Maternal & Child Community
weight gain at 20 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

weight gain at 20 weeks

Hello. I am 20 weeks pregnant. I started out weighing 128 on my first visit and didnt gain any weight in the first trimester. All of a sudden, it seems like i cant stop gaining!!!! I currently weight 140-141. I havent been overeating or anything like that, but the weight is coming on so gfast, and i am scared i am going to be huge by the time i am 40 weeks. This pregnancy is different as far as weight goes. With my first, i started out at 168, and finished at 201. (gained 33lbs). My midwife said that when i started out (128lb) was a little underweight for my height, but i am not sure about that. Has anyone had similar experiences. Am i gaining too much?!?!?!?
If you started out underweight, you should gain 35-45 pounds with the pregnancy (someone who starts out at the right weight should gain 25-35 pounds). No need to stress ... it is completely normal to make up for the weight now that you didn't gain the first trimester. As long as you continue healthy eating habits, etc., you should be fine. Best wishes to you!
I am almost 22 weeks and I have already gained 23 lbs.  YIKES!!
Do u know how much u should gain if u start out overweight
I started out at 131 and now weigh 151 I am 37 weeks pregnant this is my fourth. The doc said it is ok that I only gained 20 lbs because the baby is growing fine and doing great.  I don't think that weight is very important as long as the baby is growing normally. I was concerned about the fact I gained so little because this is my 4th and with the others I did gain 35 lbs. The doc said I just got lucky this time because the baby is thriving. It depends I guess. Good luck to you!
Here is a neat little website that I found.  

http://www.healthy-baby.org/HowMuchWeight.htm

Check it out for the weight gain thing.

Linda
Kind of in the same boat, but I've gained more, and I'm only 17 weeks.

I'm 5'7" and before being pregnant weighed in at 128lbs.
At my 8 weeks apt I had gained a ton, I weighed in at 133 lbs.  Most likely from all those carbs to help with morning sickness.  My dr. didn't say he was concerned or anything.  
Then at my 16 week apt I weighed in at 143.5lbs.  Oh my gosh, and I thought I would not have gained that much since I stopped having all those carbs.  

Either way, my dr. hasn't said anything to me, I'm sure it's ok.  How tall are you?  

With my first I gained probably around 65 lbs, with my 2nd I gained probably around 35/40 lbs.  I hope this one isn't another 65lb gain.  LOL

totally depends on what you started at, i believe. i started the preg at i think 194... went down to 177 with the first trimester nausea. now at 30 weeks i'm around 185. long as the baby's measuring ok, it sounds like you're fine.
I unfortunately am overweight and tall.
I am 17 week and last week at 16, I had gained 5 pounds...
there is absolutely no way to compare weight gain among women as we are all different.
As long as your baby is fine and you are eating right then it shouldnt matter.... I wish I looked more pregnant than fat...LOL that is all!!! :)

I'm 5ft 3" and started out at 113lbs pre pregnancy, I'm now 20 weeks and I weigh 122lbs so I've gaind 9lbs, although I can really feel and see it on my legs, bum and face more than on my tummy. I feel really fat :-(
Has anyone else gained in same areas as me?  I also seem to easliy get tracks on my skin from my clothes (they are not too tight, it's just when I'm sitting downm that they wrinkle and this is causing tracks on my skin, i've never had this before :--(

Thanks for your advice
I hate the weight gain guidelines for pregnant women. They seem to think that everyone should fit into this little formula for how much they should gain. With my son I gained 40 lbs and my midwife never said anything, but when I did see an actual OB, while waiting for my midwife WHILE I was in labor, the OB started talking about my weight gain!! I started out at around 135 and was 175 when I delivered. I was 140 when I started this pregnancy and now at 15 and a half weeks, I am at 143. As long as the baby, and you, are healthy, I don't think it really matters too much how much or how little weight you gain. :)
Lisa, I understand exactly how you feel!  I'm 5' 2" and I started at 113.  I am now 19w4d and only gained about 5-6 lbs.  But my clothes are starting to get a little snug, and when I was in uniform I just looked fat.  So I changed into my maternity uniforms, haha.  I was worried about my lack of weight gain, but the doctor said the baby is perfectly fine and that's all I should be worrying about.