Maternal & Child Community
whats the earliest you could give your baby a little cereal in her bott...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

whats the earliest you could give your baby a little cereal in her bottle?

I have a one month old and she seems to be hungry all the time. I was breast feeding her only but just started to supplement her with formula could i put a little cereal in her bottle or is it too soon?
Too soon.  I suggest either breastfeed her more - she should still be eating on demand - or supplement with more formula.  If you have decided to supplement from here on you could give her two or three ounces after each feeding.
With my ds 10 years ago I did put cereal in his bottle but with this son (almost 8 months) they told me in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to put the cereal in his bottle.
My pedi told me that when he was old enough to 'eat it off a spoon' that he was old enough for it............

Now, do I believe all that......??? NO!!!!
I've known people that have started putting cereal into their babies bottles at 2 or 3 weeks old........Personally I think that is a bit soon but hey, who am I??? LOL

My concern would be is baby getting enough nutrients from the breast milk or formula? If you go putting cereal into the bottle then she is going to get a full tummy quicker and may not eat as much formula or breast milk as she should be.
I would say that in the end it is YOUR call just be sure she is still eating enough formula or breast milk.

Is there a reason that you started supplementing with formula when you were breast feeding?
Some people say that they don't feel like baby is getting enough to eat from the breast but that is usually not the case at all. As lots of people on here will tell you, there are very few women that don't develop enough milk to keep a baby healthy and well fed.
Best of luck,
Vikki
I forgot to say.......
I started cereal with my youngest after his 4 month appt......and I only gave it to him with a spoon. He never would take a bottle (still won't) so cereal in the bottle wasn't an option for my even if I had wanted it to be.
i think its too early. they get their nutrients from breast milk or formula. if your baby is still hungry, just feed them more of that.
Some people might disagree with me on this but I think that children should NEVER have cereal until they are at least 6 months old. Starting food too early (especially baby cereal) has been linked to childhood obesity and they simply don't NEED it if you are breastfeeding. My sisters doc told her that she doesn't think solid food should be introduced until 8 months to a year.
When I had my son I followed teh "so solids absolutely till 6 months"  we tried cereal first.  And my son will eat anything!!!  He eats spicach broccoli brussel sprouts shrim crab legs veggie burgers - you name a food that many adults turn up noses at and he'll eat it - so starting him after six months certainly did not limit his appetite for food tastes.  (when he was little he liked oatmeal on toast - sounds gross to me - but his appetite is voracious!)  Best of luck.  I suggest waiting - listen to the experts!
Check with your dr.  my brother had to have cereal the day he was born.  He was 12lbs and was drinking constantly.  So I really dont think there is too young.  My friend gave it to her daughter at 2 months, now shes 1yr. All children are different.  But don't start cereal feeding too late.  The pediatrician I used to have told me to wait until my DS was 6 months (btw-I should have started when my mother told me too - I swear they know best when it comes to this stuff )and now my son won't eat anything !!! He was behind everyone else in eating and now he eats only certain things and I mean really limited (5 things max). Its a terrible thing to deal with everyday. I swear it is because of starting him too late on cereal/solids. I'm 26 weeks now and I will not be making that mistake again. Plus I have a different pediatrican ... more old school ! :)
You should never put cereal in a baby bottle....For one, there is no medical evidence saying that it 'fills' a baby up more.
If your baby is hungry, give your baby bigger bottles...say an 8 ounce one instead of a 4 or a 6.
Secondly, one of my best friends works in an emergency childrens dentist office and she is a firm believer after working there for over 10 years that anything but formula or water in a bottle causes more tooth decay than anything else.
She has seen more and more children under the age of 2 having to be put under to have rotten teeth removed.  All of which she directly believes is related to juice, cereal, and even pop being put into babies bottles.

Plus, mixing anything into a bottle of formula if not done correctly, can mess up the ratio of water to formula which in turn can mess up your babies electrolyte (sp?) balance.

All of my children where huge eaters and 4 or 6 ounce bottles where not enough for them sometimes.  When they go through growth spurts....2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, etc....they tend to be hungry all the time then, when their growth spurt is over, they usually sleep a lot more and tend to eat less after the growth spurt.

I just would not recommend cereal in the bottle.  My personal feeling and from talking to a lot of pediatricians and childrens dentist, it just doesn't do much to make them less hungry and it has the posibility of doing more harm than good.

Granted, this is your baby so, what you feel is right for your child probably is....mothers intuition is always the best way to go.
Congrats on your baby and good luck with the feeding thing.

I really dont know whats *right* and whats *wrong* in this situation.. I just know im not raising my child from a book.. I think whenever you baby is ready for solid foods they will let you know!! I myself never gave ashton any cereal from a spoon until he was about 3 1/2 months old but i stopped it because he got constipated on it.. so i started giving him stage one baby foods.. fruits and veggies only.. and i tell you.. hes never had a problem since then.. or with the food.. he takes it from a spoon and he knows how to grab a spoon and shove it in his mouth when he wants more =c).. lol.. now when i eat.. ashtons mouth is open.. i guess he knows what a spoon is.. and he wants food.. so i myself think my baby is ready for it.. if you feel like your baby isnt ready for food.. then wait.. no need in rushing!!

~*Chloe*~
thank you all for your input. i wasnt sure about how comfortable i would be giving her cereal this early but several people told me to and i was wondering if any of you agreed to it. i guess i will continue feeding her more often and i will try harder to keep her awake during them. thanks
Hi there first off  you are suppose to never put the cereal in a bottle and solids should begin at 4 months  1 month is way to soon  breast fed babies do require more feedings  formula fed babies tend to last longer between feedings, also growth spurts may make baby hungrier too.Maybe your baby is not staying long enough on the breast to be full, Im sure there is a breast feeding clinic near where u live maybe call them
Hope all goes well
I have given both my children, on advice from their doctor, added cereal at 2 and a half months. If I hadn't my guys would have been drinking about 10 9 oz bottles a day. It helps fill them up! Might cause constipation but if they just have milk, milk and more milk then their little tummies hurt from that also. I think cereal is good for big appetites.