Maternal & Child Community
what are the effects on the fetus when smoking pot or using lortab

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I found this ??? on a web site so I hope it helps.  If you can DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING!!!!!!

This is an important question. Some research studies have shown that some women who use recreational drugs during pregnancy use marijuana, thinking that it won't harm the fetus as much as, harder, or more than other recreational drugs. Although no clear-cut deformity or syndrome is known to occur due to marijuana use during pregnancy (as there is from alcohol use, for example, with fetal alcohol syndrome), there are some possible dangers.

First of all, smoking anything during pregnancy deprives the fetus of oxygen. Just as smoking tobacco is discouraged in pregnant women, so is smoking marijuana. Smoking any type of substance interferes with the fetus's blood supply. This can mean the fetus doesn't get enough oxygen, and s/he may be born smaller in both weight and length. Smaller babies have a higher risk of other problems after birth, such as infections, severe jaundice, difficulty feeding, breathing problems, low blood sugar, difficulty regulating temperature, bleeding into the brain, and problems with vision.

Secondly, marijuana is frequently and unpredictably "cut" with other substances. So the fetus may in fact be accidentally exposed to other potentially harmful substances in the process of being exposed to marijuana.

Babies whose mothers have used marijuana during pregnancy or while breastfeeding sometimes seem jittery and difficult to comfort. They may have some delay in the development of their motor skills, although this delay does not seem to be permanent.

Since we're on the subject of substance use during pregnancy, if you already drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, it's in your baby's (and your) best health interests to stop when you are pregnant. During the nursing period, it's commonly recommended that mothers drink only modest amounts of alcohol, delay breastfeeding for 2 - 3 hours after drinking alcohol, and avoid exposing the baby to second-hand smoke.

All in all, the healthiest choice for you and your baby is to avoid using recreational chemicals, including marijuana, while pregnant. As difficult as it may be to change one's lifestyle, taking a break from smoking cigarettes and joints, and drinking alcohol and using other drugs, can help set your baby up for a long, healthy life.

what's lortab?
Lortab is a common pain medication also known as vicodin or hydrocodone, depending on the actual milligram dosage (hydrocodone is the generic form and actual narcotic name). It has been shown to be okay during pregnancy as a pain medication, but only if used in moderation. I was on it off and on during my 4pg with my son as I have a bad disk in my back and it would cause severe pain from time to time. I was also given lortab by my OB after having surgery a few months post-pardum and I was nursing exclusively at that time. As with all medication, make sure that your doctor and pharmacist know you are pg or nursing.

Andrea
Listen,...i was young and dumb and slefish (i could go on)wiht my first pregnancy and smoked pot the whole pregnancy, yeah, right after i'd leave the Dr.'s visit when i woke up and went to bed...my son, was diagnosed wiht terreit<sp?syndrome at 5 yrs old when i noticed him sitting in front of the tv just repeatedly jerking his head back.  It wasn't a hard jerk just slightly...I took him the a neurologist and he said he had a mild case of the syndrome but didn't need any medication at this point(grabbing my chest-THANK GOD!)we left there.  Today he still slightly jerks body parts, sometimes there's a twitch in his face or a certain smirk, and he also makes funny sounds like clearing his throught or a little shriek out of the blue...it's not as bad as it sounds...i'll never know if it's because of my pot smokinf or if it would havew happened...my advice don't put this extra stress on you or your child..don't smoke
The effects of any recreational drug on the fetus last long term. And more importantly, if you have a baby born addicted in some states, you have to go to court to prove competence to be a mother.
It is very possible to ovulate early in your cycle. But don't forget that those little swimmers can survive for up to 5 days waiting for that egg. I honestly have no idea when I ovulated with this pg, none of the opk's i took ever showed a surge, but it most certainly happened : )

Andrea
HOUNDDOG, ARE YOU THERE?? I SOME HOW GOT MY MESSSAGE CUT OFF EARLIER. I NOTICED HIM WATCHING TV AND KINDA TOSSING HEAD, LIKE HE WAS TRYING TO SHAKE SOMETHING OFF, BUT HE KEPT DOING IT ALL DAY FOR DAYS..(GRABBING MY CHEST)THANK HEAVENS THE DR. SAID IT WAS A VERY MILD CASE OF TORRETTE'S AND DOESN'T EVEN NEED MEDS.  HE'S 9 NOW AND HE STILL HAS AN OCCASIONAL SPURT OF DOING SOMETHING REPEATEDLY BUT IT COMES AND GOES.  MY POINT IS I'LL NEVER KNOW IF HE WOULDV'E BEEN "NORMAL" IF I HADN'T OF BEEN SO CARELESS AND I ALSO HAVE TO WALK AROUND KNOWING THAT.  PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE CAHNCE OF THIS OR MAYBE EVEN SOMETHNG ALOT WORSE HAPPENING TO YOUR CHILD AND TO YOUR CONSCIENCE. ;)-SUGARMAGNOLIA-
Sorry to post here! there was no room on the other..but I DID get pregnant and MUST have ovulated on day 8 of my cycle.  My periods ALWAYS last 7 full days and my cycles are 28 days to the hour! That was the ONLY time I had sex that month so know that is when i got preggers LOL! so i am a believer that yes, it's possible! =)
My sister in law smoked marijuana alot during her pregnancy and her son was almost one and had not even started to crawl. Even at 7 months he coudnt sit up. Sometime after he turned one he started to progress and is right where he should be for his age now(he'll be 4 next month) We do not know for a fact that is what caused his delay but still i believe it was. It was sad to see this baby not doing anything he should have been doing at that age. We thank god every day that he is better now but who knows what could affect him later in life.
I don't know if you read my other post from a couple of days ago, but, I KNOW for a fact that you can ovulate immediately after AF.  I did this month and got pregnant.  One of my best friends got pregnant a couple of years ago on day 8 of her cycle.  She said that was the only day that they had sex and so she was sure that that's when she got pregnant.
I am a teacher, and I can tell you that drug use in pregnancy can cause many problems with kids during academic years, not just baby years.  So many students with learning problems and behavior problems have mothers who admittedly used drugs in pregnancy.  It is very sad to watch those children struggle in life because of something that is beyond their control.  Drug use is something that should be under control before the mother gets pregnant.
Other that tons of EWCM, a + OPK, and some ovulation "pains", the one thing that confirmed that I ovulated right after AF was the fact that I got a BFP on Monday Jan. 26 and AF wasn't even due until Tues. Feb 3, or Wed. Feb 4.  I guess my body was all out of whack this month, but hey that's ok with me...whatever gets the job done!
my wife was secretly smoking pot and stealing my pain meds, Hydrocodone, from time to time. I found out about this when wegot to the hospital to have the baby. They DHS might take my baby away. Can they do that I can understand keeping her away but I don't do any drugs. It just seems crazy.