week 6 sonogram, only gestational sac, confused?
Hi everyone, I have had positive pregnancy tests for a couple weeks now, including major pregnancy symptoms like dizziness, nausea, extreme exhaustion. I went to the obgyn yesterday and had a transvaginal sonogram done. He could only see the gestational sac. Based on my LMP I should be in week 6/7. He said it is possibly a blighted ovum but it could be just earlier than I think.

The thing is, I have very regular periods. However, isn't it possible that I ovulated later? My husband and I definitely had sex a few times after the typical mid-month ovulation time, so if I did ovulate later, then couldn't it be possible that I'm still pregnant but only like 5 weeks pregnant?

And,,, If I AM only 5 weeks pregnant, is it possible to only see a gestational sac and nothing else? Or do you guys think it's more likely a blighted ovum? I'm still experiencing all the typical symptoms mentioned above, as well as the pulling sensation, etc. Plus my waistline is expanding slightly (and I'm thin and have not overeaten lately).

What are your experiences? I have an appt. set for a week from now to check again. They took blood yesterday to check my hormone levels and will do it again next Friday including another sonogram. I'm confused. I just don't know what to think. I don't want to get my hopes up...
Thanks for your help.
Hi!

Normally a gestational sac with a yolk sac appears at about 5 weeks (calculated from your last missed period date) of pregnancy and can be well visualized by 6 weeks on a transvaginal (through a vagina) ultrasound (so it can be missed at 5 weeks), when you can see a fetal pole too. Fetal heart beat usually appears by 8-9 weeks. This is why it is best to repeat the scan a week or two later.  Take care!