Maternal & Child Community
vaccines for new parents?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

vaccines for new parents?

my OB wanted me and my husband to get the flu shot since dd is too young. he also strongly encouraged us to get Adacel (DTaP). i mentioned this to the pediatrician this morning when we were talking about vaccines. he said it was a great idea, and that his drug rep keeps pushing him to recommend it for parents. Despite that it was the drug rep pushing it, he said it is a good idea since he actually knows a mom who had a cough and her baby ended up with whooping cough at 2 weeks old and almost died. apparently whooping cough is on the rise around the country, and our little ones don't get the vaccine til later on. he said it could be irradicated if adults got the booster, but that's not likely to happen.

anyways, apparently not all doctors tell parents this, and i thought i'd share it with you. i know vaccines are controversial on this forum, but i'm talking about you and immediate family getting it, not the baby. (by the way- that shot hurt like cray for days!!! but i guess it was worth it to help protect my baby. plus, i was due for the tetanus anyways).
My doctor told me the same thing just yesterday! She told me to get my flu shot (which I have never gotten before) to protect Brody. She said everyone in the family should get it. I have protested this shot in the past...but I suppose maybe I should take her advice. I'm sure my girls won't be too happy though! I suppose Ben, the girls and I should all march our butts in and get them for Brody's sake.
i'm making my mom and sister (her primary babysitters) get the flu shot. i wasn't going to make them get the pertussis though. i also asked her daycare provider if they are required to get their flu shot. dd hasn't started yet, and i'm already a pain-in-the-butt parent :)
I got the flu shot two weeks ago, along with my husband and my (10 month old) son.  We got the kind without thimeresol (sp) for the baby, but we just got the regular one.  I have no problem with the flu shot -- even got it when preggers.  I would be so happy to never have the flu again in my whole life!
yea- dh said many of the flu shots have a lot of thimerisol- way too much for a baby. so when she turns 6 months, we're going to check and see which one the ped. uses. although i'm sure they use the ones without.
My doctor dragged me down the hall to get the flu shot 2 days ago.  She said the same thing.  I didn't want it and she said yes yes to protect the baby.  I got it and my arm has a big knot on it and is sore.  Not sure if this is normal
My family and I have gotten the flu shot for several years and my ob said it was especially important with a little one joining the family.  In all honesty, the years we've gotten it we've been healthier than ever and any little thing we do pick up has been shorter and less severe than when we haven't gotten the shot.  Coincidence?  Perhaps, but I won't even take a chance -- who wants to be sick?

As for the knot that Kris talks about...try massaging it and take some ibuprofen.  It never hurts me when I get the shot, but my arm can be sore for a day or two after.  I massage, take Tylenol or Advil and even put some heat on it.  I've never found it unmanageable, but everyone is different.

Good luck!
CJ, T, and I got ours last week. T is scary when he gets shots, I have never seen a kid that just stares without so much as a whimper. Kind of freaked the nurses out. To be honest, kind of freaks me out but he has always been a stoic boy.

did anyone else get a booster for pertussis? it's often given as part of the DTaP.
Hi...I also saw something about getting the DTaP booster for parents since whooping cough is on the rise and newborns don't get the vaccine and are at risk from serious complications if they get the disease.

Question...does anyone know when they want parents to get it?  I'm assuming after baby is born (at least for mom), but wasn't sure.

Seems like a good idea if we can protect baby by protecting ourselves...just my opinion.
yes- my ob said to wait until she's born. in fact, he didn't give it at my 6 wk pp checkup but rather at my annual (happened to be 4 months pp). i don't know why though.
Aw, we just got the kiddos their flu shots as Cam is high risk.  I get vaccinated every year, little things can attack little ones so fast.  I would get that shot ASAP, it takes a little while to build immunity and we are starting to see some cases of the flu already.  My nephew had whooping cough, poor little guy got past it.  Carson was brave and wanted to be first, so his baby brother could see how it's not so bad and how tough his big bro is.  Really sweet.  He had no idea since we were at the Dr. office for Cam and we had to cancel their shots with Cam being sick last time.  They decided it was best to just get it done, if we waited till Cam was better, they said it may be too late.  Afterwards, went to McDonalds, thought Carson needed a good surprise.  
Kennedy and i both get the flu shot every year. Her being as little as she is myself working in the health field it is recommended. It was greta this year when we got ours, because Kennedy looked up top the nurse and pointed at her thigh and said "you do that to me!" She was a big about it over all bc i promised they would give her a bandaide...well i got one and she didnt and needless to say i heard about it allllllll night!
Babies get their first DTaP shot at their 2 month visit. If you are not sure if you want to get the DTaP shot yourself you can asked to get your titers checked to see if you even need it. Most all of us were vaccinated for it as children.
No you cannot get pertussis shot by itself..the DTaP cant be broken up.

Has anyone gotten whooping cough as an adult?