Maternal & Child Community
what does miscarriage look/feel like?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

what does miscarriage look/feel like?

I'm totally new at this and 4+ weeks pregnant, but I started feeling awful yesterday and then had a little brown spotting last night, but now this morning when I wiped, it was really red, like fresh blood.  Am I miscarrying?  Help!  I have know idea what it's like, this is my first pregnancy.  I'm so scared.
Since you are only 4 weeks it is very possible that it is implantation bleeding.  I think that you should see your Dr though to get your HCG levels to make sure that they are doubling every 48 hours or so.  Best of Luck and don't worry these things can be scary but work out.
I agree with the other post since you are only 4 weeks it could be implantation bleeding, but you should have your doctor check you out, they can do HCG blood tests and see if your cervix is open or closed. When I miscarried I was 5 weeks, I started with just brown spotting when I wiped, then I had sex one night and red fresh glob of blood came out, I called my doctor the next day she thought it was just because your cervix is so sensitive, so she said while I'm still spotting wait until 7 days once the brown spotting stops to have sex. I kept having light brown spotting so she checked my HCG and it kept going down. I also felt uncomfortable down there, like I was going to explode and it was kinda throbbing. I would say take it easy and call your doctor.
The blood is dripping now when I go to the bathroom.  I think it's over.  And unfortunately, it's a Sat I can't get a hold of my doc.  :o(  I give up.
Both my mom and my sister had full, "normal" periods in the first month or two of their pregnancies. I also have a friend who got her "period" a couple of days late and then it completely went away after two days, that's what made her think she might be pregnant...and they all had healthy babies. Books and websites will tell you it is possible to have a "period" during early pregnancy. There are also multiple reasons for spotting.

Are you having any pain? I think the main thing you have to watch out for is clots...The only way to know for sure is to have your HCG levels checked, and then rechecked to see if they are going up properly. Even that can be misleading, I was told earlier this week that I wasn't having a normal pregnancy based on my numbers, and then had an u/s that showed a healthy little bean with a strong heartbeat.

so hang in there, try not to stress out too much...I will pray for you.
Do you have cramping and/or back pain? I think if the blood is bright red and dripping it is probably not good when it's this early, but some people do have bleeding and turn out fine. I would go and get checked though. I went to the ER with my M/C. You are in my thoughts.
Doesn't sound good.  If you have good insurance, go to the er, they can run a blood test with fairly quick results.  Your dr. doesn't have an exchange number for weekend emergencies?  

Sorry your experiencing this.  (((hugs)))
I bleed from the day i found out (about 4 weeks, if that) till 10 weeks.    Brown, red, pink, you name it.  The ultrasound lady knows me by name!   I am 16w1d and the baby is fine!   good luck
With my daughter I bled at 5 weeks and it was dripping like you mentioned so I went to the ER and they told me just wait and get a u/s in a week. When I went back they found a little heartbeat and told me I was fine. I went on to have a healthy pregnancy.

On the other side, I was just pregnant last week. I was 9 weeks and started with brown spotting on Monday. By Wednesday it turned bright red and by Friday it started dripping like crazy and I had intense cramping. When I started passing massive clots I knew I was having a m/c.

I would tell you to watch for clots and cramping. If you see both, it's very likely to have a m/c.
does the girl still gain a pregnat belly for a little while after a miscarriage or does that mean she might still be pregnat
I just found out I was pregnant 1 wk ago.  A couple days a go, I started bleeding, and getting heavier, I passed some blot clots but not massive ones.  I was wondering how long does it take to pass the tissue?  During this time and a few days ago can I still get pregnant??
I bled with both of mine off and on throuout..I did have a miscarriage at 18 weeks and youll know if you are..its like labor. but early on thats normal..it may come and go but my doc said if you "soak" more than a pad a day, and really soak not it just needing to be fresh..give him a call. I wouldnt worry too much
her body is going to think shes pregnant for a while. Thats on of the hard parts about a M/C you know your not carrying anymore but your body still looks the part
my girlfriend stopped her peroid almost a month ago, two days later, she started bleeding a lil bit and that turned into splotching. we went to the doc and got blood work, vaginal ultrasound/ stomach ultrasound and nothing showed up. her hm level was at 68. she is starting to have severe pains in her lower right side to the point of tears. can anyone help me help her? i dont know what to do. the doc said it was either a early preg, a m/c, or could be actopic preg. the preg test at home were pos but very faint. any help or advice would be appreciated.
Last wk June 2,2010. I found out I was 4 wks pregnant. Then about 5 days later I started spotting a brown discharge. And the next day it turned pink. It was only when I whiped. I thought it was just normal like implantation bleeding. But a day later after the pink spotting it turned bright red so I want to the er and they did blood work and said my levels went down and I was neg and was not preg. So they said I had an early miscariage. After I got back from the er that's when I really started to bleed. It kind of seemed like I was on my period or whatever but it was like a gooy blood with about quater size clots every now and then. So, if anyone happnes to exprience these signs during the first few weeks of being preg it's most likly a miscariage. I was so shocked it happned to me. I did not see it coming what so ever. Losing your baby is the hardest thing to ever have to go through. Even if it is 4-5 wks along. IT *****.
im 8 weeks i believe and i have some cramping like my period and i also have bleeding but no clots i mean no big things like maybe a milimeter of blood a blood clot i have been bleeding for 2days now but i went to the doctor and i have a UTI also and she said that the cramps could just be part of the UTI and bleeding could just be part of the pregnancy this is my second pregnancy i have a 8 year old daughter and never expierenced any of this im worried but i do believe that god has a plan for everyone so on monday if i am still bleeding thien i will go to the dr or the er so i dont know any advice or has anyone went through this and is there any hope
I have taken two pregnancy test in the last three days and they both were negative. On june 27 I had some very light spotting but nothing else after that day. A few days before that I saw a very tiny blood clot or something in the toilet. I dont know if I could have been a m/c or implantation bleeding. I havent had any other signs of a m/c. My period is late and i dont know if I could be pregnant. Should I just wait for a week or so and retest? Can someone please give me some advice???
You are more likely to be pregnant,my advice is to wait a bit longer and retest,good luck!!
Hi,just wanted to share my experience.i have got 2 children,we were trying for a third one,didnt take us long,i had light spotting when i was 7 weeks,then it stopped,i rang the hospital though  and they said i shouldnt worry if i dont have any pains, but i still had to have an early scan as it was coming on and off,so i had a scan when i was 11weeks and 3 days,they couldnt see any heartbeat,i had a missed miscarriage,baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and 6 days,i can still cry my eyes out.this was in feb 2010.now its July,recently found out im pregnant again,im supposed to be 5 weeks,but yesterday i had brown discharge,then it turned more red,today it feels like a normal period,but no cramps,no clots of blood.My other 2 pregnancies were absolutely fine,no complications,have got 2 healthy children,it is a big shock ,dont really know what to expect,been to doctors,they said couldnt really do any tests or anything,scan wont show anything at this stage as it is early days,i have to wait till 30 july. Hopefuly it is just a period during pregnancy,really dont want to have a second miscarriage.can anyone advise me anything please?
I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks to determine how far along I was (we had no clue because I have not had periods since I went off birth control), but the heartbeat was slow. They had me come in a week later for another ultrasound only to not find a heartneat this time. I had a missed miscarriage. That was six weeks ago. I started spotting a week ago, and this week the bright red blood started with some smaller clots. My body is slow trying to expel the fetus, but is taking forever. We finally set up an appointment to have a D&C done in two weeks.

If you are not sure what is going on, the best thing to do is contact your doctor. They can monitor the situation and tell you what's best, since everyone experiences something different. I wish everyone the best and would never wish this on anyone.
I am now 5 weeks and about a week ago I started spotting brown 2 days later it was red and  today is Saturday now it's dripping. I am scared and have to wait till Monday to get my blood test results. I had a mole pregnancy 8 months prior and am going crazy. About 50% of the people that I talk to say they have had bleeding while pregnant while others say no. I hope We'll be ok
im 6 weeks and i started spotting on sat and today is monday and im still spotting but it comes and gose i do have miner blood cloths but not shure want that means this is my frist pregnancy !!!!!! i need some help !!!!!!!! i now is not normal  
Did You have any pains and was the bleeding on and off?
I'm 5 weeks and i started spotting about 5 days ago and just today it turned pink this is my second pregnancy, i have no pain just a little spotting of pink, can some one tell me if this is normal or not please?
If the blood is brown or dark that is ok because its old blood but if it is red or bright red that indicates cause for concern.
If your worried i would certainly go to your a&e department as they can have a look to see if your cervix is open or closed and monitor your HCG.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.
If u have bleedin u need ta get checked!!!!!!! U dnt have ta have pain ta miscarry!!!! It dnt matter if u have purple blood GO TA DRZ OR ER ASAP!!!!!!!! I had 5miscarriages, til I finaly got lucky wit another guy, n had alil boy.. Was pg again but at 9:30am I felt like I was finna pee on myself, well I got up quick n wen I got ta toliet it was brite red blood, n wite specks comin out instead of pee, it keept goshin out til arnd 10:30am.. Na itz orangish- brown wen I wipe.. My lower stomach n bak hurtz really bad.. Not a drz paper sayen I had a mc, but I prolly did.. GOD took tha baby 4 a reason, he/she is in heaven wit him
I went to the ER last night because i was bleeding and worried! I was told by my last period i was 8 weeks pregnant and could have my baby seen on an ultra sound so i went to make sure my baby was ok but they couldn't see it on the ultra sound! So i worried! But they did blood work also to check your HCG level and it said im really 4 1/2 weeks I was relieved because since my baby was so tiny you couldnt see it on the normal ultra sound machine. So ask your doctor if they can use the vaginal ultra sound and you get a perfect clear view of you peanut baby :) and than you will get a pelvic exam to make sure your cervix is closed. Mine was so no miscarriage but if you are bleeding or spotting tell your doctor because they will want to check you about once a week to help make sure your cervix is closed! Dont worry ladies!
I wanna know if am pregnant or so . I missed my period for 10 days . When I came it was a little brownish dark color spot and tht spot was for the entire day . The nxt day I saw little more than the day b4 and today I am bleeding really dad . I am on my third pad . I have no pains or so . My husband and I been trying to conceive . When I sit on the toilet I can see the blood dripping. I never had heavy bleeding b4 . Help someone . I don't wanna have a m/c .
I am really scared at this point, I started my period on Monday just gone and it stop early hours this morning.! Now I am having server sharp pains in my lower belly, I went to the toilet today to change my tampon and when I pulled it out it had a white goowie thing on it along with blood clots I have no idea if I was pregnant but I need to know if I am having or have had a miscarriage.? Someone please help.!
I am about 4 weeks pregnant, and I have been spotting, with mild cramping in lower abdomen, and rectum pressure.  is this a sign that i am having a miscarraige (miscarriage)?
two days ago i began having severe pressure in my lower back and abdoman.  when i went to get out of bed to go to the bathroom blood started flowing like niagra falls.  i couldn't move until it stopped.  seriously, blood was everywhere down my legs all around my feet, when i finally made it to the shower a few clots landed on the shower floor and the pressure was finally gone.  could i have had a miscarriage?
I did get brown and the the next day it was red.out of my vogina there did come out like a brown and white thing with bloed inside it.I got 3 of those coming out.I am so scared I am 19 years old.first the 2 came out and the last one came out like an hour or a half out.I get back pain,and a lot of cramping.I don't know if it is a miscarriages.help please
very helpful
i missed my periods last month,ddnt have any pregnancy test but i experienced
enlargement of breasts,yesterday i had a sharp pain on my lower back after urinating i saw a black lemon sized clot of blood,the pain ddnt cease but the blood stopped,just happens after urine,my breast not painful or enlarged anymore but the pain is still there,since am new to this can anybody help me,could this be a miscarriage or just my normal periods?..am so sad.