Maternal & Child Community
what is?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

what is?

What does AF stand for?
Related Discussions
14 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
"Aunt Flow" or your period
Blank
I'm still trying to get all the lingo straightened out too, but I'm pretty sure AF means menstrual period (?).  Other abbreviations I'm starting to pick up...DH= husband (?) and DS= sibling (?).  Would someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Blank
130384_tn?1221596627
DS is Dear Son, or Darling Son, or possibly Damn Son depending on your mood.  :-)

DD is Dear Daughter
Blank
Thanks! :)
Blank
127124_tn?1326739035
If you check the archives there are some posts that state abbreviations.
Blank
DS  - dear son
DD - dear daughter

Here are some more that I found in the archives...

AF-Aunt Flo (menstruation)
AFNW-Aunt flow not wanted
AI-artificial insemination
BBT-Basal Body Temperature
BH-Braxton Hicks
BFN-Big fat negative, BFP-big fat positive,
BD-Baby Dancing (Having sex)
BCP-Birth control pills
BMS-Baby making sex
CB-Cycle buddy, CD-Cycle day,
CM-Cervical mucus
CNM-Certified nurse midwife
DPO-Days past ovulation,  
EWCM-Egg white cervical mucus
HPT-home pregnancy test,
IF-infertility,
LP-luteal phase,
LPD-luteal phase defect,
MC or m/c-miscarriage,
OPK-ovulation predictor kit,
PG-PREGNANT
TTC-trying to conceive
US or u/s-ultrasound

Blank
very funny the darn son
ok I knew by the context of what is writen that AF had something to do with your period but I didnt get Aunty Flow so thanks for clueing me in.  There are a few more that I havent figured out but I will post them when I see them again
Blank
132217_tn?1217152617
http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

This helped me heaps!
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
AF is the abbreviation for the old gag "Aunt Flo came to visit,"  (my sister used to say "Grandma came to visit" for the same thing), which was a ladylike way in the old days to refer to one's period.  The so-hilarious joke was that "Flo," the short form for the name "Florence," could be heard as "flow" as in menstrual flow.  Yuk yuk yuk.  Here's a good site for the abbreviations: http://tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm
Blank
Wow!  You're a wealth of knowledge. :)  Thanks so much for the acronym tutorial. :)
Blank
Wow, thanks ladies for clarifying.  I would read some posts and be absolutely confused as to what's going on.  Now all's much clearer (LOL).
Blank
I have a funny Aunt Flow story--a few years back my sister was at the store with her husband just picking a few things up. Well, they went down the feminine hygiene aisle and my sister grabbed a box of tampons because well, she had her period. Her husband said loudly "Aunt Flow must have just gotten into town!!" My sister said everyone around them just kinda turned around and gave them a weird look. Turns out her husband didn't know that 'Aunt Flow' is a widely used term, he thought it was just something that my sister said. Sheesh...
Blank
This question doesn't have to do with abbreviations....

it's about your BBT ---basal body temp?

Can you just take your temp in the morning with any thermometer that has a decimal?  Mine reads digitally  ie: 97.8  or something...

Is this good enough?  Or do I need a special thermometer?
Blank
i'm no pro on basal body temp but i do think you need a basal body thermometer. it's not the same as regular temperature. also best to take it in a.m. before you even get out of bed - more accurate the less movement. good luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank