Maternal & Child Community
week 38-posterior presentation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

week 38-posterior presentation

at my last antenatal checkup i was told my baby was in a posterior position which means that if the baby doesn't turn before birth i will experience a really painful labour.  this week ive been following all the tips on optimum foetal positioning, e.g walking on all fours and not leaning back on sofas, walking swiming, yoga.  i hope the baby has turned but how would i know?  any tips on signs to look out for in getting an idea of foetal positioning?

A posterior position can be nothing, your baby can turn around moments before you go into labor.  All it will do is cause you to have "back labor", and with an epidural or demoral, you should be good to go.  I had it with both of my oldest children, so I'm expecting it with this baby who is due in about 3 weeks.
There's really little you can do about it.  If the baby's going to turn, it will.   Sometimes labors are a bit longer and have more back pain with a posterior position, but not always.  

Don't get paranoid about it.  Just be realistic, and if you need pain relief help, ask for it if that's what you're planning.
Hi, I'm 39 weeks and I posted yesterday with the same type of question. My baby is also in the same postion am I have the same questions, like what I can I do to help turn him. In my childbirth class they did say that babies could turn during labor so hopefully that will happen.Do you plan on having an epidural?
thanks for the feedback.
i'm actually planning a homebirth with an independent midwife.  (antenatal care is a bit rubbish at the moment in the uk where i live).  therefore, an epidural will not be an option for me so if baby doesn't turn i'll have to suffer the pain i guess.  my midwife told me that there are a number things that can be done to encourage the baby to turn and ive read quite a bit on this subject.  posterior presentation has tripled since we women have started lounging back on sofas, car seats and desks.  therefore i do have some faith in the possibility that good posture might help my baby turn into the correct position.  i  just wonder if there are any clues as to the baby's position by feeling my tummy?? has anyone felt their baby turn and if so what does it feel like?

I am having the same ? regarding the postion of my baby. I think the only way they can tell is when you are dialated and effaced enough.
I was at the doctor last week and she checked to make sure he was still head down, he is . I asked her if she could tell if he was posterior or anterior. I was 60% effaced and 1cm dialted she said that wasnt enough to be able to tell by checking me internally.
I dont think I would know on my own if he turned , he moves alot sometimes and on top of the contractions who knows whats going on. I am also pretty thin only gained about 23 lbs. at 38 weeks.
So I think all of the excercises your doing will help. I think also when your on all 4's try rocking back and forth. I also make sure to sit up right while Im driving. I look like an 80 yr old lady driving so close to the steering wheel.  I knew someone else on tis forum said the midwife had her do some excercies during labor to get the baby to turn anterior. So im sure your midwife will know what to do.