Maternal & Child Community
vision changes during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

vision changes during pregnancy

I know vision changes during pregnancy are normal. Ever site I read says it is. I definitely experienced it last time- i noticed it even before the preeclampsia set in. It corrected not too long after having DD. Recently I have been noticing huge changes in my vision, but especially in my right eye. Has anyone noticed that one eye got worse than the other? Normally my vision is better than 20/20, so this is very frustrating to me. I even had to change the route I take when driving home from classes at night because my night vision has been severely effected. I am driving through a much less desirable area because it's better lit than the scenic, windy roads I prefer to take.
by the way, my BP is still nice and low- 110/60, and I just passed my glucose screening last week, so I can't attribute it to that.
Tired, I wear glasses so I can't tell you if my vision was worse but my right eye is worse than my left.  Congrats on passing the glucose.  You don't have to drink that yucky stuff again.
your pituitary gland swells when you are pregnant and can push on your optic nerve.  Once your give birth your pituitary glad will go down and your vision will come back.  it is definately worth mentioning to the doc though as this is one reason it can happen that is totally natural and normal.
So, apparently my doctor does not think this is normal. He sent me immediately to an opthamologist. He was concerned that it is either a detached retna or possibly due to a blood clot. He had them draw 11 (that's right- eleven) vials of blood right there to start the blood tests to check for a clotting disorder. He is concerned because if it were due to a clotting disorder, it could possibly be linked to my preeclampsia from last time.

The opthamologist he wanted me to see wasn't in today, so I saw her partner. My symptoms apparently aren't too severe but do indicate pressure on the optic nerve. She said it can be due to a number of things, from virus to pregnancy to ??? Luckily, the retna looks good. So, she's having me go back to see her partner on Wednesday whose specialty is neuroopthamology. She wanted to consult my OB about doing scans and blood work to see if they are safe during pregnancy.
Apparently my vision isn't actually that bad in that eye. While it seems like it is to me, it's actually about 25/20. I do have some problems with peripheral vision in that eye, and I am seeing colors differently.

So, I have no answers- just more to worry about. It seems I just can't have a "normal" pregnancy. I have been joking that by the time i'm done having kids, I'll have every organ in my body thoroughly examined. 1 1/2 pregnancies, and I've seen a cardiologist, renal specialist, pulmonologist, and now opthamologist. And the MRI will cover my brain. DH was listing the organs left to cover.