Maternal & Child Community
ways to get baby moving /open forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ways to get baby moving /open forum

I have my 20 week ultrasound next week and I am wonderng if anyone has any ways to get the baby moving around so we can get some good shots of sex organs, etc...

I've heard to drink some orange juice before and, and to suck on a piece of candy during...  has anyone heard anything like this before?  This is our last shot at determing gender so we really want to make an effort to have a good ultrasound!  I really only feel the baby moving during the evening and my appt is at 2:30.

Feel free to use as an open forum as well.
Lots and lots of orange juice!!!!!!! It has never failed me! And make sure you have a full bladder!
I drank orange juice, coffee and ate chocolate and none of it worked, she slept the whole time!!  My baby moves in the afternoon and evenings and my appt was 9am - hope you have better luck than I did!
I've read on previous post that you should eat just before u go. and make sure to drank plenty of water! That's the worst thing, i always had to pee pee pee during them things! whewwww! good luck!
Why orange juice??
The sugar in oj gets em going
i was told ice cold water ;)
Ice cold water is good too! I know with this one I will drink lots of OJ though because even now when I drink it I can feel the little booger in there moving like crazy!
I couldn't feel my baby move at all during my 20 week u/s, but our baby was moving all over on the screen and we got very good shots of her so definitely know she's a girl. It doesn't always matter what you eat before hand, your baby can be moving a lot and you don't always know it. Some babies move all over but never stop so you can't see a good shot of what you want to either. I hope your baby cooperates and you can see if your having a boy or girl, but there's really no sure way of making a baby turn the right way etc.
.... or we could always do what my husband does to say "hello" to the baby...  shakes my belly and talks really loud to it saying...  "wake up in there!!!!" or "hello in there!!!!!"
I was having an ultrasound, had not had any chocolate or sweets beforehand, and the baby was asleep.  The tech said she needed to get a shot of the neck from a different angle, so I asked if I should grab my skin at the tummy and wiggle it.  She said, "Sure," so I did, and he woke up, waved his arms and legs, and then went back to sleep.  We did this about three times during the u/s; she would say "Wake up, baby, wake up, baby," and I'd hear her muttering it and wiggle my stomach with my hand, and he WOULD wake up.  This u/s was too early for the gender; we found out at the next one and I think that was because I drank a coke beforehand -- he was very awake.  But the jiggling does work.  Good luck!

My baby was sooo lazy. When I wanted him to move I would drink a large cold cup of soda (non caffeine ofcourse) with lots of ice. It never failed. Good luck!
An hour before my appt. I ate fried chicken and mashed potatoes, then topped it off with a piece of apple pie. She was so wiggly that the u/s tech hd a hard time with some of the measurements.