycare and has gotten the flu shot this year also. i would absolutely vaccinate my next child as well. i feel it is our responsibility as parents to do so. keep researching. you have a lot of time until your baby is born and you have the ability to make very educated decisions. good luck.
I believe we are a healthier society because of the these advances. I believe it is very easy to be duped into these false claims because you find yourself being led to web sites who give inaccurate information.

Research the other side as well. Find out the effects on those children not being vaccinated. Find out that the rates of outbreaks for previously eradicated diseases are on the rise. Find out that since the inception of Vitamin K and antibiotic ointment administration, the rates of blindness and clotting issues have drastically dropped.

Step outside the small number of web site you visit and look deeper into the web sites that are not spearheaded by folks who don't have a firm grasp on medical facts and figures. Research peer-reviewed journals and studies.

Neither of mine had the eye ointment, it wasn't a practice to even give the eye ointment in the UK where my first was born, I opted out of it with my second as I knew I was clear of any STD's and have been my whole life. Both mine had the vitK and both my boys followed their vaccination schedule; however vaccinations at birth is not practiced in either the UK or Canada so I think my boys were 2 or 3 months old before they got their first shots. My eldest son is autistic, I am absolutley convinced that his vaccinations have nothing to do with his Autism, it's just part of his genetic make up; he is who he is and it didn't put me off vaccinating my second child nor will it put me off vaccinating any future children either.
I believe in vaccinations for the good of society.  Vaccinations only work if the majority of people have them.  Small pox was only wiped out because EVERYONE was vaccinated.  Once a virus gets into someone who is not vaccinated, not only will it hurt that person but it can mutate to infect a vaccinated person and start the chain of events all over again and we will have no idea how to cure it or vaccinate against it.  I believe that science has come a long way over the years to help protect us against diseases and all of the people who are not vaccinating their children are going to set us back 40 years.  cancer and autism are still things that we are waiting for a cure on.  People are working on them, but if we have to go back and figure out how to revaccinate against a new strain of measels, mumps... than cancer and autism are going to be pushed aside once again.  The only way for us to move forward in our science and disease prevention to help find cures against things with no cure and no vaccination is for ALL of us to go with the science we already have and not try to back track anything.  By the way, small pox is the only disease that is wiped out.  That is why we no longer vaccinate against it.  All of these other diseases are still out there and your child can get them. If your child is in the minority, one who is not vaccinated, where is the infection going to go?  Right to your child!  Diseases look for a place to grow.  If it isnt in me, it will find a new place...the one who is not vaccinated.   If we ALL get vaccinated we can wipe these diseases out, making less vaccines for our grandchildren to get.  New diseases will arise and they will need new vaccines.  If we dont get vaccinated and we dont get rid of these diseases instead of 40 vaccines our grandchildren will be getting 100.  OR we can wipe them out and just let them get vaccinated against the new stuff.  So maybe you can thank your mom and grandmom for getting the small pox vaccine so you and your children didnt have to get it but give them a nice big smack in the face by not doing the same for the next generation. (not being mean, just passionate, also not directed at the op)
In addition, I would so much rather have a child with autism that I can see and love daily, than have my child suffer and eventually die from measels.  Maybe that is just my point of view.
On 9/26 I had to take my son to the doctors for the mmr vaccine.  I was absolutely sick over exactly what could happen, what might happen.  I did it anyway and will pray for the best for him, but I do know that I protected him from more things than I exposed him to.  
Oh and by the way, babies have VERY blurry vision anyway when they are born.  And yes as other have said, I am very happy to hear that you have done your research and are continueing to do your research by asking on this site.  I really was in no way trying to be rude to you.  you asked for opinions and that is mine.  As someone else said, look at all of the vaccines.  some are more important than othes.  In fact they just came out with a new vaccine for a thing that I had never heard of.  something about some sort of cold that puts infants in the hospital more often than anything else.  I opted to not get that for my son.  So I am not pro all vaccines.  Just some major ones. Good Luck in your decision.
Thank you for your comments, I knew asking this question people would have strong opinion and I am not at all offended.
I do take what everyone said into account,however I would like to point out that its not just a couple websites that I have come across online that have made me reconsider giving these things to my child. I have spoken with other mothers and holostic doctors. I think its important to research the information in all places possible and of course I realize sometimes the internet is not the best place to get your information. Dont get me wrong I have come across many websites that are pro vaccines and they give the same reason you guys do. I just believe personally its ignorant to assume our medical professionals always know what is best. Keeping in mind alot of hospitals and doctors get paid to give these vaccines. Its just like a vet recommending certain food s for your pet, they get paid from those manufactures to do so. I think its important to listen to what our doctors tell us and then do our own resaerch. Doctors are not always right, but society tells us they are.
I dont want to offend anyone and that was not my intention. I will point out that alot of people are not made aware of the eye oitment given to newborns,it just is. unless you have already spoken to your health care provider about it. Keep in mind I am in Canada and things in the US or UK could be different. I noticed no one commented on the fact that glycol is an ingrediant in the vitamin k shot. I am not saying that I dont want my child given vitamin k if it is neccasey however if I choose to give it to them then it will be from a health food store, so that I know for my own sence of security there is nothing but vitamin k in the serum. Of course I realize that after being given this shot there could be no ill side affects, however such side affects could take years to develope or be something that we have been told by the medical profession as heriditary and so forth. in this case itsnt it best to safe rather than sorry later on?  
Heres a question why are our children now getting vaccinated for chicken pox? I had chicken pox as a child and wasnt dealthy ill, infact all my siblings had it and nothing happened. Our bodies simply fought the virus and succeeded with no medical intervention.
as for the comment maybe i should hire a midwife and have a homebirth, i am also reseaching that as an option. however i dont see why you think i cant deliver my child in a hospital just b/c i am not interested in my child having a vitamin k shot and eye oitment. My aunte and sister in law both delivered in a hospital and neither one of their children was given the k shot or eye oitment.
I absolutely agree that I need to continue reasearching these topics before I amke my final decision, but I think its just as important for those of you who are for vaccines to do your research and not take what your doctors tell you as law.

i really hope i have not offended anyone, i was simply interested in the topics and wanted to get other views which i obviously have.

I would worry more about vitamin K given from a health food store than from my doctor, you have absolutely no guarantee that you are getting Vitamin K in it, you could be getting any number of things. Herbal preparations are not as closely monitored for quality control as other medications or food items.

I will take a legitimate medical doctor over holistic doctors any day. A balance between the two is fine, but I want MD accompanying my pediatrician. I am not troubled or alarmed at the conspiracy theory propagated by your group. I know that millions of children and adults were spared polio because we vaccinated. I know millions of children are spared suffering from measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, Hib, influenza, smallpox, and the list goes on.

There is mercury in those "green" flourescent bulbs every one raves about. There are PBDE is mattresses, couch cushions, vehicle seats, baby mattresses, yet folks put their kids to bed in their cribs without a second thought.

I think it is great you have your views and there is an entire forum dedicated to your theories on here. You will likely find more like-minded folks over there.
if we could all be treated in a holistic and natural homeopathic way wouldnt that be great?  however there is the time to try it and the time to remember that modern medicine isnt just here for the almighty buck.  never use anything on a newborn, in fact some herbs and oils can be harmful or fatal to a newborn.  never should a person ever try it from researching they have done on the computer.  

i wanted to believe you were really here for everyones replies even if they werent like your own but it seems you wanted to just pass judgement and start a ruckus.  you can do as you will with your baby, but dont start coming down on any of us that vax our kids and tell us we did not research ourselves.  what is next, the fetal tissue in vaccination theory? lol  
Folks will feel safe slamming those of us injecting poisons in our children as long as our children outnumber theirs and we are keeping those diseases at bay. We'll see what happens if the unthinkable happens and the numbers shift.

I skipped all of those with my 3rd born with the full support of my MD. She helped fend off the OB nurses who are trained to just do it.  The hospital is probably the biggest advocate of these procedures so be prepared to sign waivers and insist. Helps if your MD is like-minded.  

I have read a lot too on vaccines and while I do some of them at an older age, I support your decision and know there is a lot of data.  Japanese don't vaccinate at all til kid is at least 2 years old btw.

The varicella (new chickenpox vaccine) case, which is now pretty much proven to have been a disaster not only for the kids (who are not immune) but for the older population (who are now at risk for shingles as we will be too) is just one example of how life is very complex.  Make your own choices! It's YOUR child....
thank you.
i have 7 children.  6 of those children are healthy and happy... they run.. play.. jump... breath... are intelligent.. have wonderful personalities.. and live life as they should... as growing children.

1 of those children .. is dead.   7 days after getting his 9 week shots.. he died .  autopsy was done.  the shots killed him

cdc told me that it was worth it.  that there are a small amount of children who will die.. but that it was worth those children dying so that other children may live.  

i hope everyone whos children are happy healthy and bouncy thank me.

do i sound bitter?  yep.. 9 years later.. i am pissed.  i should have educated myself... does anyone here know of others whos child was taken from them due to being vaccinated?  seriously.. your views just might change.  

im not totally anti vaccination... being where i live.. i will have my son get the tetnus shot.. but the others.. no way.   im not willing to risk seeing another "cause for the cdc baby in a funeral home"

its a choice.. do the research.. find out.. get your self educated..

another thing.. i hold nor harbour any ill will to those who have their children vaccinated.. to each his own..  its your child.. its your choice...
take care everyone...
I had both of my kiddos vaccinated on schedule with no problems- of which I'm very thankful. My little guy has a lot of delays but it's not autism and has nothing to do with shots as we knew at birth.   I have researched this quite a bit and dicussed it with my ped.  I am due in November and personally think it is very important to get vacc. however, I'm not going to do 6 shots at once. Our Ped. is completely fine with spreading them out and instead of doing 6 shots at 2 months, we'll spread them out a ways.  I do have to agree that being vacc. is safer for your child than not.  Chicken Pox I'mnot convinced on although my kids both got it but I'm regretting it as I too had Chicken Pox, not until 5th grade and they were pretty bad but I wasn't very sick- just lots of pox!!!  

I agree, it's a choice but it needs to be a completely researched educated one, not just what 1 person is saying.
I am so sorry to hear about your son. its storys like that that will make me do my research. thank you for sharing your tragic loss.
I have been called 'one of those new age hippy-dippy people''..not here, but jokingly some have in my circle. Hey, even I call myself that sometimes! In other words, I typically like to find natural remedies or therapies for some medical things. I sort of see where you are going with this. But as such, I have to say, I do vac. my children. I consider myself a pretty well educated person, and I do my research as well. The only shots I DO NOT give my girls is the flu shot. I have turned them down every year, for my own reasons. I think the others are so important. At this point, my research has not found any conclusive evidence that show otherwise. The Varicella Vac I do because I got chick Pox later on at about 12 and I was so miserable, and it took me twice as long to get over them then other children who were younger. I understand what you are saying. Doc. can sometimes be a money driven and dead wrong sometimes. I couldn't tell you how many time I have been misdiagnosed when it comes to various illnesses I have dealt with. Second opinions never hurt. I don't see why with the life style (more of a natural tree hugger kinda way;) I choose to live and the medical society options and opinions can't blend together, I think both offer good advice and options. Hopefully you can see some value in that. Best of luck, I am sure you will find what is best for you and your growing family. take care.
Like to correct someone above Quote "Small pox was only wiped out because EVERYONE was vaccinated"  
Actually vaccination only played a small part in this. If u look at stats, it was decreasing in much larger numbers anyway before vaccination.
I think u are correct to be concerned. Dont listen to all the people who say you are putting your child in danger. Most of these illnesses are mild in the healthy, and its v controversial to vaccinate the whole population. There are ADR's...and they are under reported. I had one in 1969, and it was covered up by Diagnosis unknown although it happened 5 mins afterwoods. I nearly died. Now vaccines are safer, but ADR's are still covered up. Unless you a proof. Timing and common sense is not enough. I had nearly every illness in the 70's, yet the only thing that nearly killed me was the whooping cough vaccination. Do not talk to your doctor or health visitor as probably, as in the UK, their practice earns a lot of money from the percentage of babies vaccinated. Its a choice, but our baby remains unvaccinated due to no long term studies.
As some others have said it's a very personal choice.  I think other factors that need to be considered as well are family history of illnesses, your geographic location, your ethnicity/religion...all of these factors can impact your childs risk of getting any of the diseases that are vaccinated against.  Another factor to consider is the fact that many daycares, schools and colleges require immunizations before admittance. While many of them allow children who are not vaccinated due to religious or personal preferences, there are still many that will NOT allow an unvaccinated child under any circumstance.

I have vaccinated my children with all of the "usual" (not the new ones like gardisil)  they have all gotten the eye ointment and vitamin k, etc.  But that was mine and their dads choice.  I personally believe that these vaccinations are doing more good than harm.  However, I may have changed my mind had I had an experience similiar to mozartcowgirl.  It all boils down to what YOU want and what YOU believe is right.  

No matter what you decide you will always have someone who opposes your decision.  Do what you feel is best.