Maternal & Child Community
vicodin and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

vicodin and pregnancy

I'm 16 weeks pregnancy and have been on vicodin for 6 months.I take on most days 2 tabs 3-4times a day of the 5/500mg.I would like to know the effects of doing this.The docs are not being very helpful and they the one giving me this.I have pelvic symphanic.That where my pelvic bone separate too far and I can't walk.Any help would be helpful.
thanks
just did some research for you and it indicates that vicodin is a class C for pregnancy meaning that there is very little research which shows the effects of the drug on the baby.  It does say that with it being a drug (narcotic) that premature labour is possible and that babe may have some breathing troubles after entering the world.  Not sure if the babe will go through withdrawls or not.  

Can you go to another doc for a second opinion??  Perhaps check with the pharmacist as they are very knowledgable as well.  
Not sure what the effects are on the baby, other than the vicodin is passing thru the placenta.  Could they put you on say a high dose ibuprofen and tylenol w/codeine combo and take you off the vic?  I've been put on this combo for pain after giving birth and while nursing.  Don't know if it is strong enough for your condition to be managable or not.  Try seeing if you can't get another concocction of drugs that have less issues.  Best of luck.
Thanks guys.My next ob/gyn appt is next tuesday so I'm going to discuss all this with him.He want me to find a pain specialist to give me an epitdoral nerve block but the meds they use with that is very unsafe for the baby.So I'm back at square one.This is so upsetting.This is my last one.I have 2 kids now and Have had this with them too.With the last 2 I was seeing a different ob/gyn.They had me on darvocet.I changed ob/gyn cuz after the last one they left half the placenta in me and I got very sick and had to have er surgery.There are not alot of docs in the u.s. that treat this problem but there is britian.Thats what I've found on the internet.So if any one can help.Thanks
I was prescribed Vicodin, which is acetominaphen with codeine, like Tylenol with codeine, near the end of my first pregnancy with my daughter. Ibuprofen is a big no during pregnancy, which is why the Vicodin is prescribed.  My OB told me that the codeine doesn't cross the placenta...but I am not sure how true that really is as I've read of babies being born addicted.  Your Dr. should really be more willing to discuss this with you as you are concerned.  If you feel your needs are not being met, you can always  get a second opinion.  Good luck!
Vicodin is not acetaminophen with codeine.  It is hydrocodone and acetaminophen.  

Most doctors want you on as little as possible during the pregnancy, to try to lessen any possible problems for your baby when he/she is born.  

Take as little as you can get by with to keep your pain reasonable, and follow your doctors advise when you go next Tues.  

Good luck.  Let us know how things go.
Your right...my brain farted, and I thought it looked wrong, but I couldn't figure out why.  Sorry.
Well guys. . .I decided to go back to the ob/gyn that delivered my last two kids.He was so much more reassuring.He knows my history.So he said that the vicodin is fine. . .not to worry about it now.He said if the pain gets worst. . .we will deal with that later and other things they can do.But I just wanted to say thanks to everybody.
So now they think I have placenta previa.So tomorrow I go to see a specialist to see for sure.If it's not one thing it's something else.This pregnancy has been so stressful.I just can't relax.Between kids,bills and problems. . .I'm not sure what to do next.Will let everyone know tomorrow.Thanks
So I guess that the problem is that I have scar tissue in my uterus.Not placenta previa.But they are going to just check another ultrasound.They said that it can cause pre-term labor.