Maternal & Child Community
water broke at 15 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

water broke at 15 weeks

My water broke at 15 weeks (5days ago) we decided to continue on with the pregnancy as my baby is still alive, im on bed rest and havin to check my temp 3 times a day other than that the doctors havent done anything i feel they are not giving my baby any chance at living. What is suspose to be done to keep my baby alive? antibotics? steroids? i have heard im suspose to be having these done. also what is the survial rate for my baby?
Did you have a full break of your waters? If it was just a trickle, there is a higher chance of success. They may want to make sure you are hydrated, taking antibiotics and/or steroids (as a precaution). Are you on bedrest at a hospital or at home? You really do need to stay on strict bedrest. If it was a full rupture of your membranes (and a gush) it is less likely (sadly) that you will have successful pregnancy & delivery. Usually labor will start shortly on its own.  Even if it does not and you make it a few more weeks, what you really need is many more weeks to give your baby a fighting chance. Premature labor, or, if you keep the pregnancy, infection, are probably the biggest risks which you are facing. Continue to check your temps, but I would also consult a specialist if you feel your other doctors are not doing anything. So sorry! Hopefully your little one will beat the odds.
I had PROM @ 17 wks of pregnancy.  I was on strict bed rest for 12 weeks for those 12 long weeks I had not fluids at all.  I did have to drink a lot of water (which I hated and had never really drank water at all my entire life), as I drank the water it and my baby and I produced the amniotic fluid it would just drip right on out because my rupute was too big to close back up.  My dr had me go in for ultrasounds and blood work every 3 times a week.  My baby always had a strong heartbeat but not any fluid. At 20 weeks she sent me to see a specialist 4 hours away from home where he told me that the best thing to do was to terminate pregnancy because with early PROM the chances of me delivering a baby that would live were less than 5%, if my baby did survive then he would have many complications. (My dr back home told me the same thing).  But I always left it in the hands of the Lord and continued to watch my temp every 3 hours.  I told the specialist that I would not terminate and take my chances he sent me back home on bed rest and told me to return @ 24 wks of preg. to be hospitalized.  Which I did and there I was given 2 doses of steriods that did nothing.  I then started to catch an infection at 29 wks of preg and had to have an emergency C-Section.  I had my baby and he weighed 3lbs. 3 oz., he was immediately rushed to NICU 3 hours after birth his left lung collapsed he was put on many ventilators and given many types of meds he wouldn't respond to any of them, so the Neonatologist told us he would try one last med and he would have to respond to it immediately.  My husband, family and I prayed to the Lord and had alot of Faith that he would allow my baby to respond to the med.  Praise the Lord he did.  My baby was in NICU for 3 months yes he did have many complications while he was there but with the Grace of God we were able to bring him home with us.  He was given some meds that I give him daily but he is alive and he is now 6 months and other than his medical issues he is a healthy baby.  I don't know what your religious beliefs but beleiving in the Lord and that all things all possible thru him helped me out alot.  I did shed many many many tears but never did I lose my Faith.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Best of luck to you!!!!  God Bless!
I honestly dont know what I would do in your situation, the only thing id be in two minds about is it's lungs not developing with the lack of fluid, but I'll keep u in my prays n hope that your fluid will replenish
this made me cry coz im in the same situation where i have no fluid and professors told me that my baby has noo chance... the heart is still beating the baby is moving its a boy and i love him i believe in god  and i believe my baby is gonna be fine... they merely forced me to terminate and i refused its gods choice what he wants to do ... i belive i will be lucky like you .. i heard by many women if you drink lots of water it helps no it dont amnio fluid is nature .... and god is love im on antibiotics and back at work
I had a gush with blood but water remained at 15 weeks. Doctors were pretty sure that I would go into labor or get an infection. They gave me antibiotics and advised an abortion but i opted not to. The baby is alive, I'm now 17 weeks, no signs of an infection or labor. I'm not on total bed rest but I'm optimistic. I think they're expecting the baby to die so they haven't done much. They didn't recommend bed rest or any changes!
Please can someone help me this is my first baby and im 15 weeks I was having sex with my partner and when we finished there was a bit of water im realy scared as I dnt no what this is or what to do
My water broke 2 days ago. I'm at 15 weeks also. My husband and are praying for miracle. I'm on bedrest. I'm drinking a lot of water. My sisters told me to drink a lot of coconut water, because it has a lot of electrolight. I'm also eating a lot of berries, greens, brown rice, and grill salmon. Basically, I'm eating really healthy, hoping that the baby would get the nutrients and produce it's own fluid. I'm not leaking anymore.
Tuesday night I went to bed only to wake up wet, my water had broke and I was only 16 weeks, I tried to rest even though I was a nervous wreck, I woke up in the morning with cramps when I stood blood poured down my legs without stopping, I was passing infant size clots and thought I had lost my baby in the toilet. I called for help when I got to the hospital they took blood and did an u/s, I saw that I was still in fact pregnant. What the u/s did show was that I had lost all my fluids surrounding the baby, but his heartbeat was very strong. They said that they couldn't do anything for my baby but they had to deliver him or I could die from infection, my mom asked about building up fluids,or injecting me with a fluid infusion and they said I couldn't, they put me on 2 antibiotics through ivs and induced my labor, when my son was born his heart was still beating but ofcourse not breathing, he was so small 9.2 ounces,and 9 inches long. After everything they've given me no awnsers at all, they've even gone as far as to say they don't know if I had an infection, and that my baby was healthy. So why couldn't they have done something more than let my baby die, I got home from the hospital weak and broken yesterday and all I do is cry and research online, I read there is so many things they could have done, there is a such thing as replenishing your fluids and also fusing them back into you,steroid shots,antibiotics. I just need awnsers, I can't go on feeling this way
I am so sorry to hear that you lost your baby.
Today, 5 days after my water broke I still have hope that thru eating healthy my baby will produce his/her own amniotic fluid. I drink 8-10 glasses of water plus 3-5 glasses of fresh coconut water a day.
My morning starts with a glass of fresh fruits and vegetables blended together. It actually is really tasty. I have two hard boil eggs with brown rice, I'm Cambodian so I have to have rice with everything, then my sister made me the most amazing Cambodian chicken soup served with jasmin rice. She added some carrots and celelery to give me more veatables in my diet. She also garnish the soup with lots of thai basil and green onion. I took a nap and when I woke up at six I had some more soup, it's that good and so healthy.
I had a little cramps throughout the day if I sit too long. So now I just lay in bed and read I lot. The only time I get up is to go to the bathroom. I now even take my meals in bed, because I leaked a couple of drops of fluid.
I have a follow up in two days, on June 12 at Johns Hopkins. I hope it shows that I've rebuild some fluid.
Till tomorrow

Ps,
If anybody has any advice I welcome it.
Hi Rekay,
I was hoping you can update your progress since I'm going through what you're going through. I hope you and your baby are well. Much appreciated.
I am 15 weeks pregnant and my water broke, no fluid around baby as the doc say from the ultra sound. My cervix is closed off and they say its possible the baby will form its own fluids but therez a chance it wont the baby is alive and active and I refuse to ternimate until its heart stop beating. The only info they provide me is on ternimating no meds. I am also on bed rest. Gave the baby a week to survive. Stress n feel helless
Don't give up hope. I'm on bedrest and eating really heathy food. I eat a lot of berries, fresh vegetables, organic chicken and salmon, and brown rice. My doc. didn't give me any hope either. But my mom was diabetic and she went back to my country Cambodia, and ate very healthy, eight months later she no longer needs insulin injection. All of this is due to her diet. So I advise you to eat very healthy and drink a lot of water. I also drink a lot of fresh coconut water. I wish the best for you and please keep me updated on your progress as I am going through the same thing as you are. I also take my temperature three times a today to make sure that I'm not getting any infection.
Hi, I know that it is hard.  I just gave birth to my little girl last Friday at 17 weeks.  Her heart was still beating as well, in fact she was moving her tiny arms and legs. My husband had a problem with her having a heartbeat and no help.  I had a little boy last July 01, 2012 (with a cerclage) at 20 weeks, water broke at 19.  I had a little boy in 2009 at 16 weeks and my very first PPROM was in 2005, I had a little girl at 21 weeks. So trust that I know what you are going through. I try to be thankful that at least there is still a chance because I have the ability to conceive when I have friends that will never experience getting pregnant or giving birth. I just think of how I can make it better.  So I was stubborn with this pregnancy because I thought it was too soon to get pregnant and refused the cerclage because I had one with my son and still went through this horrible pain.  I was just angry when I lost him.  Next try the doctor will give me the preventative cerclage earlier by 14 weeks, and start the progesterone shots at 16 weeks. I have an incompetent cervix and on top of that I am a cigarette smoker.  I am going to the health store and purchase something to assist me in quitting, cleansers to cleanse my body, and supplements to make my body healthier for the next pregnancy. To top it off, I am a counselor and return to counsel women that are pregnant and smoke meth, marijuana, pills, and crack while pregnent and deliver their babies with no issues.
I am 15 w2d and my water broke yesterday.  I am a mess. Did you continue your pregnancy? What measures did your doc take? Our baby still has a heartbeat and I can't terminate. I just can't.
i am typing this from my bed right now. Yesterday i went to my OB appt., even though i had a clump of tissue come out of me the day before & have had  several problems already & am a high risk pregnancy, my doctor seemed to think everything was ok & there was nothing to worry about. i never got a straight answer on what the clump of tissue could"ve been but they did do an ultrasound & the baby was just fine. He/she was moving all over & i could plainly see the entire body, hands, feet, etc.... This put me more @ ease & she even took me off bedrest & said i could return back to school. Within # hours of going home i went upstairs to use the bathroom & noticed while wiping i felt especially wet & when i pulled my hand out it was covered w/ blood & tissue. I screamed for my roomate & boyfriend & when doing so a huge gush of blood & fluid fell out of me & my tummy went flat. I was panicked i lost the baby in the toilette & was rushed to the ER. However on the way there i could feel the baby moving inside me, which scared me even more because i knew i lost most of my amniotic fluid. Once @ the hospital i waited over an hour out in the hallway for a room, when i finally got a room it was about 45 minutes before anyone came in & told me anything, & at that all i was told was they couldn"t give me an ultrasound that late @ night & there was nothing they could do. It was very unsetteling to say the least. I arrived @ around 7:40 & finally left at a little after 4 AM., still w/ no clear answers. The reason i went into this long & detailed story is because you had mentioned that you felt like the doctors weren't helping you basicaly, & after the way i was treated last night & the few other times i've had to go to the ER during this pregnancy i've been given the brush off. Last night i have to say was the most helpless & least cared for i have ever felt & i still have no answers!!! Has anyone else been through this? & if so what happened w/ you/ & did they give you any answers?I am so confused & scared right now, does anyone have any advice???Thank you..
DaniAnn,

I am so sorry it took me so long to respond to you. And I'm so sorry to hear about ur situation. I stayed in bed and ate really heathy. I drank a lot of water. But, unfortunately we lost our baby ten days later. Our baby no longer had heartbeat so the docs had to induced me into labor. My husband and I are dealing with lost of our baby boy. I wish you all the luck in the world, don't give up hope. We will put you and your baby in our prayers.
My Reeder
hello, how are you doing now?  my sister is in the same situation, she just went to hospital few days ago and the docs say she has about a week for the baby to die. Do you have any advise? any comment?thank you.
HI IM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOST IM ALSO GGOING THRU THE SAME I DONT THINK ITS FAIR THAT THE DR DIDNT GIVE OUR LIL ONES A CHANCE TO LIVE :( IVE DONE LOTS OF RESESRCH N I SAW IN SO MANY CASES THAT THEY HAVE HELPED MOTHERS LIKE OURSELFS BUT I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY JUST WAIT FOR THIS TO HAPPEND</3
Your inspiration and faith has given me such a positive outlook.  My water broke yesterday and I am 15 weeks.  The Dr advised me to terminate the pregnancy but I refuse as my baby's heart is still beating. I have cried and I have prayed reaching out to the Lord to give me strength. Your story has given me such clarity to believe that the Lord will protect me as well as my unborn child. Thank-you and God Bless!
Hello my name is Ashley and I loved reading your story it makes me want to fight harder for my son I just losted March 16th 2013 I went to the hospital complainting of leaking fluids where I thought I would recieve treatment to prevent premature birth or save my son it took the hospital 2hrs and 30mins to admit me into the hospital without hooking me up to a IV all that time after a ultrasound they told me that there was nothing they could do even after seeing his heart beat 167 they said my son would be breeched and dead he was 19 weeks born alive 8.3oz the doctors didnt do anything for him after birth after a 1hr and 30mins I told them to take my son because he was feeling cold before she lefted the room I asked her if my son was alive she said yes his vital signs was getting alittle low after she lefted with him I never seen him again and 4 to 5hrs later the nurse comes to me with a memory box I asked her when did he pass and she told me she did not know so I pulled me and my sons medical records and she put that he had passed while he was in the room with us which is so not true I have 3 witnesses and after that I was told the hospital could only hold my sons body for 10 days so I called a funeral home to pick him up March 20th 2013 4 days later and it took 31 days for the doctor to provide causes of death and to sign the death certificate after the doctor that admitted me refuse to sign the death certificate stating he wasnt the doctor that seen me that night and clearly in my medical records he was I am still waitting to get my son home and it is April 18th 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
Finally, I find something useful! I am 17 weeks on the dot. I woke at 3am in a pool of ..something, also. I woke my partner thinking I had wet the bed!! I was drenched, as was he and the bed! We also went back to sleep as I felt fine. I phoned my GP at 7:30 and she advised me to go to the hospital.
Long story short- they took a swab and tested- said it wasn’t amniotic fluid and sent me home…… I was not happy to sit around and wait to find out it was I fact my waters broken. So I presented to hospital again and I stayed for 5 hrs waiting to see a doctor. She did a cervix examination and I had clear mucus and my cervix was red and was open further then usual, she did an ultrasound and my baby was very happily kicking and waving around with a brilliantly strong heart beat, I was told my waters had indeed broken at 3am and to go home and rest up and the next 4-5 days are just waiting to see whether I miscarry or not. I am distraught I do not know what to do, I feel broken and I am so scared. I hope I make it, what is the next step from here?
The only thing I know to tell you to do is to stay laying in bed, only getting up to go to the bathroom, and to drink tons of water. From what I've heard if it was a complete rupture the odds aren't good but if its just a leaking sac the hole can possibly close and you can produce more amniotic fluid.
Dear ivery
your comment really gave me hope I am religious as well my water broke
at 20 wks pregnant iam totally in bedrest now iam
21 wks and 3 days . The doctor told me same but
i dicieded to continue.
please pray for me.
this is my second pregnancy the first one
water broke at 28 wks and 6 days after 3 days
i had my baby by emergency c_section he was
in hispital for 1 month now he is healthy and fine.