Maternal & Child Community
vicodin while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

vicodin while pregnant

I have had a problem controlling myself when it
comes to prescription pain pills for years. I was clean
for quite a while, but ironically when I called my
neurologist (I have terrible chronic headaches) to
tell him I'm pregnant, he told me to stop taking
all my meds and that he would call something in that
I could take while pregnant. Well, the "something"
he called in was 90 vicodin with 4 refills!

I started crying right in the drugstore, because
I knew that with my history of addiction I would
not be able to use self control, and sure enough I've
been taking about 8-10 a day. I'm only 6 weeks now,
and if I can't get a hold of myself soon, I'm going to
get help...My question is: Is there anyone out there who has been through this? Anyone who has taken prescription narcotics while pregnant? I am interested in hearing the outcome of the pregnancy. continued...

Both the neurologist and my OB have assured me that vicodin is safe, but of course they are assuming that I'm taking them on an "as desperately needed only" basis, they have no idea how many I'm taking. I have really been beating myself up about my lack of self control, but I can't stop myself. I have 3 kids under the age of 8, work full time, go to school full time and am very active in my church. I know this is not an excuse for addiction, but pills not only numb my pain, but they allow me to escape the stress of my reality. I am able to do everything, calmly and happily. It sounds pathetic, but I am a WAY better mother when I have pills, more patient, happy, loving.

Does anybody know of a baby that was born with problems because of vicodin? I'm not talking about them being born addicted, because I WILL NOT allow that to happen. I know better than that. What I want to know about is birth defects, developemental stuff. Thank you, and please refrain from condeming me, I feel bad enough. If you don't know anyone who has been through this and all you want to do is tell me how bad of a person I am, please keep your comment to your self.
I took pain medication (prescribed) throughout my whole pregnancy.  It's considered relatively safe but please PLEASE talk to your dr.
If the baby is born addicted and they doctors do not know about it social services will get involved.
That being said, there are no adequate studies on whether or not pain medicationuse causes birth defects but more likely than not, it doesn't, BUT you need to taper dpown your dosages......
Also, I hate to say this but DO NOT go cold turkey if you do plan on quitting.  The stress on the baby can be extremely dangerous and life threatening.
If you want more info on how to taper go to the addiction forum on this site.  The people there are not judgmental and they will be glad to give you support and help and answer any questions you might have,.......
Good luck to you.
It sounds pathetic, but I am a WAY better mother when I have pills, more patient, happy, loving.

I know you might FEEL this way but it's just not true.
Please keep posting here or in the addiction forum.  People are here to help you.  I've been through addiction (after I gave birth) and have since beat it and know that your thoughts are only clouded at this time.  You probably don't remember how to actually LIVE without them.
There is help!!
i fall n broke my wrist last week i didnt know i was preggo until yesterday but i only took 3 victidon one per day last week i hope its okay
I just wanted to commend you for being honest and reaching out for help and advice, so many out there do not... I have taken nothing more than tylenol during my pregnany, I even broke my toe and sprain my ankle and declined pain pills b/c I'm worried oh the same thing, I never took it w/out needing it before BUT i can see why it happens, I will keep you and your baby in my prayers

P.s. have you tried google vicodin and pregnancy?

Go bless
The active ingredient in vicodin and percocet is tylenol so that is why it is prescribed to women during pregnancy for severe pain.  I took it throughout my pregnancy and was monitored very closely.  I gave birth to my DD at a VERY healthy weight and she was fine.  
They don't have many studies done on it but they say (and my dr is one of the most highly respected peri-natal specialists inthe state of NY) that there is no evidence it does any damage besides having the child comeout addicted which causes breathing difficulties and poor sucking reflexes along with irritability and excessive vomitting and crying.  Istopped well before I was set to deliver.
But again, I stress that it is very dangerous for both parties to abrupty stop taking it if you have been taking it for a prolonged period of time.
Maybe if you talk to your OB he/she can prescribe something else for you.I hope you can figure out a solution.

http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=1221&TradeName=Vicodin&TradeId=2719

Teratogenic in some animals producing central nervous system anomalies.
Suggested association between exposure in 1st trimester and some congenital anomalies mainly cardiovascular defects, but the data is limited.
B The risk category will be D only if used for prolonged period or in high doses at term.  

On safefetus.com it says vicodin is a
class B
Either animal-reproduction studies have not demonstrated a fetal risk but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women, or animal-reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect (other than a decrease in fertility) that was not confirmed in controlled studies in women in the first trimester (and there is no evidence of a risk in later trimesters)

But if used in higher doses it is a

class D
There is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk (e.g., if the drug is needed in a life-threatening situation or for a serious disease for which safer drugs cannot be used or are ineffective).

This will obviously be self-limiting - I would think on the second or third refill,  the pharmacist will raise a red flag,  since it will be clear how many you are taking.   Isn't that right?  Don't they monitor drugs like vicodin very carefully?

I can't imagine how you can take so many and still function - when I was recovering from a c-section,  I couldn't even get up off the couch after taking 1.  

Best wishes.  
Thank you so much girlybuff, your posts made me feel a lot better, you have given me hope.

I am going to taper down, and try not to get a refill when they're gone.

I have no doubt in my mind that I will stop well before my due date, I would never put my baby through withdrawals, I know from experience how awful that feels. I just hope I have the strength to stop completely sooner rather than later...

I would appreciate prayers. Especially for my baby, that he/she will be protected from their mother's stupidity/weakness.

Thanks, and God Bless!
You'll be ok... Try not to taper down too quickly or it will be too hard on both of you.
Try to taper a pill a week or so......
Again, I don't know how to taper properly.  Talk to the people on the addiction forum.  They can give you specific instructions..

To RockRose:
No.  Pharmacists are not doctors and cannot monitor what you're taking.  If you are being prescribed medication it is not for the pharmacy to say it's too much, since they do not have vital information such as what it is that's ailing you.  It's up to the individual dr.  The pharmacy can raise a red flag if you're dr shopping, i.e., getting prescriptions from more than one or two docs for the same thing, especially narcotics but other than that, it's none of their business.

numbinmpls:
Please talk to someone about the best way to taper....
And BEST WISHES!!!

this girl came here for supprt h si , iroeny
Hi. I replied to your post not out of obligation or in any way to judge you or talk to you from the position of healthcare provider.  I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I truly am just concerned about you and really care about your welfare.  

I feel pain medication is warranted, addictive patients included, if there is pain.  Especially severe pain, or pain after a procedure.  Chronic pain, is trickier.  Some of my patients have such chronic pain that highly addictive narcotics are justified and they are on pain contracts with their doctors.  

I just want what is best for you. That is why I wanted you to talk to your doctor(s).  Not to keep you in pain now, or after a procedure, but to give you other options.  

I truly wish you the best.  God bless you.
Pharmacists can refuse to fill an Rx if it isn't within the proper timeframes.  I think you definitely need to seek some counseling. Prescription addiction is very serious and if caught there are serious consequences.  You seem to be a very sensible person, and want to do what it right for your unborn baby. Please, please find a counselor, talk to your doctor, clergy, something to help you be able to overcome this. Good luck, and please stay with us for support.  
I just noticed that I put  "Go Bless" I left the d off sorry I mean God bless and I will keep you and your baby in my prayers ():-)
Vicodin contains TWO ingredients. One is indeed found in Tylenol (acetaminophen) but you won't find people addicted to this.  The other ingredient hydrocodone is an opiate and acts like morphine. It is incredibly addictive and extremely DANGEROUS to the fetus in high doses like you are taking.

You need to tell your doctor right now that you need detox treatment to get off of it right away.  You can't actually get off of it on your own from what I've heard.  Don't think you're not addicted or in danger at the doses you are taking. I am not judging you in any way on this, just trying to convince you that this is serious.

It may feel like things are better on it but they are not.  You cannot perceive how you seem to others on prescription drugs (or any drug)--I have known people in this state and they are checked out, distant, apathetic and not able to pay attention to the needs of children, let alone adult partners or friends. But yes, they feel very relaxed and calm and the whole world goes by more slowly. That's part of why it's addictive. Please seek help. This is like the new valium. Don't forget a big part of addiction is denial so it's natural to THINK you don't need help.  

Does your husband or baby's father know about it? Maybe he could help. Hope you can find a good doctor...best wishes to you.
Please stop taking the Vicodin.

I know your post is geared toward asking what it will do to the baby.  You see, you are trying to justify taking this drug, as long as the risks to the fetus are small.  Taking this medication is justified as long as you are taking it as prescribed.  However, you are addicted and you aren't able to do this.  It's not a matter of will power, or you being a weak, or bad person.  It is about you needing help.

You are not the only one.  I prescribe Vicodin on a daily basis, including to my pregnant patients.  There a lot of people who are already addicted to it because health care providers hand it out like candy.  I so much appreciate it when my patients tell me up front 'please don't prescribe a narcotic, I have problems with addiction'. The last thing I want to do is give them something they have to fight not to take and a drug that causes them so much guilt and personal pain.

Please tell your neurologist the reason you can't take the Vicodin.  Please ask him if there are any other alternatives. Please decline the narcotic if offered and your physician doesn't know you have an addiction.  I know you are worried about the baby, but I'm worried about YOU.  It's not a matter of feeling better with vicodin, that's its intended purpose.  It is a matter of accepting that you have an addiction, admitting it, and seeking help.  Please stop taking the vicodin and talk with your doctor(s). Ask if this is something that they want you take regularly, under their control, given your inability to take it as prescribed and history of problems with it.  You will also need some other type of professional help and support.  Please look into resources nearby you.

I will be praying for you.  I know you want to do what you think is right. I have faith you will.  God give you strength.  

pearl99: My original post said "Thank you, and please refrain from condeming me, I feel bad enough. If you don't know anyone who has been through this and all you want to do is tell me how bad of a person I am, please keep your comment to your self." I know how hard it is to resist an opportunity to look down your nose at someone, but please do try. My children's needs are very well taken care of, thank you.

Peachsnapple: I am afraid to admit my addiction to doctors because I worry that I will get "blacklisted" and someday when I am in truly unbearable pain I will be left to suffer. This all started with my first c-section 8 years ago, and I will be having another c-section this time. If I tell my OB I have a problem, will she leave me in pain after my surgery? I am not a tough person when it comes to pain, obviously, and I couldn't bear suffering like that...

My sincere thanks to the rest of you, I feel your caring concern and have taken it to heart. I know I won't refill this bottle, not after reading everything you all have had to say. And thank you for your prayers, please continue to pray for my baby.
Numb - how can you get "blacklisted"?    I don't think that's possible!  And when you have your c-section,  the doc prescribing meds will give you something other than this,  and that would be a great thing.  The LAST thing you want is to have a new baby and ANOTHER vicodin prescription!  

I think you can approach your doctor as if this is news to you that you are addicted.    Like,  I just got this Rx and I've taken all of it this is horrible I don't need any more of this!    I don't think you have to go into some long history of addiction,  just say you gave me an Rx and this has worked out horribly already.  Nip it in the bud.

And honestly,  I don't believe you won't fill your refills, if you're given the opportunity.   I have an addictive personality,  and I know  you will do it.  You will.  You know in your heart you will,  and that's why you said earlier you'd try  not to.  You'll try,  but you will refill in a weak moment.  

Think of the guilt and self-loathing you've felt during your addictive periods,  and imagine how magnified that will be if you deliver a disabled baby.    You can still get away from this,  cleanly.  You can still avoid disaster.  Do it.  

Best wishes.  I get what you're saying,  as hard as it is to admit.  Been there,  done that,  close your eyes and imagine how horrible you'll feel if your baby isn't healthy,  and move forward.  It works.  

Girlybuff - my pharmacist asks questions!   And this is HEB,  not a small town "knows everyone in town" pharmacy.

Once,  I left behind an Rx on vacation (ritalin) and the pharmacist was VERY probing about why we needed more when we should have a week left.      That was years ago.  Then,  more recently I got an Rx for albuterol - an asthma inhaler - and the Rx contained 4 refills.  When I refilled the first one after just a couple weeks,  he asked about my son's symptoms,  and asked a lot of questions about whether this medication was working well,  did he need a nebulizer,  etc.  

I would think if you came back after about 10 days on a 90 pill bottle of Vicodin,  a responsible pharmacist would ask,  and then possibly notify the doctor.

But I could be wrong.
I appreciated your comment, I felt cared for, not judged.

The not so nice stuff in my previous post was meant for the other poster I mentioned, my comment to you was below my comment to her.  

Sorry for the confusion.

I truly feel like I won't get a refill. I threw away more than half of the first bottle and didn't get more for 6 days. The only reason I refilled it was because I was having a lot of cramps and my ob checked my hcg levels and after the second check 3 days later left me a voicemail that said "I just got your test results, it's not good, it doesn't look like this is going to be a normal pregnancy. call in the morning to schedule an ultrasound." I took that to mean I was losing the baby and got all hysterical and called in the refill. I went to have the u/s the next day and they saw the heartbeat and said everything looks ok. so now I have them it's hard to not take them, so I've been taking them. and I guess you're right, I did post this looking for "permission" to continue. I will consider what you said about telling her I have a problem, but I would like to try on my own.

I wonder, could I call walgreens and somehow cancel the refills, so it's not a temptation no matter what?

Since you're a dr. can you tell me what to do for my headaches? I am addicted to the vicodin for reasons other than pain relief, I can admit that, but I really truly do have headaches all day, everyday. I was on topomax (topamax), immitrex, and midrin plus excedrin and ibuprofen prior to my pregnancy. the headaches were unbearable the 1st week after I found out i was pg, from coming off all the meds. then they seem to let up a little, and now they're bad again. probably from stress and the guilt.

Thanks for your help.
I had surgery 2 weeks ago today while pregnant.  During the week previous I took Darvocet.  During the immediate recovery and for 2 days afterwards I was on a morphine drop machine.  Afterwards I was on Vicodine.  So far I am 14 weeks 5 days pregnant and so far everything is good.

With my 2nd daughter I had migraines so bad the doctors had me on T4's for them.  She was born on time, a healthy 7lbs 15oz.  
I was interested to read what you wrote because the painkiller I was prescribed after my c-section is still sitting in my house.  I'm on vacation now and it is at home, so I don't guess I am running much risk of sneaking pills or I would have brought it with me, but I did find when I was home that I would take one of the pills sort of like someone might take a glass of wine some evenings.  In other words, not for pain but to "unwind."  And I thought I was mellower after having one.  But maybe, now that I've read all the advice everyone gave you, my husband might say I wasn't mellower, just disassociated or something.  I didn't do it often, but I did notice it, the four or five times I did it, and part of my head was saying, "this is not a good idea."  So I guess if I could give you any help, I would say to listen really hard to that part of your head that says, "Uh oh, this is not a good way to take this pill," and take it super-seriously.

Ginger helps my headaches very much.  Try ginger snaps or even ginger tea.  Good luck!

Just had to jump in on this one, I work in a pharmacy and the pharmacist can refuse to fill the medication and will call your Dr. to tell them about the frequency.  Vicodin is a controlled drug and if it is being refilled too soon they will look at why you are doing so.  They may even require that you wait till they receive an okay to fill it from the Dr.  Also, they may network and warn another pharmacy if you try to take it elsewhere.  Ususally your insurance is the one that will flag it and bring it to the attention of people.  That said, they won't judge you, but they are liable for dispensing the drug and it lands on their heads if something happens.  I hope you can get the help you need, sounds like you are well on your way.  Good for you, take care of yourself.
Hi.  I'm so sorry, I wouldn't be able to help you with your headache problems =(  I'm not that type of health care provider.  My husband's not much help either, I just asked him.  (He's a radiologist, so he can give me types of headaches a complete list of diagnoses which cause headaches, but not much else!).  You would need to see an internal medicine specialist, or as you already know, a neurologist.  A close family member of mine has suffered a long life of headaches and trying different things to alleviate the pain, which took a long time to figure out. It definately was a process.  Please be sure to get a 2nd opinion if you have any doubts with your current physician, as 2nd opinions are never a bad idea.  You poor thing!  Sorry you have been suffering.

It seems like every pharmacy is different.  Some pharmacists call me up and let me know how much narcotic a pt has been prescribed, and that there is a concern.  Other times, not.  Honestly, it's hard to say if you would get 'flagged' by requesting 'no refills', or what action, if any, they would take.  I'm good at partial truths (did I say that?), so knowing myself, I would probably come up with something.  ie.  'You know, I know vicodin can be addictive, and I don't know if I really want to take the ton of it my doctor prescribed, so would you mind cancelling my refills?  and maybe 'i'll talk to my doctor about it'....which,as you know, I'm still hoping you will do =0)

Please do take care, and again, I will be praying for your healing.
i too am addicted to pain pills and i just found out that i am pregnant about 2 weeks ago i can somewhat control it alot better than you can from what i have hear in you forum but the addiction is there......even after you have your baby you can ask your doctor for tramadol or ultram they are non-narcotic vicodin it takes away the pain without the risk of addiction or causeing harm to yourself and or your baby i have tried the tramadol cuz i have chronic migrains and tmj....the cravings for the vicodin are still there but its not so hard to fight them off when there is no pain best of luck to you and your baby
19yroldmommy
As an update, my daughter was born at 39 weeks, at a healthy 6lbs 5oz and 19 1/4 inches long.  The Vicodin may have played a part in her size, however she was healthy.
I was glad to find this post, I am 10 weeks pregnant and have had a ton of nausea and vomiting, my doctor told me I could take Phenergan, but I wouldn't take it because I was worried about hurting the baby even though the doctor said it was ok. I had a miscarriage about 6 months ago, so I am trying to make sure that nothing I do could make me loose this baby. However, lately I have been having awful lower back pains and can barely walk, so I broke down and took half a Vicodin, and I was so worried, so finding this post was very reassuring!

numbinmpls: I hope everything ended up working out for you!
I really need someone's help here ... i am 18 years old and just found out about a week ago that i am 8 weeks pregnant .. and of course im scared !!! but what makes it even wrose for me is that i am addicted to vicodin... i use to take about 6-9 a day (1000 mgs) and now im down to 2 a day (500 mg each) ... i honestly dont know what to do ... i phyically need them everyday or i can not get out of bed ... i need help i dont no what is the best thing for me to do ... i no that i am harming my child but im harming myself too .. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ... i talked to my doctors and they said for me to begin to cut back from them all together but im sure you all know how hard and impossible that seems !!!!!!!!!
Kandice, can you seek out a treatment center for abuse/addiction?
OK, so 2 weeks ago I got a prescription for vicodin and it took me until last night to fill it ( I used to have addition issues but it hasn't even crossed my mind, any other time I would have had that persription filled and goen within the week). I am 35 weeks pregnant haven't taken anything more than tylenol the entire pregnancy. What is high doses close to term refering to, I tried to take 1/2 a 500 mg last night but it didn't even touch the pain so I took the other half about 45 minutes later when I woke up in pain 4 hours later I took another one. I took some tylenol today because I am scared of what it could do to my baby but I am in so much pain. I need some more advice on this. My doctor gave me 30 "so if I had to take one a night for a month I would have enough. I ahd to take 2 last night and I've been in pain all day. (I have not taken more than that tho but efven then did I do damage?)
Dlocious, does your Dr. know about your past addiction?  I would make sure to tell them.  I think also, f they prescribed them knowing you are pregnant, then you should be fine, are you taking them for a previous issue, or just the aches and pains of pregnancy?  I was told to take Tylenol for pregnancy related pain and even after I had my baby was not given pain meds once I left the hospital the next day.  I was able to take ibuprofen after having my baby, but before that I just had to deal with it, so I was surprised your Dr. would give you pain meds, unless you have a previous condition. or have an issue that warrants it.  I would just talk with your Dr. about your fears.  For Kandice, I would talk to your Dr. too about your addiction and seek information about what could happen, and what you can do.  Anyway, best to talk to your Dr.'s, good luck, at least you are thinking about your babies and putting their needs first, take care.  
I am 3 weeks pregnant and have been taking vicodin for about 5 years now. I was perscribed them because of a back surgery that I had. I take them on a regular, and get 90 per month. I would not be able to function without them. I have never been without vicodin since the day of that surgery 5 years ago. During those 5 years, I had a healthy baby boy, he is now 3 yrs old. But I will say this, I am under a doctors care while taking the pain meds, and get regular check ups and take them AS PERSCRIBED. So if there is a problem where you absolutley have to take the medication, do it under a doctors care and do not exceed the perscribed dosage. I do know that I do not want to take the medication for the rest of my life, and I am not in denial about quitting either, I will most likely need rehab to quit since it has been so many years on the drug, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. But I do know that I have other options and it will be a fight, but its a fight that I have faith that I will beat. I dont know if I am addicted, because like I said, I have not been without them for 5 years. But I am no dummy either, I know a good way to find out is quit taking them. I talked to my Dr. about this and he has agreed to start weening me off from them and start me on a non-narcodic pain medication to see if it helps, once we find one that does, he will help me quit the vicodin all together. But having your Dr. in on your care and treatment is important, he or she is there to help you. Do not be afraid to tell them, you will feel much better about quitting.
I am 29 week pregnant and suffering from fibroid pain. My doctor has prescribed Vicodin (500mg) or pain relief. I am taking 1/4 of that table for last 4 weeks daily. Is this safe dose? Also may be i have to take this till 40 th week.  Can I become addict with this dose? will it harm my baby?

Please help!

Tina
I woke up with a sever pain in my back last week. My husbund took me to the doctor and they said I had Hydronephrosis.
Hydronephrosis is distention (dilation) of the kidney with urine, caused by backward pressure on the kidney when the flow of urine is obstructed.

To make a long story short, after  an ER visit and 4 dr visits this week I ended up with surgery today. My Peri was out of town for a week and after all the Dr's visits know one would give me pain medication. I am 17 weeks pregnant with Triplets yes, I am high risk. By the time I arrived to my Peri appointment this week my kidney was so bad all he could say was you poor baby. He felt so bad for me that I've been in this much pain for a week. I went  to a specialist yesterday and he did emergency surgery today. The doctor put a stint in my kidney because it was totally blocked. PAINFUL......My point is this, all doctors believe differently  about pain medication and pregnancy. My doctor has been doing this for 40 plus years and I trust he knows what he is doing here. I came home crying in pain, did not want to take medication..... I sat on the toilet for 2 hours finally took  2 pills. It's pretty bad when you sit there for 2 hours and all you can do is pee 2 drops.

Good luck to you.

TRACY........

Here is more info on Hydronephrosis:
Kidney stones are common causes of urinary tract obstruction.
When hydronephrosis occurs quickly, people may have excruciating pain, most often in the flank (the area between the ribs and the hips).
When hydronephrosis occurs more gradually, people may have no symptoms or experience attacks of dull, aching discomfort in the flank.
Doctors initially use bladder catheterization (or ultrasonography) to detect hydronephrosis, and they may use ultrasonography or another imaging test to determine the site of the blockage.
Treatment depends on the cause of the obstruction.

Vicodin is a commonly used pain reliever in the class of drugs known as narcotic analgesics. It is made up of two main components: Hydrocodone, which is related to codeine, and acetaminophen, which is a less potent pain reliever but increases the effects of hydrocodone. Combined, Vicodin is suggested for the treatment of moderate to severe pain.

Medicines are categorized in various ways and one of the considerations is their use in pregnancy. The FDA has classified Vicodin as a pregnancy category C drug, meaning that it is unknown whether it would be harmful to an unborn baby. If you are pregnant, you must not take Vicodin without discussing it with your doctor first.

Sadly, for some women, headaches are a fact of daily life. Pregnancy doesn’t always alter that fact and some Moms-to-be suffer miserably with regular headaches that they wish they could wave a magic wand over. To consider Vicodin as that magic wand is ill-advised. As a narcotic, it is habit forming and the last thing you want when you’re pregnant, is to be under the spell of a drug that you could do without. Withdrawal effects can occur if Vicodin is ceased suddenly after several weeks of continuous use.

Vicodin may cause constipation so if you are advised to take it, be sure to drink a minimum of eight glasses of water per day. Other mild side effects include dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, dizziness, tiredness, lightheadedness, muscle twitches, sweating, itching, decreased urination and decreased libido. In addition, there are also more serious side effects.

As for interactions with other drugs, there is a long list of medications which should not be taken in conjunction with Vicodin.

Despite there having been no major studies on the use of Vicodin in pregnant women, medical advice states that this drug should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. It has been found that babies who are born to mothers who have been taking opioids regularly prior to delivery will be physically dependent, and will suffer withdrawal symptoms after birth. In mothers who are taking narcotics shortly before delivery, there may be a degree of respiratory depression in the newborn baby, especially if higher doses are taken.

All in all, it is for your doctor to decide whether or not you should be taking Vicodin during your pregnancy. With guidance and supervision, your doctor’s advice can be followed, but ultimately, it is up to you to decide if taking it is in your best interests, based on the information you will be given.

im a cancer patient  and a nurse who unexpectantly got pregnant after just finishing chemo. i was on vicoden for pain and had to continue its use during pregnancy. i took about 2-4 times a day (the 10mg ones) and delivered a healthy 8 lb baby. however i did notice he kind of tremmored more than my other babies had. but i asked the pediatric doctor about it and she said it was normal. some how though i think it was the vicoden. i also breastfed him so im sure that helped him through any withdrawls .
Isn't the ingredient in Tylenol, the acetaminophen stuff the highest ingredient in Vicodin?
I'm prescribed a dose of Vicodin, which says it's 7.5 parts hydrocodone to 500MG of acetaminophen.
Taking 2 pills a day will def. not hurt any pregnancy.

I have no idea what to say to taking 8-9 pills of that a day.
I agree with everyone else on this page. You should ask for a different medication or start some detox program for pregnant women.

I've been on it since I was 14 for severe back pain.
I'm only 16 now and 4 months pregnant. My doctor says the baby is perfectly healthy.
:]

God bless you, and you'll be in my prayers.
I have been on Vicodin (500mg) for 8 years, the first 4 years I took 4 every single day, the last 4 years, I was taking 8 every single day.  8 is the maximum amount allowed.  I didn't ever take any more than 8, but I didn't take any less than 8 either.  I hope this story gives someone hope out there, and here is why....I miscarried 3 times in the past 2 years, I do not have kids...the drs. assure me it's not the vicodin, but it's in a Class C category of meds, if they can't assure a woman that she will for sure have a healthy baby, how can they possible assure that medication, especially a narcotic affects everyone the same way? They can't!  I am 33 years old now, I'm tired of being on the vicodin (I had a skiing accident, messed my neck up, pinched nerves, lower mild degenerative disc disease in my back, disc bulge in my back, fibromyalgia, horrible muscle and stiff joints) to where the first thing I did when I woke up is take the vicodin.  Now listen up carefully, that is my history, here is the mystery.......
I decided I wanted off these, it didn't set right in my mind to be on them not only for myself and my liver, and general health, but for my baby, I couldn't bare if I had a child, to know I could've avoided something but didn't.  So, going from taking 8 a day, I took 5 one day. (Now most people tell you to taper off, but I called on God like I haven't ever before, day and night, I mean I saturated myself in worship music ALL day and ALL night, reading the Bible and praying, really wanting to be free and knowing Jesus can and would set me free, I felt Him next to me so much..so the first day I could feel the difference in tapering from 8 to 5, the next day I took 2 pills, the day after that I took 1 pill, and then from that day forward I took none.  Did I have withdrawls, yes I did, but what makes people keep using is those withdrawls, but unless you endure some suffering you won't get through to the other side of being free, and I realized this and I wanted to be vicodin free, not 1 a day, 0 a day...so I endured the withdrawls, saying outloud, "thank you God, thank you Jesus for delivering me"  The three main withdrawls that I recommend you stay home and not go anywhere for about 5 days, the main things I experienced that you want to be in your own home for, is diahrrea, sneezing, sneezing and MORE sneezing which makes you feel so weak, and then the general crawling out of your skin, restlessness that was more pronounced in bed at night.  But listen up, I endured it, and you can too, and I haven't ever felt better!  The pain I experienced before the vicodin is bearable and finally having the regular bowel movements and not being constipated (believe me even if you are having bowel movements, get off the vicodin and you will see how full of crap you really are!) So many toxins come out and I started to feel alive again.  I was living on the vicodin, but I wasn't alive!  I feel alive now, and in clean conscious to get pregnant and if I stay pregnant soon, I will know it was the vicodin affecting my miscarriages, all those toxins remaining in my system for years of not going to the bathroom correctly, my sleep patterns were back to normal and I was getting up early 7AM to start my day, where at the vicodin made me feel like 80 years old.  Please, you don't realize how much better your body will feel and be off this poison.  They shouldn't call them pain killers, they created more pain in my body than I realized.  Your liver is being affected, it's just horrible.  Call on God, stay close to the Bible and you will be delivered.  You will have to endure the withdrawls, as did I, they weren't fun.  I didn't throw up, it was all diahrrea, no real appetite the first few days, soooooo much sneezing, restlessness, and weak, BUT once you get over those you will alive again!  God Bless you, I hope this helps someone!  Endure the suffering like Jesus did on the cross, look what good came from that, He is our Savior and will deliver you if you really want it!!!!!  Amazing Grace How Sweet the Sound, I once was lost on vicodin, but now I'm found, thank you Jesus!!!!
I just posted my story above so this is a continuation of that.  I wanted to add a few more important bits of information.  Not necessarily going in order, but starting with the withdrawls....I also got emotional coming off the pills, not angry or irritated but my true emotions were coming back and I was seeing how not only did the pills numb my physical pain, but my emotions and mental health was being impaired.  The second/third day is when this was heightened.  After that the tears turned to tears of joy as I realized how much more calm I actually was, and how the pills amped me up, and with that you think you are better, but you're not, remember your liver is being affected, you are constipated more than you realize...even if you are taking high doses of vitamin C to make up for what the vicodin does, it's not enough. You will truly see how full of crap you've been once coming off these, that's why I recommend not leaving the house the first 3-4 days.  After that make an effort to leave the house, you will feel lethargic, weak, you will be sneezing (that was a very strong side effect for me and others)  anyway make an effort through these tapering withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms to leave the house and do normal things, the more you do this, the more you will see how you can do these things again.  At first it feels weird not having them in your system for all the things you normally did with them.  But, you feel relief, you feel a sense of freedom that should supercede any feeling to use again.  Also, I had suffered from stomach pain the past 8 years, and how long had I said I'd been on the pills...that's right 8 years! Well, I knew there was a chance the pills were doing it, but the desire to quit wasn't there, and the thought of "doing life" without them, seemed way to scary and unmanageable.  Well, immediately upon coming off these, the first day I realized no more stomach pain, wow, what a relief, that within itself didn't make me want to take one more pill.  All those years spent in stomach pain agony, could've been avoided.  And going back to the miscarriages, I really feel like God had to take those away from me, those precious kids who Jesus holds now in heaven, but those had to be taken away from me through the miscarriages in order to make me stop the pills.  The thing is the doctors assured me there is no evidence that vicodin is connected to miscarriages..and they may be right, but they may be wrong too, there are exceptions to everything and maybe my body makeup is not made to take those and be pregnant. I did what I felt God was wanting me to do, and that was to get off of them completely.  No looking back and that's what I did...I would NOT want to go through withdrawls again...but you can do, taper off how you feel best, but definately get off this toxic medication.  You will rejoice in a way you don't realize until you are free!!!!  It really helped me listening to worship music, I had it on all the time, I mean ALLLLL the time, do this for the first few days til you feel the withdrawls aren't as bad, they will still be there, but more manageable..Day 2-3 was more pronounced with withdrawls for me.  Stay home so you can run to the toilet for diahrrea, and lay in your bed when needed..Do NOT detox while working!!!!  Make sure you have a week to yourself at home to do this.. lF you taking 10 or less a day, it should be manageable to do at home if you taper off what you feel you need to, just keep lessening it by the day. I did it VERY quickly..8 a day for years, and then days later 1 pill, and then none, but the withdrawls lingered a bit...just hang in there, no looking back, no going back, and trust in Jesus He will get you through!!!!  If you're taking 20 a day (which I've heard some people do, I would recommend you need to go to a rehab center so they monitor to you)
Well I'm 26 years old I'm also 16 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I've been on vicodin 5-500mg for years due to severe constant migraines. I've tried just taking tylenol and ibuprofen but it's like taking candy for pain. I took vicodin all through my first pregnancy up till I was 38 weeks then had my daughter at 39 weeks I had so much trouble after she was born they finally put me back on the vicodin 5-500mg for the pain and also had trouble with the epidural they messed it up the first time and then they had to do it again so I had to take it for that reason as well. It took me a while to find an excellent Neurologist for my insufferable migraines started on Namenda (alzheimer medication) for prevention and it was working soooo well but then I got pregnant and now it doesn't work AT ALL and I've had more migraines more severe than before I was on Namenda so trying a new prevention medication Inderal and we'll see if it'll work again but my neurologist is worried about me because I took the pain medication but I did take it as prescribed just wasn't able to stop taking it because of the pain and how persistent it is. I mean a migraine for 5 days straight....I used to have 7 a month and now they've tripled since I've been pregnant so now I have to talk to my OB about them and pain medication and go on contract because I believe it's the safest thing to do and the best because to be without the pain reliever I've lost weight already and I've only gained 7lbs since July. But my neurologist isn't a fan of being a  pain medication prescriber I don't blame her but come on when it comes to relieving pain in pregnant women the only relief is narcotics she even told me herself .
It's funny I never run out of them before they can be refilled but I do run out if say its 40 pills for 10 days well in 10 days or 12 days I'm out but when you have a migraine that taking 2 pills won't help not much you can do ya know. I've been to the ER for migraines but I try to avoid it because of the cost.
So I'm saying I understand I not addicted but between migraines, dental work that is very very much needed and a stomach illness that has a lot of pain associated with it.
I just hope to be without pain for my pregnancy. I read a lot of these comments and I think its funny that people who have a issue with vicodin seem to be able to get it prescribed than those who are in pain. Not always and not being judgmental at all....

I just hope they help me with the pain in my head.....because it's horrible.
and I hope for the ones that need to stop taking it that it works and they don't have to suffer with pain because of addiction!!! I'll put  you in my prayers but just please put me in yours as well that they help me with these migraines!!!!!