Maternal & Child Community
what the heck??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

what the heck??

Ok, i am so sick of this!!! i can't sleep at night, nor can eat..... nothing!!!!  I've had the NASTIEST cold for the past 2 weeks almost... and been using afrin... i can't possibly breathe without the darn thing, but im just trying to use it when i go to bed at night... and just a little spray on each nostril...., so then i figured i should call my doctor and find out if i can take something (pill or syrup or something!) that would act as a decongestant and not affect the baby... and he said Sudafed would be fine (oh... i also have a KILLER back ache... but i can deal with pain better than with asfixia!! lol) so i sent dh to the store to get it and when they gave him the ticket to buy it they asked who that was for and when he said to 'my pregnant wife' they refuse to sell it to him! they said it's vessel constrictor and can constrict the blood supply from the placenta to the baby??!?!
WTH!!!
so, now im scared to death of any darn drug out there and im just sniffing darn saline solution every 15 minutes and try to suck it up.....
Did you guys hear about all that before???
No, Sudafed is on my safe list too.  Have you tried Vicks Capor Rub and a humidifier?  I am sorry you are feeling bad.  My doc told me to take Tylenol PM for my insomia or Unisom.  
I had a bad cold with one of my pgs. my doctor told me to take tussin- I beleive the DM soution it does not have alcohol and is okay for you take while pg.
the good ol behind the counter because they make meth with it sudafed is what you can take lol.  the sudafed pe on the shelf is the no no.  i hope you feel better, it sucks to be sick and when pg even worse!! hang in there
what pertykitty said!  I had to take that kind of sudafed while I was pregnant for a really bad sinus infection.  I went to the pharmacy, and was clearly pregnant, and they sold it to me.  I had to give them my license though, and sign something.  I only took like 2 doses of it and it helped me so much...relieved all the pressure in my head and sinuses.  Maybe go to another pharmacy, or else as the pharmacy to call your doctor to clear it?
target carries it, you do have to show id and sign a waiver you wont use it for drug making or something lol.  my sons ent made him take that and you feel like an idiot but i tell you it works!
Thank you girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really?? man! that scared the cr.p out of me! last night i was like 'WTF! man!' i cannot even trust my own OB?? didn't even take tylenol and half-slept last night because of the baaad pain in my back! =S

dang it!

i've heard the tylenol cold-sinus releif is 'good' too? has anyone tried it?
I've tried Vicks... didn't help much.. and it was a pain in the a.. literally to bend down and breath on it... my back hurt more and Maddy was flipping over because i was squishing her so bad! lol poor girl....

on the other forum they also talked about the 'pot' where you put warm water and dilute sea salt and snort it... lol... it's said it works! so what the heck! i'll try that too! lol

Thanks so much girls! i'll try another pharmacy tonight...
If you can't get the Sudafed, my Ob recommended "Claritin" for stuffy nose/cold symptoms.  (But ONLY the regular Claritin.)

You may want to get off of the Afrin asap, as it is only suppose to be used for 3 days... after that it causes "rebound congestion." Symptoms of rebound congestion include long-term redness and swelling inside the nose and increased runny nose.  Basically, your nose gets addicted to it and can't breathe normally without it.

As for the backache, I just took Tylenol and used those stick-on heat patches (they sell them at Wal-Mart in the splint/brace area, or else also in the menstral pads area for cramps).  My Ob said I could use a heating pad instead, but with that only for 1 hr at a time, since it heats your body temperature up (the patches just heat the sore area).