Maternal & Child Community
what is the difference between period , spotting, implantation bleedin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

what is the difference between period , spotting, implantation bleeding

hey what i am wanting to know is ok i got a really lite period on the 14th of may and it went away after 3 days. where as i am normally very heavy and lasts about 6 to 7 days.  then about 12 days later after that i had dark read discharge that only lasted about 2 hours but was very lite. then today i got a lite pink discharge. what is the difference between the three and what am i having. Please help.
Spotting is sometimes just spots in the underwear, but also doctors will use the term if you had a bleed that only lasted a really short time.  Bleeding is a flow like a period, though it doesn't have to last that long.  Implantation bleeding is some light spotting that happens around the time you would expect a fertilized egg to implant (about 5-7 days after ovulation), it's apparently not that common but everyone ttc gets really excited with any spotting at that time, hoping that is what it was.  

If AF was actually due May 14 (you said you had a 3-day light AF but didn't say if this was the day you expected it), then you could presume you ovulated on around May 1.  I assume also you are not using birth control (i.e., that you are ttc)?  If so, then the period on May 14 could have been light because it was affected by a pregnancy that was too new and unestablished to block it completely but was enough to make it more light.  You might even have ovulated a little late in the cycle.  The 2-hour bleed 12 days later and the light pink discharge directly after it could also be related to a possible pregnancy; they would be too late to be implantation bleeding, but it isn't uncommon to have bleeding early in pregnancy.

You can probably take an HPT (if all the dates I'm guessing at from your info are right) now, but if it turns out to be negative I wouldn't take that as a final answer because it might still be too early.  A blood test from your ob-gyn would give you a definitive answer.  Good luck!  I hope you get what you want!
i am normally 34 days and it came 7 days late on the 14th.
I would take a HOT if I were you. Back in August I have a lighter short AF and I thought it was just due to stress being that we had been tring for quite awhile with no luck then a week later I took a HPT and got a BFP. Hope this is you month BABY DUST********
Well, then, I'd take an HPT.  Again, good luck!
Thanks so much you guys. How long does the implantation bleeding suppose to lasts. and how long after that does it take to get an accurate result.
Your timing on the bleeds (not to mention the kind of bleeding) is not suggestive of implantation bleeding.  If you had ovulated around the first, you would have seen implantation bleeding (if you saw it at all; many women don't get it even if they are pregnant) by about a week later, well before your light period.  A home pregnancy test can give you a reliable result after a missed period, or on Day 1 of the missed period.  I would take Angiconda's suggestion that your light period indicates pregnancy, so you could count it as your missed period; if so, you can go ahead and test right now.  So the point is, take a home pregnancy test for real information.
I have search but can't get answers!!   i ovulated on the 4th, i had egg transfer on the 10th august (ivf)
and ws due to have blodtest on the 21st but before period due i got light period, just on my nikers, and then only when i went to tiolet and wiped, lasted from 16th-18th then just stopped, bloodtest on the 21st NEG, but yet i still have backache, headache, nasea, and no bleeding or cramps as i ussully have, i rang my dr today and she said to have another test done, but im inclinded to wait to see if period cames, as ivf is hard enothe get neg results, i was just look for someone oppinion, ao maybe you have had the same and may got good results???/
then if i had implant bleeding how long after that would i get positive result?
If was implant bleeding??  Normally my period is very heavy first 2days, i do feel like im having symtoms (symptoms), but scared there all in my head, plz help....graham.***@****
OK I KNOW THIS IS TMI BUT ME AND MY BOYFRIEND HAD SEX AND I KNOW FOR A FACT HE CUMED IN ME BUT WE DID IT ON AUG 25 AND NOW I'VE HAD A PINKISH BROWISH COLR BLOOD BUT THEN IT WENT TO A DARK DARK RED AND THEN TO A PINKISH CLOER AND I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON AND IM VERY SCARED LOVE CONFUSED WOMEN PLEASE HELP ME
Well, as of 9/6/07, I was officially pregnant, via hpt. Two days later, on Friday, I started having some light brown discharge. Very light. It's now Sunday and it's still going on. I called the dr. Friday afternoon, and he said it was probably implantation bleeding, but after doing some research on it, it sounds like that only happens around 6-10 days after you ovulate. I'm hitting 17 days right now. Can anyone give me some advice? I'm not cramping at all, and it's still just a very small amount of brownish discharge. My back hurts bad, but has been hurting for around 2 weeks and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this...
i had sex the 8th of this month (feb) and the condom broke...i took teh morning-after pill before the 12 hours had passed...my period was supposed to come the 17 but it came before on the 14...i started with mild cramps and some bleeding and then friday i bled normally like in a normal period, red and thick....it stopped on the 18 (yesterday) my concern is if it could be this pregnancy bleeding since i NEVER have it this light and it usually lasts 5-7 days.  Then again, I dont really know if this could be the mornin-after side effects....I would appreciate your feedback!
I WUZ SUPPOSE TO HAVE MI PERIOD ON THE THIRTEENTH BUT I STARTED SPOTTING ON THE 9TH... I'VE BEEN SPOTTING OFF AND ON NOW FOR 31/2 DAYS . COULD IT BE IMPLANATION BLEEDING OR WAT
Im a little confused, I got my period on May 18th (normal day) and it lasted about 4days on June 8th my bf and I had intercourse and the comdom broke and he came inside of me (thats the best day for me to get preg) So i waited n waited,Mid June 18th i got my"period" does that mean im not preg or could it mean im spotting? Please help me out
I had unprotected intercourse with my boyfriend and he leaked a little bit and now for the past two or so weeks I have had this light off and on bleeding. Is this what they call spotting. Is it possible that I am pregnant or am I jumping the gun
Hi every one I got my period on the 1st of September it ended about the 5th i did have sex and then on the 26 of September i started to bleed again its not heavy but it has been 2 days and some hrs wat could it be.plzz i am really worried.
My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on the 2nd of October. I took a pregnancy test on the 11th, which was negative, and my period came on the 16th. I was also constipated during this time and had a Urinary Tract Infection, but had no other pregnancy symptoms. Then my period came again on the 20th of November. Could I be pregnant??
My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on the 2nd of October. I took a pregnancy test on the 11th, which was negative, and my period came on the 16th. IT was very heavy, which is normal, but it had many clots. I was also constipated during this time and had a Urinary Tract Infection, but had no other pregnancy symptoms. Then my period came again on the 20th of November, still heavy, but not as clotty. Could I be pregnant?? Did i have a miscarriage??
i had my period on 2/20/09 and it last 5 to 7 days well the whole time i was on my period me and my boyfriend had sex and he didnt pull out and then the day after my period we had sex and he didnt pull out and then a few more times it was like he pulled out but a sec late and that happened 2 times when i was ovulating and then yesterday on the 18th i went to the restroom and i wiped and it was pink color and it was like that all day and today it seems like im on my period but its lite and normaly real heavy could i be preg???
I have had pregnancy symptoms for past few days (nausea, headaches, fatigue etc...)
Then I had brownish discharge on teh day of my preiod (period) (07/25/09) and then it was followed teh next day with dark bloodmix with brown clots liek things and then turned pink. This lastyed liek a day with extreme cramping.
teh next day the blood was light and in intervals but cramping was still there..i took the pregnancy test and it came back negative, but still have teh pregnancy symptoms?

Please suggest next step
I am a 42 year old woman who is regular and my period last for seven days and it is normally heavy.  I don't spot at all on the first day neither.  My period was due on September 23 and it didn't come.   I did have sex with my husband when I was the most fertile. On October 2 I had spotting only on the toilet for about three hours and then nothing for two days so I assumed I may have been pregnant so I took a HPT and it was negative. I still did not get my period so I took another HPT three days later and it was negative again.  Then on October 7 I started to spot again and have been bleeding since then but it is very, very light and not the normal color of my period.  Can some one please advise as to whether they think this may be implantation bleeding or not?  
Well lets start at the very begining ....  my last period was on august 18 2009.... i had sex on spetember 3 2009.... my period was due on  september 15 or 16... it never came .... so  my next ovulation date was spetember 29 2009.... making my next period date october 13th... on the 13th i had light bleeding only when i wipe a very very light pink it only happend once. Then the next moring i thought AF would be here went used the rest room and again light pink only when i wiped and then gone havent seen it since. Its now the 18th. Ive take 3 test { regular cheap one's } all came back negative...thing is ive been having headaches, my back has been killing me, i have been nause n throwing up, everything stinks to me { yuck } my breast itch so much i wish it would go away lol... anyone got any insite for me please!! Im going freaking nuts! Thanks!
Hello, i'm very confused

my last period was on the 16th Novemeber, very normal lasted 5 days. Now on the 26th i have been feeling cramps and spotting light blood. This happened last mouth also, period was on the 14th normal 4-5  days, then spotting about a week later. last had intercourse on the 20th.

My brest are a little tendor, but normal for periods right.? please help me as really confused and worried :)
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER FOR ANSWERS AND HAVE YET TO GET ANY SO IF ANYONE READS THIS PLEASE FILL FREE TO COMMENT ON IT I CAN USE THE HELP. IM 19 YEARS OLD ME AND MY HUSBAND HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 5MTHS NOW BUT TOGETHER FOR 6 YEARS WE HAVE JUST RECENTLY BEEN TRYING TO GET PREGNANT I OVULATED ON THE 14TH OF APRIL AND WE HAD SEX SO THREE DAYS LATER ON THE 17TH I STARTED TO BLEED PINKISH/BROWNISH AND IT WAS LITE STAYD ON FOR 5DAYS IM PERIOD WASNT DUE TIL THE 28TH OF THIS MONTH WHICH WAS YESTERDAY IT CAME ON BUT WASNT LIKE MY PERIOD AT ALL IT WAS LITE RED I HAD LITTLE CRAMPS BUT THATS IT I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS BUT IM SO LOST IF ANYONE HAS THE ANSWERS FOR ME PLEASE HELP ME OUT THANKS HAVE A BLESSED DAY!e
Guys, I Was Due To Come On My Period The Start Of April And 3 Days Ago I Found Pinkish Blood In My Pants When I Woke Up, I Then Thought It Was My Period And Put A PantyLiner On When I Went To Wipe My Self There Was No More Blood, Then When I Went Back Again I Had Little Spots Of Blood And I Kept Having It For Two Days. I Thought This Is Not Normal Because My Periods Last 4-5 Days And Are Very Heavy And Painful, But Ive Been Having Back Pains, Stomac Cramps, Feeling Sick, Loss In Appetite, Feeling Very Tired And Having Heartburn (which ive never had before) I Dont Know If I Had Implantation Bleeding Or Just A Random Bleeding. Im So Confused !!
im very young and i dont know the difference between spotting and my period i used to get it just at random and now for two months i have got it on the 5th and my periods used to last 7 days and now they only last 3, they are still heavy and a dark red but i dont know if they are now spotting or if my body is just changing , please help me figure out what it is and find out if im pregnent or not....
I had sex august 12 and now it's september 15 and I had a brownish discharge around august 20th. I am wondering if I have any chance of being pregnant. I normally get my period the 8th and was already a few days late when we had sex. (I know for a fact that I wasn't previously pregnant) I haven't had my period or any other colored discharge besides the 20th and the next three or four days following then.  please give me some advice. Thank you.
me and my bf had sex and he came in me we had no protection and it was about two weeks ago but after a couple days i started feeling sick im suppose to get my period in a week but i got some light blood today and im really confused it stopped after about a half an hour and normally my period is very heavy and goes on for about seven days so wat could this be from am i having my period or is this something havin to do with pregnancy please give me your opinion

I had my last period December 13, 2010 &nd I always
have regular periods, However me &nd my fiance have been trying
to have a baby since november 27, 2010, In December 2010 I got my period
on the 13th however it would normally come on the 16 or 17 of each and that indicated
to me that my period cycle had changed.

If however my period cycle changed I still didn't
get my period on the 13, 16 or 17 &nd today is the 18th and
yesterday I discovered a light brow / light red pinkish dischard
everytime I urinate and wipe. Can someone please tell me what this could be?

I have no vomitting, I have a lot of back pains, I feel dizzy
when I get up some mornings, my tempeture is
always high at night times and I sleep a lot.  

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?
i usually have my period for 6 days but on the 3 of may i got my period for 3 days then 21 days after that i got my period again but this time for 8 days. could you please help me out.is there something wrong with me?love anxious
i had my last period 8/10/11..my ovulatioin(most day to get preg) day for this month was 8/28/11..well that was my bfs birthday so of couse you know what happened. i had very light pink watery stuff on my tissue when i wiped on the morning of the 7th it only lasted for the morning and only when i wiped, i havent had any more pink water stuff and im dure for my period tomorrow.

do you think it was implantations bleeding???
I been ttc since 7/5/11, i had a 5 day bleeding a week after my period was due which was the first week of august & then we kept trying after that...Now i had 4 day bleeding, this one isn't heavy as the other one, they both had clots, but that one was a little heavier, this one is wierd because on the last day i stopped bleeding from when i woke up all the way until about 2 o'clock then spotted & still nothing. My normal cycle is at the last week in the month, heavy with bad cramps to were i have to take midol. This one i had no cramping at all, just felt sore...Could i be pregnant or is this just my period changing?
i am soon to be 20 on the 25th of september i had a D&C back in july on the 26th 2011 my fiance and i want to try again for a bby so july 26th to august 9th 2011 my bleeding stopped august 24th to the 28th 2011 i had my cycle. 13 days after i spotted for 7 days sorry for the (TMI) at first it was a very scant pink then it went to red the last day it only lasted for just a second and hat was a my DR. visit to do an HCG blood test but it came back negitive. i was the pose to have my period by today from what my DR. told me but i have not had it yet. is there a chance of me being pregnant because i am sexuly active and him and i did the bby dance while i was supost to be ovulating. i have taken pregnancy test but they only meausered 25miu/ml and it came up negitive
If I had intercourse the day before ovulation day, 10/19, and have had light pink discharge a few days ago, and a lot more than usual vaginal secretions, sore breasts, and spotting but not a period on the 26th with little nausea.  I also started my new pack of pills 3 days after I was supposed to start them. Could I be pregnant? I missed some pills prior to my period and during my period and had sex on the 14th and had sex on the maximum fertility day and also on the 23rd. My period was supposed to be here on the 2nd and none yet. It's the 6th and I still haven't got it. I took a test on the 4th but was negative. I don't know what to make of this. Is this just me stressing out causing it to be late? Or me being paranoid? Please help!
I am 30 yrs old. I have a regular period every month but these past two  months it become crazy,By September my period take about 2 weeks,then,This October it tooks about 18 days,,, at the last period i got ,,,hav a little clots look like a baby in a string,,,funny!but, thingking what it is?Thingking so many things...Before my menstruation,I have spotting for 7 days,then the blood finally flow good at 8 days to16 days.then,it stop on 17 days,the18 days got spotting and a string clots.but I notice that when im washing my vagina i still get a little blood inside,,,please help...just want to know,,,whats possible happening to me,,before i see a doctor.
Ok here it is my peroid started sept 30-oct 3 only to come again oct16-oct23 then (what I believe is my peroid )come to show up now on nov18 but is very light. We had sex on oct 28 & 29 & again on nov 9-11. Could I be pregnant. Plz help me u guys I could really I mean really use some feed back. Thanks.
When my bf and i had sex without a condom a few times and he'd pull out. Once he came inside me by accident and we thought he got me pregnant. We've been having sex for three weeks without a condom, and we usually do it four or five times a day. I've been experiencing many symptoms such as bases, heartburn, feeling tired more often, lower back pain that has gotton quite sore, urinating more frequently, nipples more sensitive, some pain on left side of stomach, feeling pregnant. I've been off birth control for about three months and we weeny trying to conceive but i feel pregnant and i received my period yesterday the 20. Is there a possibility I'm still pregnant?
i have always been regular 28 day cycle always on for 6/7 days very heavy.
my last period was on 15 th novemebr  i spoted red  for 2 days 26th /27th december  2 tests later there still negative ...but i have signs that i am pregnant very bloated stomach .tender breats .etc.. could i still be pregant ?
i am the same period came started light then got a bit heavier 2nd day but after that it was like spoting kind of and on the 2nd fron last day i had discharge with pink in it and light brow discharge after that but was nly when i wiped now an not sure if its jus in my head but my areolas look darker and bigger and my breasts are tender but not sore and my back is sore and feel kind of nauseus x x
My last period starter on December 3;2011 and my next one was due on the 28th it never came but on January 2nd it started and its bright red what's going on please help me
Hello I'm 26 and I had my last period on the 30th nov 2011 the on the 17th of dec I had some spotting that lasted 4 days not enough for a pad and when go the loo light blood when wipe. My periods are every 35days I was post to have period the 4 of jan but hasn't come yet please help what do u think I also been having cramping in my lower belly and backack .
I have been doing this too. Please let me know what your results were?
took 2 test 1 after the other nd neg so jus gna wait to see if i get my next period x
Well my period is late by 2 days ( it was due on the 10th Feb) and 3 days before my period is due, I started to had light spotting on and off for 4 days and today it's been more heavier but not heavy enough for a pad/tampon.. But it's lasted most of the day and it's light pinkish/ red! I have had unprotected sex with my Fiance at the same time I ovulated! Is it implantation or period? I'm so confused? Thanks to anybody with feedback :)x
Hey guys , i can't remember the dates but about week aftermy last period finished I had a very small light pink bleeding
G that lasted 2days but only there when I wipe and now I I'm a day late for my period ,
ok so i had unprotected sex with my bf on the 16th march and its the 4th of april and im gettin period pains and light bleeding am i pregnant ???
why no1 is replying here :(?
im really worried.i started spoting in between periods a year ago,saw a doctor and gave me contraceptive pills,after 2 weeks had to stop them because of palpitations,went to see another doc and gave evrapatches after 6mnths the spoting stoped,now it has started again a this time a little bit worse.i have been having unprotected sex with my bf for 7mnths.Now i mised my periods with a week a for the past 4days i have been drops of blood,could i be pregnant whats wrong w me?im 22years
Hi I been having the same as you! I'm 10 DPO and yesterday started a light period. I didn't expect my period until the 20th but it started on the 15th. Lost hope of being pregnant :( I have all the symptom but a negative test and a light period. I was hoping it is to early to test and the bleeding is from implantation. Your experience has giving me hope! I wish to know more details about your light period or implantation bleeding. Thank you!!! :)
Hi, I need some serious advise - me and my partner had sex for the first time in 3 years, we did not have protected sex but he pulled out before the climax, but I took a morning after pill because I heard that you can still get pregnant through pre-***, is this true? The morning after pill flipped my monthly period totally off track which I understand. We had sex again but right after that I started bleeding? Could this be my period or is this abnormal? I bleeded for 3 days heavy but my cycle is usually 5-6 days. What could this mean? I took a HPT and the result was negative. We started to have protected sex. It happend this friday and the saturday afternoon I started bleeding, firts it was a dark dark red and then tonight (Sunday) it was a light light red. What can this mean? Please help ASAP.
I need help. I had my period teen days ago and when I went to use the restroom after I peed and I wiped it was bloody it wasn't like the usual blood from a period, I'm really scared. It hasn't stopped yet. I'm really worried, can someone please help me?