Maternal & Child Community
way too many different kinds of baby bottles- have a gassy baby- need a...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

way too many different kinds of baby bottles- have a gassy baby- need advice

Ok- before I break the bank buying one of every kind of bottle out there I could use some advice... :o)

Conner is almost 3 weeks old. He's on Enfamil Lipil with Iron (milk based). He is incredibly gassy. He doesn't cry a whole lot, but is exrremely hard to burp (sometimes we'll try to burp him in different positions for up to 15 minutes with no results) and subsequently spends the rest of the day wiggling and passing gas. His little tummy gets so tight and he sometimes lets out a little wail- so I know he is hurting.... we've tried Dr. Brown's bottles, regular Gerber bottles, and the Playtex Nurser. All with slow flow nipples... he seems to "chug" all of them and ends up with a large amout of formula running down his chin (I'd guess about an ounce a feeding). Any advice on what type of bottle to try next or anything to help with the gassiness? P.S- Mylicon doesn't seem to work either- but I think that's because the gas is intestinal and not in his stomach...

help please. too many choices. :o)

Stacie
heres a link....check out these ones..they may help:

http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesandpacifiers/products/ventaire.asp

I had these type of bottles but because my son was picky..I never used them..He would only take the playtex nurser ones...

It seems like you have already tried several bottle brands.  Dr. Brown's are usually a better choice for helping with gas -- as they are specially designed just for that.  Because they are one the most costly bottle on the market, you might want to try a thing or two before you give up on them.  What size nipple are you using?  Maybe the flo is just too heavy right now and your child is taking in too much air with the formula.  You might want to talk to your doctor about Mylicon drop; switching formulas; or, adding a tiny bit of rice with the formula.  Are you at all breast feeding?  Might be something you are eating?

We had a similar story with our son. (kind of)  From birth he rarely ever cried and slept all the time.  But, when it would get close to feeding time, his belly would get tight and he would look uncomfortable -- and we just knew something wasn't right.  It turned out he had a pretty bad case of acid reflux and needed to go on liquid Zantac at two weeks.  We also put ground up rice cereal in his bottles for many months.  Needless to say, we have tried every bottle under in market.

Doesn't know if this helps...but good luck...with time, I'm sure everything will be fine.
I think most newborn babies have gas from the iron in the formula and also that they are getting use to formula in itself.
I know I did the exact same thing with Cody changed formulas, changed bottles, He never burped either, It eventually got better as he grew
But I went to the playtex advance bottle it has a new air flow vent that isnt suppose to allow bubbling Im not sure if there available everywhere, but they are nice and they come apart at both end which allows it to be cleaned throughly.
I use the Avent bottles and I love them.  I just slit the nipple to make it big enough for cereal to flow through.  I bought a Gerber bottle and I think that gave him his ear infections.  I read that certain bottles can do that.  I wont use anything but the Avent and he has no trouble burping.  I have never had bad issues with him and gas.  I guess I only time I had an issue with him tightening up in the belly was when I was breast feeding and giving formula and that was only about 2 weeks when he was about 2 weeks old.
My dr told me if the milk runs down the chin the nipple flow is too fast. If you think it might be the formula maybe you can see if the new Enfamil Gentlease would help. Its supposed to be for babies that get gassy.
i thought that about the flow too, but every nipple we're using is the "slow" flow nipple. i thought maybe he was just getting too much of the nipple in his mouth thus all of the different bottle/nipple experimentation...
Hi there I used avant bottles with my son & it helped with the gas sooo much I would say those would be the way to go. I think they way they r made there is less air in the bottle somehow. anyway I used it & my husbands wife also used the avant bottles & found the same thing. I must say they r not cheap but it was soo worth it cuz i hear you with the burping thing I found it hard to burp my son too till I baught the avant. Hope this helps.
I have a 4 week old and had the exact same problem. We changed to Isomil soy formula and started using Avent bottles. It has helped tremendously. The formula takes about 3 days to start making a big difference. Her poopy diapers are even better. Before they were very runny and now are the way they are supposed to be. The Avent bottles are very good. I like you have pretty much broken the bank buying bottles. Good luck hope some of this helps.
The Avent bottles are the only ones I'd use.  The Playtex ventairs have 5 peices each and they would leak if the vents weren't in perfectly and then began leaking constantly after a couple months of use.  I also switched my daughter to soy formula and so did two of my friends whose babies had gas and reflux and they all did much better.  Good Luck
NUK teats - medium flow rubber

By far the best for a windy baby and difficult feeder. I have the NUK bottles but they they can be used with any small necked baby bottle. No other teat or bottle system can compare with NUK and I have tried everything out there.
thanks everybody. we see the pediatrician tomorrow so I'll see what he says about the gas. luckily my son doesn't cry because of the gas, you can just tell it bothers him. I'd like to avoid soy formula if at all possible (hard to mix and stains clothes) but at this point I'd do just about anything. last night I got a total of 4 hours sleep. I swear my DH can sleep through anything. LOL.

p.s. i tried the NUK slow flows and they didn't work. any idea why the medium flow would work better?
I hadn't thought of that... brilliant! :o) I have some medium flow dr. brown's nipples... I'm going to try those- then if that doesn't work I'm off to by some avents and medium nuks.  my dh will probably roll his eyes if I buy another brand of bottle- but OH WELL!! :o) I am so post partum it's not even funny. LOL
I started with Avent, went to Gerber then Playtex until someone highly recommended Dr. Brown's. They are the ones that really helped. Good luck to you I know how frustrating it can be.
The NUK slow flows are only meant for very thin liquids - ie water. He may take in more gas by gulping trying to get more milk in because its a struggle through slow flow. My daughter choked on feeds all the time but she still had to have the medium because slow made things worse. She now needs the large NUK teats because she has thickener added to her milk for the reflux.

I would definately avoid slow flow teats - sounds a good idea in theory to stop baby taking in loads of air but unless he has a super strong suck it can actually make the problem worse !
I agree with cinn, most babies are gassy as newborns. My baby was extreamly gassy. She wouldnt cry but her stomach would be so hard, she passed gas all the time ( which became embarrising in public) and she had a hard time burping. My dr told me it was normal. She eventually out grew it. As far as bottles go, i used avent. I was so determined to buy "the best" out there. However, now as time goes by, i figured out that she loves the cheap First Years bottles. They are skinnier at the top which gives her more of a chance to hold it. Good luck---just wanted to share my story!!!
thanks. I started with Dr. Brown's. Honestly, they are the ones he is able to get the gas "out" the best with. I read some stuff online talking about how parents are experiencing more gas in babies on a Lipid type formula (with DHA/ARA) particularily Enfamil Lipil with Iron (the one he is on). I'm going to ask the pediatrician about it today. Do you supplement Logan and if so do you use a formula with DHA/ARA in it?
I myself use avent, but my friend uses Dr Brown's and she swears by them.
I use Good Start by Nestle and yes it has DHA/ARA in it. It said closest to breastmilk and he seems to like it.