Maternal & Child Community
what is a quad test
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

what is a quad test

Ok, heard a lot about the Quad test.  What is it?  I have only had blood test at 5w and have not had one single blood test for any thing other then my thyorid.  I get my thyorid test every 6w or so because I am hypothyorid.  
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
hi..how r u..hope everything is fine with u.quad test is nothing but the genetic testing of ur baby.its usually done inbetween 16 to 18 weeks of ur pregnancy.A sample blood is taken and then tested for down syndrome,spina bifida and some other genetic diseases of the baby.browse web u get more information.by this time u should have had it or else ask ur doctor for it.i had mine at 18weeks .
Blank
142722_tn?1281537216
I don't remember them doing it but I do remember them testing for spina bifida at the beginning of my preg.  like 6w or so.  I'll ask the dr.  I'm 21w4d, what other test should I have had?

BTW -

I'm doing really well - how far are you again?
Blank
i am 20weeks right now and recently had my second trimester ultrasound.I am gonna have a baby girl.and about other tests i donno much.At the beginning of my pregnancy say at 7weeks we had a bunch of tests done.I dont know what were they but my dr.says it is common and all the pregnant must have them.AFTER that quad test.Thats it.
Blank
142722_tn?1281537216
I am having a boy!!  So you are due early July.  I'm having a C-Section.  I had a very bad labor with my daughter and they did one then.  I also had a bad auto accident that resulted in about 4 cracks in my pelvis(sp).  My son is moving in belly more and more.  If I am sitting a certain way and he doesn't like it, he will kick, kick, kick, until I do.  It is so funny.  I have picked up 27pounds too
Blank
Hi - I did the quad at just about 16 wks.  I did a post a few weeks back about it.  In short, it's a blood test looking at four different chemicals to test for probability of having downs/spina bifida/trimsomy 18 - it's not diagnostic like the amnio or cvs procedure (which is 99% effective but has a slight risk of miscarriage).  Anyway, the quad has a high incidence of false positives -meaning 97% of those positives end up negative (negative means everything has a high probability of being ok).  The test is 80-90% effective in giving probability of genetic defects.  It's not 100%.  What you need to decide is if you can deal with not knowing for sure and going with the quad AND knowing that you can get positives and not have a problem (you can get a negative and have a problem, too, but it's unlikely).  The other side is if you want to know for sure if something is/is not wrong and take the risk of miscarriage/infection.  The updated statistic as of Nov 2006 is that 1 in 1600 amnio procedures (done between wks 16 & 18) end up in miscarriage (it's higher with cvs which is done around 12 weeks).  Those odds for amnio are not bad at all, but it's still a risk.  We almost did it but thought we'd go with the quad first.  Thankfully, we rcv'd a strong negative, so we are leaving it at that.  We are now exactly 21 weeks with a boy on the way!  Good luck!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...