Maternal & Child Community
weight watchers points and breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm currently breastfeeding and would like the weight to come off a bit faster than it is.  This is my second child.  Is anyone or has anyone ever done weight watchers to lose the weight?  I vaguely remember that a breastfeeding woman gets approx 10-15 more points each day to accomodate the breastfeeding.  Does that sound right??  I obviously don't want to do anything that will take any nutrients away from the baby.
That's actually the same program I'm planning on doing just after giving birth.  Yes they do have a different point system for woman who are breastfeeding, and I think it would be a great idea! I'm not sure if you've ever done the program before, but if you follow it you'll most likely be eating BETTER for the baby on the program, then if you were to carry on with your normal lifestyle (unless you had a healthy lifestyle before, I dunno?).  The staff there will ask you if you've checked with your doctor before hand to make sure, but I'm pretty sure your doctor will applause you.
I also did weight watchers while nursing exclusively, and yes, you get 10 extra points a day.  They are supposed to be used on extra portions of milk and fruits/veges.  I consistantly lost 2lbs a week while doing the plan, until I quit nursing and then the weight loss slowed down a bit!
I am currently on the weight watchers and exclusivley nursing. You get 10 extra points per day for nursing but you need to use at least some of these points to add at least one extra portion of milk, at least 2 extra portions of fruit/veg and one more serving of healthy fats to your diet, they also stress the importance of extra water (min 8 glasses per day) and extra protien in your diet to make sure you keep a good milk supply. I like the program, I lost nearly all my pregnancy weight without the program in the first 4 weeks post partum, but as I had started my pregnancy overweight I still had 40lbs to loose to get to a healthy weight, I have been on the weight watchers program now for seven full weeks and have now lost 12lb which I am really pleased with. It really is a program for a healthier attitude to food and a healthier way of life.
I'm going to start it tomorrow but, I'm thinking of telling them I'm not breastfeeding when I am so I can lose more faster. I will drink extra milk though, also get my veggies..