what medication can i take??
snb
hello ladies, it's been a few weeks since i've posted but i've been reading posts almost daily to keep up with everyone...just need some advice at this time about safe over-the-counter medication for a REALLY sore throat...i leave for a cruise within the next 12 hours and have woken up at 4am and can barely speak due to sore throat (plus my nose is stopped up so it's harder to breathe)...i started taking tylenol multisymptom medication yesterday (pain reliever, antihistamine, and nasal decongestant) but now i have this sore throat and need to buy and take something before i board the cruise..any recommendations?? *by the way, i'm just over 14 weeks pregnant. thanks in advance, steph
Have you tried gargling in salt water?  That seems to help me when I have a sore throat more than medicine.  Also, sucking on hard candies like Jolly Ranchers or peppermints help too.  Hope you feel better soon.
i don't think i would take the multi-symptom again... but i know i was told i could take benadryl if i really needed to (and i was high risk) and cough drops... mostly i would do my best to try to stick to just things like sugary drinks and salt gargles for the throat as much as possible though
I had the same thing happen to me last month! I spoke to my doctor and he said that I could take cough drops for the sore throat,  also you take take throat spray this was a life savor! I also used vicks vapor rub and that helped me breath better. I hope some of this info helps! For the cold I used tylenol cold then I tried tylenol sinus it seemed to work better for me.
If you have a stuffy nose, you can also use saline spray & (I was told by my doc that occasional use of Afrin spray can be used in your 2nd trimester to relieve the stuffiness).  Also, you may have drainage that could be causing your sore throat.  I was told by my doc to take Mucinex and it worked wonders.  All of this for me turned into a cough as well and I took Robitussin DM for the cough per my doctor.  I was pretty sick and all those things helped quite a bit.  I hope you feel better and enjoy your cruise!  
I found a great thing for sore throats!  

Mix 1 tablespoon of liquid benadryl and 1 tablespoon of liquid Malloxx.  (however they are spelled).  Drink it down.  It will numb and coat your throat to help.  It's safe as well.