Maternal & Child Community
when can babies crawl out of a crib?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when can babies crawl out of a crib?

i had a scare today, i was watching my neice(who just turned 2) and i put her in my dds crib so i could shower, i shower with the bathroom door open and dd's door open so i can hear if they fall out or something happins, well i got out of the shower and there she was sitting on the top stair, (our bathroom and bedrooms are on the second floor) luckly she knows how to climb stairs and not fall down, but my dd does not, she hasnt crawled out of the crib yet (shes 13 months) should i be worried shes going to figure out how to crawl out? my niece is always in her crib at her house ( my sister is a drug user and the poor baby is always in the crib) but my dd doesnt even sleep in her crib yet, so i dont think she could possibly know how to get out of it yet, anyone know when their little monkeys started to crawl out? i was scared about it before, but know that trinity( niece) did it, im even more worried (DH works until 7pm, so its hard to wait until then t shower)
Every kid is different.  MY first son never crawled out of his crib--just refused to sleep in it at one point.  My second son would sleep in his crib and then at like nineteen months he would crawl out of it.  So I think it depends on their ability to climb and how scared they are in relation to things.
I agree with previous poster...every kid IS different.  My two kids never once tried to climb out of their cribs, but my neice started climbing out of hers when she was 10 months old!  She was a daredevil climber!  They had to buy a crib tent...something made for cribs that is mesh and ties over the crib so kids can't crawl out.  It has a zipper so you can get your baby out without taking it off.  It looked pretty strange, but it worked for her.
i'm not sure about when babies crawl out of cribs, but you might want to put a gate up at the top of your stairs for general safety anyway. at 13 mos your dd must be walking and it only takes a second for an accident to happen.
i'm also a little concerned about your sister's baby being in the crib all the time while your sister is using drugs. i know this subject is not what you posted about but you did mention it and it is a pretty serious matter. i just hope she is getting help for her baby's sake.
I would first suggest getting a gate for the top of those stairs.  Secondly as to when they try to climb out... for my kids it was around 16 months or so, then I could hear their belly's on the crib screeching on its way down.
it does depend on the kid, and their personality. my 3 babies NEVER climbed out of the crib. my two boys slept in the thing until they were 3, (long story, don't ask) and still never tried to climb out. they just sat there and hollered until I came to get them! lol...

but my friend's daughter was fiesty and adventrous as a baby, and one day while watching her at the age of NINE MONTHS I put her in our crib for a minute so I could tend to my baby and THUMP, she was on the floor, in like 45 seconds flat.

I think you would probably know if your baby was capable of that.

but, it is better to be safe than sorry. I try to keep my whole house baby proof whenever I have a baby under 2, you never know what can happen whenever you turn your head for a moment. buy a gate!
im looking into gates at the moment, i just want to find the best and most sturdy one i can, it makes me nervous since the space where the stairs are is curved, so my anxiety rises again, im scared shes going to push the gate and fall down, im going to buy one of the ones thats a little longer because my opening is big (that sounded funny)

fitzy- yes i am very concerned for her baby, she is the sweetest little thing, and is bounced back from moms house to dads (which ever one is willing to take her) im ashamed to admit this but i actually called social services on her, they took custody away (after drug perifinalia was found) she got charged with neglect and got her back 4 weeks later, the system is so flawed that they would even think of putting a baby in that situation, it makes me sick at the thought, i offered to take her for however long she needed, obviously she refused (although i dont know why, she doesnt want her anyway) and the social workers are so busy with all the cases, they wont consider taking parental rights away (this was a big ordeal about 6 months ago) so basically i take her whenever they let me :( i wish they would just let me keep her for good, sounds horrible but i would give that child so much more then the life her mother is leading, she (my sister) is my half sister on my dads side, her mother is a big time drug user, so she ended up just like that, and my fear is that the baby is going to be the same
My dd climbed out at 15 mos. She would hoist herself up on the corner, and then just fall over the edge onto her head. I was horrified. First we lowered her mattress as low as we could. This kept her for a few more weks, but then she was at it again. So we took the side off of the crib, and tried to get her to use it as a toddler bed. I really still wanted her in a crib though, and she hated it as a toddler bed. She would cry until she was too tired, then fall asleep in the chair instead. I ran into a friend, who asked me about the big bump on dd's head. When I told her what was going on, she suggested a crib tent. You can find them online, or at Babies r Us. It is a mesh tent that attaches to the top of the crib with a lot of strong velcro. It unzips to let you get baby out. They cost about $70. It sees like a lot, but that's less than most co-pays to the ER. My dd LOVED it. She was so relieved when we put the side back on her crib. She would remind me every night to zip her tent. Not only that, but I could rest again. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a climbing baby.
Here is a link to one on Amazon. Lots of other sites sell them too.
http://www.amazon.com/Tots-Mind-Cozy-Crib-White/dp/B00014PLAY
sounds like a wonderful idea, i think we will have to pick one of those up along with the baby gates, only problem with my dd is she despises that crib, lol she cries when were walking up the stairs in the morning because she knows shes going to have to get in it, i know i should have put her in it when she was younger but i guess you live and learn, shes slept with me since day one, i think with the next one we will have to bring a bassinet into our room so we dont have 2 babies sleeping with us, our beds a full size, and believe me its "full" already thanks for the advise!
it sounds as though you really care about your neice and have done alot to try and help her and you should NOT be ashamed of that. in fact i urge you to keep trying. a women who uses drugs should never be able to have custody of a baby. she can't' even take care of/love herself, how can she do the same for a little innocent baby. and you are right, if that baby does not get out of that environment the cycle will probably continue. i wish you well in all your efforts.
Maybe you could help her like her crib more by getting a favorite toy or lovey of hers, and only letting her have it in the crib. Also, soft music may calm her down in the crib too.